Old LaScala refinish

Taz

So these 70's LaScala that I thought were originally black were in fact Lacquered Birch. Have some scratches. One is somewhat deep. I don't know if it goes through top finish ply or not.

However I'm wondering if I can fill the deeper scratch with Lacquer after removing the paint, and bring it up to level with the rest of the surface after sanding the black off.

Have found my belt sanders, but that damn random orbital is still hiding somewhere.

I have a Heat Gun, but have never used it for removing paint. Have thought of using some kind of solvent but am afraid it will make the black soak further into the wood.

I don't expect perfection, but would like nice finish. I thought I would apply with a brush, but do have a paint gun at my folks.

Or I could use the professional airless made for painting houses. Not a pro by a long ways, just like nice tools. Bought it for painting excessive decks around the house. Wife then had most of the decks tore out and cement patio with fountains put in.

Harassment, opinions, good advice, even bad advice welcome.

Edited by Taz

since it sounds like you are the guy who will be doing the repair why don't you get some scrap plywood samples with the same veneer and scratch them up the same and see what you can do with the samples. You could have a refinish shop do the work if you cannot achieve the results you expect. Have fun learning and then repairing. Best regards Moray James.

Will these be inside or outside (garage) speakers.

Are you trying to replicate the original finish or just want something that looks nice?

Want to bring them inside into the same room with the Khorns if I can. WAF would go a long way in making this happen.

I'm thinking maybe I can bring back the wood finish instead of the black that they are now.

I've started a little hand sanding and have not hit wood yet. Kind of afraid to turn the Belt sanders loose on them. One has 40 grit paper laying around for it. Probably do more harm when good with that one.

I'm thinking if I can get all the black off and have a deep wood finish might be nice. Or take the easy way out and get a few cans of black spray paint and be done with it?

Damn random orbital took a hell of a time to go into hiding.

I would be worried about a belt sander. Black paint and removing it from veneer could remove the veneer and gt you into the substrate. I'd be much more likely to try the orbital sander with a medium grit to control how much surface is taken off. If only you could find it!

Taz,

Your instincts are right on leaving the belt sanders off.

I think the biggest challenge on refinishing LaScalas is dealing with inside the dog house. Refinishing with black pretty much solves that problem. Have seen some nice looking refinish and/or veneer jobs with Belle type grills added to cover that hard to get to places.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you could get the black off except where you can't really reach you could always put grills to cover the rest, like these Belle's ?

post-9700-0-54140000-1397022960_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1