RARE CARY 45 mono block SET AMPS

joessportster

I know the seller and if I had the $$$$$ I would buy these without pause. I have bought several pieces from Blair and he is meticulas with his gear

I have heard these amps several times and they are superb, It kills me I don't have the money for these

you wont find a better 45 SET amp IMHO

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-Tube/Cary-Audio/CAD-45SE/SET-monoblock-amplifiers/108320

• Like 1

Joe I have purchased gear from you before, & have always thought your reviews were accurate, & I am interested in purchasing the 45's. Looking back at the reviews on Google it appears they were made in about 06 & the new cost was $2,500. a pair,if that is correct dont you think the sellers price is a little to high? What am I missing here?

Joe I have purchased gear from you before, & have always thought your reviews were accurate, & I am interested in purchasing the 45's. Looking back at the reviews on Google it appears they were made in about 06 & the new cost was $2,500. a pair,if that is correct dont you think the sellers price is a little to high? What am I missing here?

I read where there were only 6 sets built. Anyone know if this is correct?

I read the same thing Max, & wondered why only 6 would be built. There does not seem to be a lot of info on these. Anyone else heard them or have thoughts or info? I have contacted seller -waiting for reply.

You might drop Dennis Had a note and ask him directly. He can be found on ebay under this seller name http://www.ebay.com/usr/radioman731

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were only six pair produced since these were a special order item that Dennis Had was willing to do.

I've talked to Dennis Had on several occasions over the years and it was very obvious that he has a real passion for these DHT SE amplifiers that he has designed over these many years. In several of these conversations I was doing modifications to Cary amplifiers and Pre-amplifiers that I've owned due to the fact that I like to optimize/squeeze the last bit of performance from them when mated to my KHorns and now Jubilees.

I know from a conversation with him about my Cary CAD 2A3i push/pull amplifier that fewer than 100 of them were produced.

These 45s look to be fundamentally based on his previous 2A3 SE and 300B SE designs but of course optimized for the 45.

miketn

• Like 1

I have a love hate relationship at the moment with seeing amps such as these dual cary monos being posted. What a wonderful addition to a collection or a lifetime of daily driving. I dont have what brings them home to me so im outta here. cheers

Thanks for the help Mike. It's great to hear from some one who knows Mr. Had & has the hands on experience with Set gear that you have. I have made an offer we will see what happens....I have loved the Moondogs & the Sophia 300b but cant control the call to keep searching for "The Sound" . >>>

If your really wanting a nice pair of 45 Mono's; I have been considering selling my Welborne Star Chief 45's. Try finding a nice pair of these for sale - it isn't easy. They are very good.

Classy Move, May I suggest if you wish to sell your amps you start a thread :emotion-45:

Blair is a nice guy, I doubt Dennis Had would build these amps for 2500 today, and IMHO when you take todays market the rarity, and the SQ of the amps Blairs price is reasonable

Again if my situation were different I would be buying his amps and Oris horns

Sorry, you are right, I shouldn't have interrupted this thread. No harm meant.

No harm, No foul. I actually thought about buying chiefs several years ago, but that was when welborne was having a lot of bad press about actually delivering products so I stepped away. I did own drd 45, and 2a3 by welborne his were some very good amps

Blair said he has a buyer from the Forum here so maybe when they receive the amps they will post impressions. I wont disclose names I will let the buyer chime in if they like