RF 7II's Have (4)10's But Where's the Low End Weight?

Codyred

Maybe something in equalization. I definitely get deep bass from mine that slam (not like a couple of huge subs) but still slam. I use a P2 with mine which does have an abundance of power but if you want some deep low end the Aragon 4004 MkII is a great amp for this. They are cheap too and can be found on agon or ebay pretty often.

I have found the bass and finally got them pumping, I use a Decware Torii IV with Decware RIAA valves amps, before they speakers had too much treble and not enough bass, I have just recently aquired a Audio Research valve preamp :) yum yum, heaps of bass, can tame the treble a bit, my whole system was valved for warm sound, NOS Mullards and Telefunkens, but the Audio Research preamp has really finished the system nicely, very happy now. This is with a Rega RP3 turntable hooked up.

For music, the RF 7's or 7II's have plenty of bass set to Large. I have used them set to large and little difference compared to setting them small with a suWith

There is only "set to large with AVR's not with separates or integrateds. I have used separates and integrateds only.

Here's my room. The RF7 II's have been moved out and my old Mirage OMD28 are in their place for now. I have no other options for placement and the Mirage are almost in the exact spot as the RF7 II's were. At some point I will switch things around and move the RF 7II's back in. I am using a Harman Kardon HK 990 to power everything. Plenty of power and current there, but it did not grip the woofers of RF7 II's as would be expected. Room dimensions are 13.5x23x7.5. Couch and stereo cabinet get in the way a bit, especially on right speaker. My listening position is about 13 ft away on a couch sitting at the opposite end of the room from the speakers. The couch has a little potential for movement backwards or forwards and a few months ago, I moved the couch back as close to the wall opposite the speakers as possible. This was suggested and seemed to help increase the feeling of bass in the room some. There are 2 openings in this room, a powder room behind the (couch) listening position, and an opening to the entryway of the house that doubles as an opening to the kitchen.

post-57400-0-54340000-1398538005_thumb.j

It is my understanding that for two channel the speakers should be on the long wall and for home theatre they should be on the short wall (like you have them now). Just for the sake of experimenting, is this something that you can try?

As far as placement in relation to corners.....from my experience with RF-7's it looks like that is not an issue based on the pic you provided.

Room acoustics can do weird things making it very frustrating.....I know. I think you have to experiment with every option possible as far as placement location, toe-in etc. before taking the next step. I'm pulling for you because I know how good those speakers can sound....and possibly more important how bad they can sound if they're not jiving with your room/equipment.

For music, the RF 7's or 7II's have plenty of bass set to Large. I have used them set to large and little difference compared to setting them small with a suWith

There is only "set to large with AVR's not with separates or integrateds. I have used separates and integrateds only.

Or with preamp/processors ("separate" by virtue of having no built-in power amp :) )

Do you have a bass control to manipulate?

Just to try it, have you tried the speakers farther into the corner -- perhaps touching the both walls in the corner? Depending of other things, your woofers might not be bothered by the couch in the way.

Truly "flat" sound (measured flat +/- ~~2.5 dB via Audyssey) doesn't sound good in my room with Khorns, so I crank up the bass a bit, or, if using the sub, turn it up, as well as turning up the bass control to increase the bass from the Khorns.

Edited by Garyrc

Or with preamp/processors ("separate" by virtue of having no built-in power amp :) )

Do you have a bass control to manipulate?

Just to try it, have you tried the speakers farther into the corner -- perhaps touching the both walls in the corner? Depending of other things, your woofers might not be bothered by the couch in the way.

Truly "flat" sound (measured flat +/- ~~2.5 dB via Audyssey) doesn't sound good in my room with Khorns, so I crank up the bass a bit, or, if using the sub, turn it up, as well as turning up the bass control to increase the bass from the Khorns.

There is a bass control when in DSP mode of the HK 990, but not in the Direct mode which I often use and use with my Halide DAC HD.