Streaming music too Older equipment?

I guess im worried that if i spend the money on one of these things it wont control volume....some of these things are getting really close to buying a entry level receiver!! Like Marantz nr1405 on the bay fairly reasonable. I think I might be better off to do that and have it set up in the bedroom..that will give an excuse to buy more speakers!! Anyway, thats my biggest concern as I dont even know if the parasound has remote capability, or how that would work!!

• Moderators
Anyway, thats my biggest concern as I dont even know if the parasound has remote capability, or how that would work!!

Whatever you stream to the Parasound preamp you would plug in just like if it were a Cd player with RCA connectors. The Parasound won't know if it's signal is streaming from something or a CD playing, it would play.

The Parasound preamp should have a volume control, right ? You said Parasound preamp or is it just an amp ?

• Moderators

Yes to the last question it will work as a volume control

What I do with the car radio is put the phone/computer set about 3/4 volume, I then set the car radio = preamp at a volume that is in the middle of where I may want the volume. When you increase or decrease the phone/ computer it raises or lowers the overall volume by a pretty good bit.

What you may want to do the first time is start with the phone/computer about 1/2 volume and the preamp volume on zero, then turn up the preamp until you start to get some sound, just until you figure how much volume it takes. Adjust how you like, after getting an idea of volume try to keep the input volume= phone/computer around 3/4 or a little more with an average volume you like, this will give you some control as you play the phone/ computer.

It works great for me ? I love it really, between Pandora and Spotify there is a ton of music free, and I can use the phone as the control. I got a 15' cable from Monoprice with a male 3.5mm on each end (headphone size) it plugs into the phone headphone jack and into the front of the car radio. You would have a male 3.5 mm on one end and L&R RCA male on the other, to plug into your preamp. Same way I use it but different connector.

I use a car radio instead of a preamp because it's outdoors but under a roof, still didn't want to take a chance with anything else. It sure beats changing Cd's or FM with a ton of commercials.

Edited by dtel