For sale: La Scalas, black, perfect cabinets, ALK crossovers

Mark Williams

Mike,

I can only speak for myself, I was a bit put off by his initial post, both by his saying he expected payment sight unseen, and the way the post was worded. I tried to gently tell him so. When the second post came with the same aggressive tone (at least to my ears), I probably reacted too strongly. Having been on the receiving end of some similar criticism, I should have just kept quiet. Although I have only been here for a few months, I have come to very much like the forum and the people who are here each day. In any event, after I read his last post I sent a PM to him which I will reproduce below. Sorry for getting too involved in this thread.

Mark,
I am sorry you are leaving the forum. This is a forum with strict, and difficult to discern, standards. I know because I have stepped on most of them. If you are interested in Klipsch equipment there is not a better forum. If you have followed the mono block ground loop thread you can see that there are highly qualified people who are happy to help you out. Most of the people here are passionate about audio and nice people...even if are quick to note transgressions, real or perceived.
Once again, don't take these things (including my comments) too personally, It is a combination hazing and introduction to the rules of the road.
If I offended you, you have my apologies.
Regards,
Earl

Mark,

I hope the future with your speakers are what’s best, sale or keep. It sounds like you’ve had them for a while, and it sounds like you have enjoyed the experience of the wonderful sound that Paul Klipsch developed. You furthered the sound beyond the typical consumer level and I admire that.

It seems that your tongue in cheek thread has brought to the surface people who thought you were seriously trying to sell them; people who thought you had an arrogance in your wording and people who tried to keep the peace. If you’re someone who has been here for a while, then you know this is an edifying group of people who will go out of their way to be helpful. Regardless if you’re being playful or you’re just indiscreet, there is an indisputable fact that you’ll not get the free assistance on Ebay or CL that you have gained on this forum.

Edited by jweber

NOBODY NOTICED HES BEEN A MEMBER SINCE DECEMBER 2004. i did instantly. they are definately worth the asking price. Yeah ive seen alk ls sell for 475 in the last 15 months and 2200 as well and then some. For the sake of humanity maybe he needs 1400 for something deathly medical. yeah he nailed any reader on the wall right away and i really hope as he has been a member for over 9 years he knows in the last 3yrs no bad deal has ever went through here and possibly longer thats as far back as i can remember so he should invite any gent on this forum over for a cup of joe to view and test.

By God. We all stand together. A member from san banino mo gets screwed by a local to me i will be at my local sellers door within the hour and i will be pist cause i dont like to move period and with about 35k members here i feel the same would be very easily done by and for all. i may carry my wine in a sack but i'l put it down and god forbid i swing and break a fresh bottle on a deadbeat then i'l be dreaming, asleep

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

They're back...

But the price has increased by $50 and he says the price is non-negotiable.

"Cash only. I will not negotiate on the price. New ones are well almost $4,000 EACH! Sorry these are not hooked up to my system at the moment so you won't be able to try them, but you will not be disappointed. I'm not selling you junk. This is quality"

I considerd these a few months back but it seems unrealistic to ask a buyer to buy without listening to them. Too bad, they are 1/2 hour from me. I was willing to o to $1,100 given the ALK's but he seems fixed on his price , so....

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/ele/4518443880.html

Edited by eth2

Good luck to him.....Whenever I have even the slightest doubt that they won't be "hooked up", I drag along a receiver, my iphone, a cable and speaker wires. No excuses then.

As I recall, he wanted the money prior to pickup.

• Like 1

BTW how re the new speakers from Don working out?
Outstanding.... I changed out the 510's for a pair of 402's.

The 510's were great, however the 402's are more suitable to my room space...

I received the rebuilt crossovers and tweeters from Bob today for the LaScalas. I put another coat of ploy on the cabinets last night and it still is not dry. The humidity is about 100% so I am not sure when they will dry. I am itching to replace the tweeters, horns, and crossovers but want to wait for the poly to dry. An old rhyme keeps playing in my head:

Patience is a virtue,

Practice it if you can.

It is always found in women,

But seldom found in men.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

I have no problem with any price that someone asks. I changed my original post to reflect that

I just don't think you should walk into a fairly tight knit community and insult people.

For the record I don't feel insulted one bit. I think he said what he wanted, and he talked in an honest, straightforward manner. I didn't see anything to be insulted about.

+++

Edit: I want to make clear Mr. Zeus, I did not mean to pick you out personally with my post, you're OK. I am just replying over your shoulder. B)

Edited by wvu80

I have no problem with any price that someone asks. I changed my original post to reflect that

I just don't think you should walk into a fairly tight knit community and insult people.

For the record I don't feel insulted one bit. I think he said what he wanted, and he talked in an honest, straightforward manner. I didn't see anything to be insulted about.

I think we beat this discussion of the original posting style to death a few months ago. I reposted since he has again listed on CL at a higher price and w/o the cables. Just thought it was interesting as they did not sell at $1,400 and he came back at $1,450 nonnegotiable. I was hoping he would drop his price when he was unable to sell the first time but it is his business.

I think we beat this discussion of the original posting style to death a few months ago. I reposted since he has again listed on CL at a higher price and w/o the cables. Just thought it was interesting as they did not sell at $1,400 and he came back at $1,450 nonnegotiable. I was hoping he would drop his price when he was unable to sell the first time but it is his business.

Oops, big apology on my part. I simply missed the original discussion. :)

+++

I don't take things personally unless someone looks directly at me and says the word "you." When I read the original post on selling the speakers, I was interested in only a general way. It was the reaction of our fellow forumites that caught me off guard, otherwise, I would have just moved on to the next topic, no big deal.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1