Decoding a Heresy

wdrazek

Hi, I may be trading for a pair of Heresy's on CL. However, I want to know exactly what these things are. The S/N's, while not consecutive, both begin with 8551 indicating a 1985 build date. That should make them Heresy 2's. However, the tags clearly state "HBR", not "HBR2."

Any ideas on these mystery speakers?

Wayne

hey Wayne, HBR stands for Heresy Birch Raw just in case you didn't know. the letter 2 after HBR never happened that i'm aware of

they still made Cornwall 1's and Heresy 1's in 1985 and switched over to the 11's in late 85 and early 86

Edited by Budman

Thanks, Budman. That part I knew. Kind of a shame they're stained like a medium walnut color. Just heard they have k22, k53k, k77 and an E2 crossover. That makes them 1.5 I think. Just a fluke they have an 85 serial number.

Next question: how different do these sound from the 1 and 11 really?

Edited by wdrazek

k22, k53k, k77 and an E2 crossover. That makes them 1.5 I think. Just a fluke they have an 85 serial number.

Looks like all original parts to me; in 1985, they used K53 instead of K55. That's why they are labeled as "Heresy 1.5" (per M Colter).

Edited by cheric

I'm just confused a little confused it says HBR. I thought that 1985 was the start of the H2.

Anyhow, how different do these models sound? I am downsizing from forte's which I adore because the large living room is about to become a much smaller living room soon. And fortunately I do have a trusty Sunfire sub for that missing bass. Those forte's with Crites caps and ti tweeter diaphragms will be up on the block soon, btw.

Original Heresy with the K55 can sound a bit too forward in the midrange. I've heard both... I have HIIs and my son has originals. There is an easy fix to tame the mids on the original... I still think the HIIs are better balanced.

Bruce

Thanks for all the replies.Great information.

Why is it that the "1.5" does not get a lot of love here? I am thinking that the difference between it and the others is small but these seem to come up all the time and generally are not as well liked as the others.

The deal is contingent on a long drive and a trade for my NAD separates which I am very fond of. I'd really like to know if I'd be making a mistake not holding off for either 1's or 2's.

buying non-consec birch raw heresys is not a big deal because its plywood.

i personally only buy heritage speakers with k-55v midranges which makes the cutoff date around 1983 and i always buy veneered consec serial numbers.

buying non-consec birch raw heresys is not a big deal because its plywood.

i personally only buy heritage speakers with k-55v midranges which makes the cutoff date around 1983 and i always buy veneered consec serial numbers.

Tell me more, Budman. Why only K55V's and why only consecutive SN's?

This is a major move for me from forte's to Heresy's and I want to get it right.

He wants $525 for the Heresy's. As I mentioned, they are k22-k53-k77. I thought the woofer was changed to k24 before the mid changed to k53 from what I've read around here. A pair of metal stands similar in height to the risers and a beat up pair of old woofers are included. The cabinet is stained medium oak and looks OK but kinda scratchy.

All in all I was interested but the distance is like 400 miles and nicer looking H1 and H2's are available closer for less. But amazingly a great number of the available pairs are the 1.5's. More of them than 1's or 2's and they were only made for a short time.