oris horn with drivers

joessportster

That is a very reasonable price. I spent close to that on mine and I don't have that level of drivers. I got mine directly from Bert, so got mine in a raw state, shipped from Europe.

I stopped looking for speakers once I set my system up with them and my open baffle LF.

They are very large, so consider the WAF and room size if they are issues. For comparison, my oris sit atop dual 15" Kappalite drivers!

post-8233-0-51460000-1396937401_thumb.jp

Edited by Rudy81
  • Like 1

I did not realize quite the size :o Yes i knew they were large although not THAT BIG. That really is a great price then i see. I have never heard them although at the moment preparing to possible move in a different direction in 2 ch they look to be an option i cannot overlook. Very interesting. Thank you for pointing that out. Other horns i am looking into are in similar size although in rectangular shape. Oris horns always stand out in at least my opinion 2 channel audiophiles without doubt. Wow lol them are big!

• Like 1

The 150 horn is basically the size of the lascalla bass bin, I designed and used several oris systems using aer, lowther, and fostex drivers and the ones blair is offering are among the very best

I once took a lascalla cut off the top hat and mounted the oris 150 on top it sounded great except for bass roll off, tons of options on these. If yyou have K-horns and want to improve on the mids / highs this is perfect for that

The only thing I have a question about with the ad in question is why the Lowther drivers were reconed with AER materials. I don't think that is commonly done and I would suspect that the drivers will lose some of their value in that state. However, it is tough to tell without listening to the system.

I am plenty happy with my Tang Band drivers and would only spend the money to upgrade if I could try other drivers out first. I just have never been able to justify the price to improvement ratio of drivers that cost thousands of dollars....but that's just me.

The first set of Oris horns I ever heard had AER driver IIRC and they blew me away. I spent the next several years trying to improve my various Klipsch speakers until I finally just got what I had wanted to begin with. It was a great journey experimenting with the entire Heritage line.

The only thing I have a question about with the ad in question is why the Lowther drivers were reconed with AER materials. I don't think that is commonly done and I would suspect that the drivers will lose some of their value in that state. However, it is tough to tell without listening to the system.

I am plenty happy with my Tang Band drivers and would only spend the money to upgrade if I could try other drivers out first. I just have never been able to justify the price to improvement ratio of drivers that cost thousands of dollars....but that's just me.

The first set of Oris horns I ever heard had AER driver IIRC and they blew me away. I spent the next several years trying to improve my various Klipsch speakers until I finally just got what I had wanted to begin with. It was a great journey experimenting with the entire Heritage line.

Very interesting journey. Thank you for sharing. I am very content with what im using right now nonetheless i am still taking the journey. I have made a couple great contacts lately that have helped provide me with the next steps on my journey. Im sure i will come across oris gear along the way. Like i said i am very content as my setups are right now and have other options if i had more room right now as well. I am attached to klipsch heritage at this moment yet again exploring other various options. Regardless i am stuck in 2ch for what i see to be forever. Still have a couple theaters going although strictly for film alone.

The drivers were not reconed out of necessity, As I recall there was a big thread on the oris forum that discussed this and how it improved the sound, I can tell you IMHO the drivers sound easily on par with the AER Md3 that blair had setting right next to them in a 200 horn, we had a couple sessions where we would switch between the 2 horns Very entertaining

On a side not I spoke with Blair last night He is only selling as a means to simplify his system, He was quad amping as my memory serves, and he is tired of the tweaking

The oris make a superb 2 way set up as well

I figured the combination of AER and Lowther pieces was an attempt to fix some of the issues reported with the Lowther's. I hope they find a good home.

Yea me too. I read your earlier post about Tang Band drivers, I have never heard of anyone using them in connection with Oris, Ill have to look around sounds interesting

If I had the $$$ I would buy these just to store them till settled, It would make for a very nice 2 or 3 way set up.

I figured the combination of AER and Lowther pieces was an attempt to fix some of the issues reported with the Lowther's. I hope they find a good home.

Yea me too. I read your earlier post about Tang Band drivers, I have never heard of anyone using them in connection with Oris, Ill have to look around sounds interesting

If I had the $$$ I would buy these just to store them till settled, It would make for a very nice 2 or 3 way set up.

The Tang Band are extremely good drivers for the price. In order to get a full 20Hz-20kHz, I have my mains set up as three way with the Oris, OB LF and actively crossed RSW-15s. Bang for the buck, it doesn't get much better from all my experimentation. I think ANY two way system has to have something to pick up the very low end toward 20Hz.

I would love to have a set of high end AER drivers, but as I said, I just can't justify the money when the Tang Bands do such a great job. My guess is the AER's would do better in the very high end, but the difference would be small.

I wondered when Rudy was going to chime in. With the right amount of space (which he has, they are indeed large) these sound amazing. Not sure how well they would work in an intimate nearfield setting.

From what I have read, they also work well in a nearfield setting, as long as you don't mind the size of the horns. Granted, the more room they have, the better the experience.

Blair sent m some photos of these- impressive, especially the 7ft. woofer cabinet. What if any xover do these require?

Only cross over necessary is from the horn down for your bass cabinet. Bi-amp them SS on bottom and SET on top cross over anywhere from 140 to 200 (depends on your preference) and you will be in Horn Heaven

I personally like active crossovers, you could even use a plate amp with built in cross over on your bass cabinet for a cheap alternative the horn itself is ran full range