For sale: La Scalas, black, perfect cabinets, ALK crossovers

Mark Williams

Mark-

Your price is not out of line considering the ALK crossovers and the effort you have put into the paint job. I for one appreciate the 'spatter' paint job that gives the LS's a gig ready vibe. Further I dig your crusty sense of humor to ward off time wasting tire kickers.

I hope you get all fourteen hundred of those dollars for those righteous speakers. Don't let a little hazing from forum vets bother you they are like big brothers - they will grow to love you. As for newbs that thread crap - I'm speachless.

Edited by deep3shot
  • Like 1

one poster said his speakers have almost nothing in common with a set of new ones, I beg to differ, they havnt changed much over the years, thank god...Roost

That's correct I said they are different, You can not honestly believe the speakers are the same as they were in 1963 ? or even 1983 for that matter ?

The speakers use different components in the crossovers,and different crossover designs they use different drivers, different horn materials, and the cabinet is different.

Not sure how you would consider them the same or even close to the same

• Like 1

OK, OK, I will change the ad!

It was semi-tongue-in-cheek guys! Geeze. I don't really have time to deal with people who are not serious -- the tire kickers.

I feel the price is fair. And I'm not budging from it. I thought I'd offer these to Klipsch owners first before dealing with

the eBay people.

Take the time to really research the price GOOD used La Scalas. Try finding two matched serial number La Scalas you can bring

right into your room and play with NO cabinet defects, and ALK crossovers and then criticize this price.

And, when you can't find that pair, then either go get the wrecked pair and fix them yourself. Or buy new ones and pay, what?

$4,000 each?

And, like I said, I'm not sure I really even want to sell them at all.

The black looks great, and to me better than the stained birch black because there's really nothing special about the grain of

birch plywood. So why would you want to see it at all? I had no choice but to have them painted and they are what they are.

No offense meant.

Or taken.

Oh, one more thing to clear the air. As to me being a "newbie"... (BTW, that's about a stupid slang term. Whatever happened to English? We have words in English for a beginner. Neophyte, rookie, newcomer, etc.) ANYWAY, I've been on this forum for years, but not posting. And recently had to re-enter my password and all that stuff. So, it's not like I just popped on here and decided to sell my speakers.

And this is the last I'll address all this.

Regards,

Mark

Oh, one more thing to clear the air. As to me being a "newbie"... (BTW, that's about a stupid slang term. Whatever happened to English? We have words in English for a beginner. Neophyte, rookie, newcomer, etc.) ANYWAY, I've been on this forum for years, but not posting. And recently had to re-enter my password and all that stuff. So, it's not like I just popped on here and decided to sell my speakers.

My god! You just don't learn. If you don't want to sell them as you repeatedly state, then don't bother us as "we don't suffer fools" either.

OP... why are they all black and crinkly again?

Usually to hide the Bondo. Some speakers have taken a tumble down stairs and been banged harder than a low-cost rent-a-***** at a college frat party. I'm not saying that's the case here, though. Some people think the rattlecan paint job, covered in peel and stick floor tile or dipped in green goo looks better than natural wood.

OP... why are they all black and crinkly again?

Usually to hide the Bondo. Some speakers have taken a tumble down stairs and been banged harder than a low-cost rent-a-***** at a college frat party. I'm not saying that's the case here, though. Some people think the rattlecan paint job, covered in peel and stick floor tile or dipped in green goo looks better than natural wood.

Darn it. Now you've done it. I bet he will not sell them to us for even $2,000. Good work!

OK, I will stop now. I guess since I have inadvertently violated Forum protocols (you want how much?!) my comments are the pot calling the La Scalas black.

Edited by eth2

Guess I look at things different, it don't matter what im looking to buy or spend, but I ALWALYS offer a Few hundred mile meet half way kind of thing.

I don't see nothing wrong with $14 Bones, they are well worth that to someone and we have all seen them for more.

• Like 2

One thing hardly mentioned but that usually comes into play with pricing on these kind of things is where they are located. In NY, lascalas go for much lower pricing since they are a dime a dozen. Usually we see $700-$800.

In the south........not true. Higher prices almost always. Further driving distances, less availability, etc.

My point? There is no price or price range that "lascalas go for". It's everything considered, and what a buyer is willing to spend.

$1400 may seem high to some...........but maybe not, depending.

The other thing.........no offense intended.........and I've seen this this fluctuate as the forum empties and refills with new people as the years go by.....but in general people are darn CHEAP on this forum. Most don't want to spend SQUAT. Not a shot at anyone in particular so don't get defensive...........you all know what I mean. :wacko:

Mark,

I'm ssorry if I've missed this, but, could you elaborate on the ALK xo's? I'm familiar with his work, but am curious which ones you have installed in these LS's.

Thx,

Gregg

Hi Gregg,

I wish I could answer your question, but I really don't know much about the crossovers --- other than I built them! At the time, I don't think there were different versions from AL Klappenberger. Perhaps now? At any rate, they really added a lot to the

sound quality. As I recall, that crossover kit was approximately $350. Worth it though.

I guess I should once again take the opportunity to publicly apologize to any and all on this forum. I thought I did that once

but I guess it wasn't sufficient.

Perhaps a mistake to list these here.

At any rate Gregg, I can wholeheartedly recommend the ALK's if you or anyone else is considering them for your speakers. When I got these the crossovers were not looking real hot -- 1977 is a long time ago. AND the cabinets had been painted (badly) by prior

owners. So, I re-worked everything and made them as nice as possible (which is really, really presentable indeed).

These are really nice, and it's difficult for me to part with them.

I said before I wouldn't address anything else regarding this post or these speakers, and now I will stick to that. If anyone

wants these write me directly at ms_williams@hotmail.com or please or call me at 570-888-3220. I'll leave them on here a week

before I list them elsewhere. I thought the Klipsch community should have a crack at them first since they'd be the most

interested or perhaps know a friend who would be interested.

Consider me signed out .........and off this forum for good.

Regards,

Mark

Leave it up to this Forum to to run another new member away.

My God folks, lighten up for crying out loud! This guy might have said a few things to ruffle some feathers (who hasn't?) but he didn't deserve to get crucified. I think all of you who took a crap in this thread should take a break from here for a weekend and come back on Monday refreshed...

Mike

Edited by Mike Lindsey
  • Like 1