LSA Statement Integrated amp

eth2

Bump

I am interested in this integrated amp. It was selling for about twice as much a short while ago and there were about 70 dealers. Now it has gone to one dealer Underhill Audio which appears to be an internet only dealer, and the price has dropped. I talked with the dealer yesterday; his name is Wally Liederman and he apparently lives in Hawaii but sells from Georgia. Seems to be a very knowledgeable guy, but again this is a Newbie talking. His bio suggests he has been a pretty successful audio retailer, but I can find relatively little written about the LSA Statement. There are one or two reviews, and a few threads in AudiogoN.

Anyone have any information?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-lsa-statement-integrated-amp-new-150wpc-amp-w-superb-reviews-compare-at-10k-2014-03-29-integrateds-98005

Edited by eth2

I have dealt with underwood in the past and can give them a thumbs up, however I know nothing about the amp offered. wally Is very cordial and would answer your questions / concerns related to his sales

I personally tend to stay away from an amp I have not been able to research thoroughly. It is a pricey bugger isnt it

Thanks, Joe.

I guess I am questioning whether, without the technical background, I should be fooling around tube stuff. Maybe I am doomed to a solid state life.

Hi, I came across your question. I used to own the LSA Signature not the Statement. I really believe it was a quality piece. But I ended up selling it because when it comes to high end gear a good match with your speakers and other gear is mandatory to hear the potential of any one piece in the audio chain. So unless you pair up an integrated or any amp with speakers that match it well then you won't hear what that amp could do. So it can be a slippery slope. If you don't have the ability to audition the LSA in your system with your speakers first, I might think twice. Until you hook it to your speakers you won't know. It may be a beautiful piece. I've had plenty of beautiful pieces, but unless you pair that beautiful piece to other complementary pieces (ie the right speakers, sources etc./favorable impedance matching etc.) it will not give back its full capability. The other factor is re-sale. When you buy something like LSA, although it is quality, it is not as well known or has the reputation that will help you make a good sale if you decide to resell, even though you bought it at a discount. Now if was Conrad Johnson, Krell, Audio Research, etc. (widely known /great reputations in the audiophile community) resale at a good price is much more favorable. But on a different note, the tubes in an integrated like this one are not a big deal to work with even for a novice. A tube amp for the uninitiated is a different story and can be more complex and intimidating. I have avoided owning a tube amp for all these years but tube integrateds are not nearly as daunting.

Edited by Codyred
  • Like 1

A tube amp for the uninitiated is a different story and can be more complex and intimidating. I have avoided owning a tube amp for all these years but tube integrateds are not nearly as daunting.

I figured a tube integrated amplifier would be more of a complex circuit than a tube power amplifier, due to the preamplifier/phono stage/tone controls being in one unit.

I have limited experience with tube amps and integrated amp. I own the Yaqin VK 2100 tube hybird integrated amp and feel that it is not just a good amp but, a great amp. I have used it on the RF 7's and McIntosh XR5 speakers and it has plenty on power to deliver a great sound and deep bass. I have been able to compare it to my Yamaha M 80 and Acurus amp which push 250 and 200 watts per channel. Unless you are listening at extreme levels, the Yaqin hold it's own with these power amp. The Yaqing wins the beauty contest for a really nice look for a two ch. system.

I had been considering replacing my tube amps.

I've never owned any VAC gear, but think very highly of the brand. It cost more than I've been willing to spend when buying. Always lusted after VAC integrateds. I doubt you're going to improve upon the sound of your VAC setup with most integrateds out there unless you find a special and expensive one. I'm sure you know that. What is it you feel you're lacking in your current sound, if I may ask?

Edited by Codyred

I had been considering replacing my tube amps.

I've never owned any VAC gear, but think very highly of the brand. It cost more than I've been willing to spend when buying. Always lusted after VAC integrateds. I doubt you're going to improve upon the sound of your VAC setup with most integrateds out there unless you find a special and expensive one. I'm sure you know that. What is it you feel you're lacking in your current sound, if I may ask?

Earl's problems are not sound quality related, He is having a noise issue which is making him crazy (like it does so many of us) to read up on it look at his other posts

For that kind of coin I would do over what I did over. That Peach and those speakers would / will / have matched very well indeed with VRDs. I had a VRD stereo with the Peach, sold it like an idiot and replaced with VRD monos. Simple, no fuss setup that holds the value, has bodacious customer support and only needs a bias adjustment once a year of so (in my case). A volt meter and a jeweler's screwdriver (screwdriver included with amps). There is zero chance taken with this route.

I actually love the way the VAC90's sound as well as the 80/80's, especially with the Peach.

As Joe said, the tube amps are picking up noise that I just can't track down. Prior to buying the VAC's I had a full head of flowing jet black hair. Now look at me. I am afraid that when the little hair I have left is gone, I will start gnawing on my fingers until I can't operate the volume control.