RF 7II's Have (4)10's But Where's the Low End Weight?

Codyred

I personally don't like how a flat response sounds. I like chest pounding wall moving bass.

Right on reference head. I sleep with my eq. Gotta have it.....

When I had RF-7's I had to get used to how clean and tight the bass was. It was there but didn't seem like it because I was used to bass that was much less sophisticated. Big amps, EQ and subwoofers and I was in heaven.

OP....keep experimenting and you'll get there. :emotion-21:

• Moderators
I also eq my cornwalls. As good as the cornwalls and rf7ii are they still need a little eq to make nice with the room and what I like. I personally don't like how a flat response sounds.

The room makes a big difference, our Cornwalls in the bedroom have ridicules bass, if it were any more I would adjust it, but it's not a huge room 11x16 speakers on the long wall tight in the corners.

Both my corns on a wall far away from corners. Probably would not need any eq if I had them in corners (for bass). My 7s are on concrete so they need a bump as well.

Being on concrete is a whole different monster.

My RF7 II's were on carpet over concrete slab family room 11x18x8 on short wall with no placement options about 5 feet apart. How do you post a picture?

Edited by Codyred

If your in any bass null it will be like you have no bass at all. In a normal room with normal floors even if your in a small null the speakers are still shaking the floors and everything on the floors. So you would still get some tactical feel and bass presence.

On concrete the floor don't shake so unless your in a sweet spot it's going to be very weak bass. And if it's a big bass null it will sound like the bottom drivers are off.

Edited by reference_head

My RF7 II's were on carpet over concrete slab family room 11x18x8 on short wall with no placement options about 5 feet apart.

That's pretty close together to get proper sound stage width and scale, unless the primary listening position is near-field, which is probably not advisable for those speakers anyway. Getting them spaced wider, in closer proximity to the corners, will bring the bass up.

While you're at it, don't be afraid to play with toe-in, perhaps to a more extreme degree than you have previously. Your speaker's directivity in the upper registers can be used to your advantage to sidestep early first reflections. Reducing that high freq reflected sound will help shift the tonal balance to the warmer side at the listening position. You may find it to result in better imaging/sound stage, too. Have a look at THIS for some ideas on how to get a stable image over a large area.

after some time with my 7's and 7ii's i had no issues with low end power on an 85wpc hk receiver with no sub on carpeted concrete floor in a very close to the same size room you have. really sounds like you may have an issue with your networks or wiring. after you try different positioning of your cabinets and maybe push them with a larger amp out of curiosity i would certainly pull out a couple woofers and take a very close look. just take your time and tape or write down what wires go where and so on. with 50 watts on a descent amp even 30 watts(i used a rotel 30x2 on 7's and 7ii's for testing and was impressed by the natural low end output) they should do pretty darn good. A large amp on the other hand no sub needed imo although helps with some particular tracks or material

• Like 1

Larry, I don't agree because the published frequency response curves don't back up what you're saying. All of the Reference loudspeakers are relatively flat and sometimes just a wee tipped up towards the end.

These are bass reflex designs, so the majority of the low bass is coming from the ports in conjunction with any room gain. I wouldn't be surprised if the ports are taking over around 50Hz. Klipsch assumes that a sub or two will be in the mix.

Flat response can sound a little thin and forward -- most people don't like it (hence things like EQ and subwoofers that are set to dominate the sonic signature).

Those are close enough together that you might be dealing with an out of phase wave cancellation issue.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Two_sources_interference.gif

Edited by DeanG

Adding subwoofer is a total pain specially if you expect perfect clear bass, may be your room is non symmetrical, then try relocate fronts.
With subwoofer i leave front setting "large" in receiver, it keeps low to mids more natural in my RF series.
In 80-s with 3 way speakers and even mid speakers had dome construction it was way easier to achieve quality.
To get a speaker to work perfectly in 30-2000 hz range is a big ask.

My RF7 II's were on carpet over concrete slab family room 11x18x8 on short wall with no placement options about 5 feet apart. How do you post a picture?

This web site will upload directly from your computer.

On the lower, right of this post, look for "More Reply Options." It will give you the choice to Browse your computer for the appropriate .jpg or whatever picture file. Click on your photo (one at at time) tell it to "Attach this file." The last step is to tell it to "Add picture to post" (words to that effect) and it will paste your pic right into your post.

My RF7 II's were on carpet over concrete slab family room 11x18x8 on short wall with no placement options about 5 feet apart.

That's pretty close together to get proper sound stage width and scale, unless the primary listening position is near-field, which is probably not advisable for those speakers anyway. Getting them spaced wider, in closer proximity to the corners, will bring the bass up.

While you're at it, don't be afraid to play with toe-in, perhaps to a more extreme degree than you have previously. Your speaker's directivity in the upper registers can be used to your advantage to sidestep early first reflections. Reducing that high freq reflected sound will help shift the tonal balance to the warmer side at the listening position. You may find it to result in better imaging/sound stage, too. Have a look at THIS for some ideas on how to get a stable image over a large area.

Howdy, and try to keep working at what you have, until you are expended.

First hit the THIS that *Ski Bum has posted for you to read, and move the speakers to as far apart as space permits. Then do the first toe-in towards you the listener X number of feet away from speaker. Then toe-in a bit further, while listening to same material/source. That null thing must be occuring somewhere, IMLO.

Takes time so relax and reflect while reading these frontline posters. A process of elimination is in order, one at a time.

• Like 2

I've never owned a pair of RF-7ii's but a friend has. I witnessed first hand a picture about 10 feet away from the speaker fall off the wall when he put the screws to them. He was driving them with a Luxman M-4000. It seemed like there was enough compression in the room to crush an aluminum can. Not sure why you aren't getting that out of yours.

It seemed like there was enough compression in the room to crush an aluminum can

LOL, good one.

Someone here once said, " ... it knocked the snot out of me."

I've always been grateful that I'm not a bass freak, because getting good bass is freaking expensive.