I just received my very 1st Klipsch RF-7II 5.0 System !

bsdme2

Hello everyone !!!

I just received my Klipsch RF-7II Cherry 5.0 system today and I am very excited even thought I still have to wait for my receiver Denon AVR-X4000 to come and hopefully on Monday. Now that I can say I am a part of the RF-7II family !!!

Anyway folks, I need some help. I am going to buy some speaker wire on Monoprice website tomorrow but need some

more info so that I know what to buy. I plan to run the 3 front speaker RF-7II and RC-64II with 14 AWG wire and the RS-52II with probably 16 AWG wire which is support at 8 ohm load and 48ft max. Will these different size connect to the receiver jeopardize the sound or any problem at all? I don't have a sub yet, probably going to buy SVS SB13 Ultra around maybe Black Friday or Christmas of this year. So please kindly help me with setup on the cross over for Front R/L and Center speaker and the cross over for the surround speaker. Since I am a newb and have read some cross over info but it always good to learn and understand it clearly. Also please tell me step by step too to help me understand the term and meaning clearly. Thanks in advance to everyone who willing to help me on this and help me become a better Klipsch fan. Remember this is just the beginning, there will be more question coming until I am fully getting my system up and running smoothly.

Finally, I know I know, I will take pictures when everything is setup otherwise " PIC OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN".

Take care everyone.

BSDME

congrats! bet you feel like a pig in klipsch or something like that. i would cosider running out to radioshack and grab a spool of 14 or 16 and get unrolling. order online your gonna wait another couple days shipped. wallmart, clear in color, of course home depot or menards or bills tackle shop may have a spool just to try to keep it local just a thought. iv bought online although usually particular with built in banana plugs on the economical side nonetheless. cheers. best of times for you and the 7ii's!

• Moderators
Now that I can say I am a part of the RF-7II family !!!

We tend to be a bid disfunctional but indeed, welcome to the family! :lol:

Will these different size connect to the receiver jeopardize the sound or any problem at all?

Not at all. Why not go ahead and get 14 gauge all around? My guess is there probably isn't much difference in cost on Monoprice. Here is the size chart I use.

SpeakerWire.jpg

So please kindly help me with setup on the cross over for Front R/L and Center speaker and the cross over for the surround speaker. Since I am a newb and have read some cross over info but it always good to learn and understand it clearly.

Until you get a dedicated subwoofer, go into the Setup menu of your receiver, look for the speaker setup and crossover settings. Set your mains to either Large or Full. This will tell the speakers to play a full range of sound since you do not have a subwoofer. Try setting your center and surrounds to maybe 80hz. This tells your surrounds that anything below 80hz will be sent to your mains. If you had a subwoofer, anything below 80hz would have been sent to the sub.

Hi Beeker and Youthman,

Wow fast respond there.

Beeker, since my receiver have not arrive yet and weekend is usually the best time for me to play with this new toy.

But I will check Walmart and Home Depot tomorrow and see what my option are. Thanks.

Youthman, the reason I wanted to use two different wire size is because and maybe my only way to wire the surround speaker to

the back wall since my room is an open plan floor with dining and kitchen, I can route the wire between the tile and the wood

floor that I install 4 yrs ago, so I need as small a wire that I can get to fit the little gap and make thing neat and tidier so the wife

can be happy. Thanks for the little lesson regarding the crossover, with that little lesson, I now understand why the way it is set.

You make my day Youthman. By the way, I don't post a lot because I am still learning that why there are only 22 post in my profile

but I hang on the forum almost everyday to learn about this new hobby of mine. Take care everyone! And continue posting.

BSDME

• Moderators

Well get to posting some questions then. Lots of guys here more than willing to help out.

I asked a ton of questions when I first joined the forum. I've learned a lot from this community.

Your logic for different gauge wire is understandable. No worries in doing that

Just dont mess with youthman. A month ago he rolled down the big hill at the slope and everything he had on helmet and all the gear was demolished. They medivacked him to nearby hsptl. The guy then pushed everybody away and said im fine people. Not 1 bruise. He went straight back to the big hill and kept going. True story. I seen pics and seen on the news. The guys big and tough. Things only legends are made of. Cheers to you and your new system. Outstanding choice on the rf7ii's friend!

• Moderators
I don't post a lot because I am still learning that why there are only 22 post in my profile but I hang on the forum almost everyday to learn about this new hobby of mine.

Welcome again, don't worry about post count it really means little, the main thing is to get the answers you need so it sounds the best without wasting money. You picked a great new hobby, hopefully you keep it the rest of your life, who don't like music.

For a new hobby you started of with some cool speakers, I think your going to be really surprised. What were you listening to before these ? If it was not anything special you probably won't be surprised you will be shocked............I love when this happens to people for the first time. :D

I would steer clear of walmart and radio shack wire as I bet it is not 100% copper. Its most likely copper coated something. Go with mono price. Order you a spool of 12-14 for front and then order 16 for the back. Won't hurt anything at all. And will be easier to tuck in between tile or baseboard or anything else you need to tuck it in. Welcome!

Stick around. Great place.

I would steer clear of walmart and radio shack wire as I bet it is not 100% copper. Its most likely copper coated something. Go with mono price. Order you a spool of 12-14 for front and then order 16 for the back. Won't hurt anything at all. And will be easier to tuck in between tile or baseboard or anything else you need to tuck it in. Welcome!

Stick around. Great place.

Good advice he's giving.

Congratulations & Welcome Home. Cherry, Nice!!!

Go ahead & start planning for Wide, Height, & Surround Back by Wiring for them.

With that AVR, you can connect up to 11.2; but only run 7.2 @ a time, unless you add an Amp,

Which allows you to run 9.2 @ a time.

Plan to add SW(s) before add speakers & Amp, though.

Good Morning FOLKSSS !!!!

Man... I can't sleep much last light without thinking and planning about my NEW TOY :D .

Anyway folks, thanks you for all your great advices... and keep them coming as I will update

my status in this new journey of mine.

The reason I want to go with smaller wire for the surround back is because like I said before

the little gap between the tiles and wood floor is pretty much my only option. Also my house

is two story plan and it does need a lot of work if I wanted to route the wire between the floor

and don't want to upset the wife, I must keep her happy in this early journey :( .

Also I read on the klipsch speaker manual it mention "Use 16 gauge (AWG), two conductor, copper wire at a • minimum and larger
gauge wire for longer runs " the length I wanted to use for the surround speaker is about ~40ft

and that is for the distance from receiver down to floor, then across the floor, then up the wall to speakers = ~40ft.

So what do you folks think? You know what I might go with 12 awg for the front, but still thinking 16awg for the surround.

jvanhambelgium, I have not listen to the system because I still need to wait for the receiver to delivery to me hopefully on Monday

and the RF-7II system is still in the box in the garage next to my weight plates working out in there. :lol:

Dtel, the only speaker I have now to listen is the computer speaker 2.1. I watch movies and video music on TV and listen to TV speaker only.

I forget how I started on this journey, but on a beautiful day, I stop at fry and stop by at the theater department and listen to some speakers

that is when I realize that I have missing something so I then begin going to some local appliance store and check out some speaker and listen to

them. I choose KLIPSCH RF-7II because it look like my style compare to others speakers model.

PSG, since I'm not quite a handyman myself, so I have to choose the easy path for myself, but I do like your idea

of overkill, and I probably will do it for the front 3 speakers only. Forgot, I can't run through wall in my case. Thanks for the link.

I look at the wire ...hmmm... wire looking good.

Sancho, I compare the two color, black and cherry, the cherry color attract me so that is why I look cherry. I haven't

peek inside the box yet, I decide to surprise myself when I have the receiver and wires ready and install them this coming up weekend

since I have 3 whole days to play with them. :D For the time being, I will only run 5.0 speakers, and yes I was also

consider getting the SUB before getting the AMP and see how the whole system sound and if I need the amp, I will need to do it

quietly without the wife acknowledge it, I must find a way to slip it into the system somehow but until then, 5.0 speakers for now.

Oh also forgot, man, too many stuff in my mind now. 5.1 system is probably my final goal for this since it will be in the living room area

and I want to make it a great system because guest come into the house, it will be the first thing the see. And it also for my

family enjoyment also.

Thanks you everyone for all the great advices and welcomes even thought I join the forum like 3 yrs ago.

Now I need to go pump up with my speakers in the garage.

Take care everyone and keep the post coming,

BSDME ;)

Oh forgot again, I just want to share with you all what this system is for.

This RF-7II system is for watching movies and for watching video musics.

I will also use it to listen to mostly classic music like symphony because I

enjoy the dynamic of the music style.

Good day everyone :)

Schu, it only a computer speaker system and it is 2.1 yeah. But it too tiny

compare to SVS SB13-Ultra that I am aiming for. I can live with the PC speakers for a while.

Like I say, I didn't have much sleep at night I and wake up early too.

man, I need my receiver and the speakers wire FAST !!!!

The speakers were laughing at me each time I go to the garage looking at them

in the box !!! What should I do ? :rolleyes:

• Moderators
What should I do ?

If it were me I would first go open a box, the mains and have a look. I would put them where there going to go in the room, this should then make you get in the car and go get some speaker wire and start setting it up for when the receiver gets there. :D

Also think how you want to connect a source like a Cd player bluray or whatever you want and have the cables there, you could even mount the speakers so all you have to do is run wires and connect everything.

I would do just what you said with wire size and where you want to run it, that's fine, it will be out of site for looks and work fine, no use in making it harder than it has to be.

Coming from 2.1 computer speakers the whole family is going to be amazed and shocked. Can't wait to hear what you think the first time you play a concert DVD or bluray and movies.

If you get time put your location, state or city in your profile, unless you in the witness relocation program. :o

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Do you want a matching cherry sub? Reason I ask is I used to have two cherry Svs PB-13 ultras. I have since moved on but I have had a great journey with subwoofers since then. Where are you from?

Not sure what your budget is for subs, but google the seaton submersive

Seaton sound makes them. One of them Is probably comparable to 1.8 Svs ultras. They are monsters. AAAANNNND you can get them in cherry. Svs only makes black speakers now. Bummer.