Yamaha RXV 465 Reciever shutting down high volume

archman99

I have seen this topic in the forum but my problem is a little different. I have had this receiver for about 3 or 4 years. No problems driving my Hereseys. I could turn it up as loud as I could stand. I recently bought some RF-82's. When I turn the volume up high. (house shaking) the receiver shuts off and when I power it back up it says check speaker wires. So I just bought new 10 Gauge wires and banana plugs and hooked it back up. My old wires were 30 yr old monster cable so I figured they needed to be replaced anyway . After the new wires ... same problem. By the way all this is 2 channel listening (plus sub). I checked in impedance setting and it is set to 8 ohms.

Is it possible that the RF-82's need more clean power to run them at high loads. Do I need more power? This Yamaha receiver is on the low end of their AVR's. Its just funny that the Hereseys never gave me a problem. Plus the receiver doesn't get hot.it is just on loud spikes of musicIs seems to only shut down on loud spikes of music. If that make sense..

any Ideas.. I really need a good excuse to upgrade my receiver anyway.....

Arch

• Like 1

RF82 utilize paralleled woofs, so I am guessing it's presenting a lower impedance load to your amp and causing it to heat up and trigger protection circuitry. The fatter cables won't correct the issue, but there is nothing wrong with 10ga cables.

The impedance selector switch on the Yamaha regulates the power supply, and it's really there to protect the amplifier. In the low impedance setting, your power will be limited. In the high impedance setting, you'll get full power, but the amp will run hotter.

If you want to attain the same listening levels without this issue, you need a more powerful amp.

• Like 1

I had the very same problem w/ my Yamaha RX-V665 .This is rated 90 watts I guess 2 driven. My speakers at the time were and still are Klipsch #500 h/d smalls. When I was thought was a very powerful avr and went to air it out as I put it the thing went into protection mode and shut down. Thankfully it came back. I immediately called Yamaha and they said you pushed the speakers to hard and should not do that. I called Klipsch and they really laughed and said those smalls could handle true 100 watts and it was the avr. This really pissed me off so I went out and got an Adcom gfa555 amp and for a while used the Yammy as a pre/pro. Long story short todays avrs are not made to drive major speakers at top levels w/o an amp period. I have also gone full blown 2-chl w/ all sorts of sources and while using the Yammy for tv it's at -30 or so for volume but mostly audio mute it and use the audio outs into my pre/amp tuner ins to get all the sources for full blown effect.

There's some good advice in the posts above. If you want to shake the house, a lower-end AVR is not the best choice. As was mentioned, the RF-82s may have an impedance curve that makes them harder to drive than the Heresys, so a more powerful receiver or outboard power amp is the way to go.

When the receiver shuts down before it gets hot, that's a good thing, since it's protecting itself properly and preventing damage from occurring.

Didn't actually blame it on the speaker wire. The old speaker wire was the same gauge but 30 years old and black and gummy on the inside. I thought I may have had a poor connection causing a short. Anyway thanks for the info. Time to spend some money on new electronics.

It may not help much, but you can check that your AVR is set up as two channels only, and that any Zone 2 stuff is either off or turned all the way down. In setup, you'd tell it "no center channel" and "no surround channels". If it's still clipping off, you're listening too hard!

All good fortune,

Chris

It may not help much, but you can check that your AVR is set up as two channels only, and that any Zone 2 stuff is either off or turned all the way down. In setup, you'd tell it "no center channel" and "no surround channels". If it's still clipping off, you're listening too hard!

All good fortune,

Chris

That is like making everyone get out of the car so, it can make it up the hill. It is time for a new avr and move forward, lol.

I hat the same issue once. It was the wires on the drivers. Under high excursion the positive and negative leads would touch on the spider as it moved. I'd disconnect all the speakers but one and turn it up. If it doesn't shut down, disconnect it and try the next wire until you find the offending speaker. Go from there.

All I had to do was reposition them and I never had the problem again.