RF 7II's Have (4)10's But Where's the Low End Weight?

Codyred

Have you tried reversing polarity (on one speaker only) to make sure one speaker isn't wired incorrectly?

Have you run a sweep with REW (or similar) to see what's actually happening at the listening position?

No I have not tried that or done any sweeps.

My 7II's put out a tremendous amount of bass. I was playing around the other day when hooking up some Belle's and experimented with the 7's somewhat.

I set to full range / large, disabled all other speakers and told the onkyo no subs. Ran them in stereo mode and I was shocked just how much bass they were producing. I even had to check the subs a couple of times to make sure they weren't active.

I am like Tasdom, the RF 7 II or RF 7 are very capable speakers in the bass department. The OP can also push them closer in a corner to get more bass. I have owned some of my speakers for a while and the drivers never move like crazy. Even at Reference level spl.

Have you tried reversing polarity (on one speaker only) to make sure one speaker isn't wired incorrectly?

Have you run a sweep with REW (or similar) to see what's actually happening at the listening position?

I was going to suggest the very same thing as this happens more often that one would think. One easy test is to simply move the balance so only the left or right speaker is playing. If the bass increases, then you have one speaker connected incorrectly.

The umc1 as an example has a great onboard eq. They only cost about 250 on the used market. Something to try just to see if that gets you what your looking for without going crazy on better amps.

So my take away from your posts and the others in the thread is that the RF7 II's have to have EQ in the bass region or tone controls in order to produce the bass that 4 ten inch woofers in big cabinets would usually be expected to do. Without EQ in the bass, unless you're playing modern recordings that have more low end, you won't get the low end expected of a sensitive speaker as big as these.
Yes and no. They play flat and flat to some people is shy on bass. Some like a house sound (And that's eq the bass up). You are probably looking for that. I'm telling you they will shake your house if you set them up too. But they will also play flat.

The umc1 as an example has a great onboard eq. They only cost about 250 on the used market. Something to try just to see if that gets you what your looking for without going crazy on better amps.

So my take away from your posts and the others in the thread is that the RF7 II's have to have EQ in the bass region or tone controls in order to produce the bass that 4 ten inch woofers in big cabinets would usually be expected to do. Without EQ in the bass, unless you're playing modern recordings that have more low end, you won't get the low end expected of a sensitive speaker as big as these.
Yes and no. They play flat and flat to some people is shy on bass. Some like a house sound (And that's eq the bass up). You are probably looking for that. I'm telling you they will shake your house if you set them up too. But they will also play flat.

Thanks for your feedback.

You guys here at the Klipsch forum are a good group of guys. Keep the feedback coming.

What about this "hole" in the lower mids to lower bass frequencies I've heard a few guys attribute to the RF7- II's? I too have felt something was missing in the "fullness" of the lower midrange to bass.

I have the II's sitting by themselves in my dining room and my old Mirage OMD -28 (which were in the dining room by themselves before) are back doing duty in my system. I would love to put the RF-7II's back in my system. I'm just looking for an excuse before I get tired of all this and sell them. I was also thinking of trying a different integrated with a tone control topology like the Yamaha A-S2000, something so I could more easily "boost" the low end.

Anyone using the Yamaha A-S2000 with these speakers in a 2-channel setup?

You guys here at the Klipsch forum are a good group of guys. Keep the feedback coming.

What about this "hole" in the lower mids to lower bass frequencies I've heard a few guys attribute to the RF7- II's? (one fellow in this thread, but also in past threads) I too have felt something was missing in the "fullness" of the lower midrange to bass.

I have the II's sitting by themselves in my dining room and my old Mirage OMD -28 (which were in the dining room by themselves before) are back doing duty in my system. I would love to put the RF-7II's back in my system. I'm just looking for an excuse before I get tired of all this and sell them. I was also thinking of trying a different integrated with a tone control topology like the Yamaha A-S2000, something so I could more easily "boost" the low end.

Anyone using the Yamaha A-S2000 with these speakers in a 2-channel setup?

I was going to suggest the very same thing as this happens more often that one would think. One easy test is to simply move the balance so only the left or right speaker is playing. If the bass increases, then you have one speaker connected incorrectly.

At some point, I'm going to try this.

Sounds like polarity problem. I got my son a pair of RB-35s and was testing them in front of my Ks with 24 watt rec. They walked in and just thought I had the Ks running when I told them no they did not believe me. Did you check to make sure woofers were working? Rick

OH where to start, ok i've been in your shoes and I know exactly what your asking . Where's all the dam bass 4-10s = 40 inches of bass. Heres what I found I had to put a large amount of volume to my RF7s hit my tone and add bass there now I have bass I can feel, but its to loud now. So I added a 15" 400w Klipsch sub now its rockn @ low volumes. BUT the bass the RF7s put out was a whole lot better sounding on the RF7s than using the sub, we all agreed the RF7s sounded way cleaner tighter more accurate bass. I should add I never rolled the RF7s off ran them full range. I to looked at the HK integrated but took the anthem 225 over it . I don't believe in adding tones to my sound I like my path straight up from source to output

Ok here's the game changer I got rid of the sub and the anthem amp. Introduced EMOTIVA to the RF7s,at low low volumes the RFs totally came alive put a huge smile on all our faces, how can there be such a dramatic different.

I went from 225 wpc to a mere 250wpc difference , I suspect there's a lot more going on than I'm aware of what I suspect it is was the gain between the amp/pre where to low . This threads not about deep deep bass that's not what im talking about im talking about IMPACT of different instruments at LOW volumes. I can feel/hear the dudes hands hitting the bongos at low volumes, Drums are tight like there right there in front of you a,pluck of a bass string now im feeling this stuff its sounding more realistic and live im finely hearing what I want and what I paid for I believe.

I wont even start about the different between the RF7s and the Cornwalls im running now :)

also adding a Higher end source further improved my system it was like adding an EQ but it was only a CD player, again I was amazed how 2 players can sound so different.

This isn't a plug for emotiva this was MY Cure

proofs in the pudding

post-54594-0-54860000-1397478055_thumb.j

post-54594-0-79300000-1397478146_thumb.j

post-54594-0-36740000-1397478178_thumb.j

OH where to start, ok i've been in your shoes and I know exactly what your asking . Where's all the dam bass 4-10s = 40 inches of bass. Heres what I found I had to put a large amount of volume to my RF7s hit my tone and add bass there now I have bass I can feel, but its to loud now. So I added a 15" 400w Klipsch sub now its rockn @ low volumes. BUT the bass the RF7s put out was a whole lot better sounding on the RF7s than using the sub, we all agreed the RF7s sounded way cleaner tighter more accurate bass. I should add I never rolled the RF7s off ran them full range. I to looked at the HK integrated but took the anthem 225 over it . I don't believe in adding tones to my sound I like my path straight up from source to output

Ok here's the game changer I got rid of the sub and the anthem amp. Introduced EMOTIVA to the RF7s,at low low volumes the RFs totally came alive put a huge smile on all our faces, how can there be such a dramatic different.

I went from 225 wpc to a mere 250wpc difference , I suspect there's a lot more going on than I'm aware of what I suspect it is was the gain between the amp/pre where to low . This threads not about deep deep bass that's not what im talking about im talking about IMPACT of different instruments at LOW volumes. I can feel/hear the dudes hands hitting the bongos at low volumes, Drums are tight like there right there in front of you a,pluck of a bass string now im feeling this stuff its sounding more realistic and live im finely hearing what I want and what I paid for I believe.

I wont even start about the different between the RF7s and the Cornwalls im running now :)

also adding a Higher end source further improved my system it was like adding an EQ but it was only a CD player, again I was amazed how 2 players can sound so different.

This isn't a plug for emotiva this was MY Cure

proofs in the pudding

Hey, thanks for the details and pics. Which higher end source are you referring too? So you're using Emotiva monoblocks, which ones? and which preamp?

Edited by Codyred

Currently I am driving Cornwalls with the XPA-100s mono blocks which is more than enough, if I had to do it over again with the RF7IIs, which I thought those speakers where and still are fantastic speakers I would go with a much bigger amp 400-600wpc but that would be my own personal taste and I base this on going from the RF7iis - Cornwalls I am currently running 250wpc@ 8ohms 400wpc@4 ohms Corns are rated at 100wpc the RF7iis are rated at 250wpc see where i'm going here. I feel although they are both high sensitivity speakers the RF7iis do and want a lot more juice to drive. I had my RF7s for a year they absolutely needed some hours to break in and loosin up. It was a couple/few months before I changed out the amps in the beginning, I purchased the entire system from brand new out of the box. But wasn't never happy with the sound up until I changed my pre/amps. I realize theres amps out there 2-3000 watts with 1000 dampening factors im not talking about how good it sounds loud im talking about how good its sounds at low volumes without any additives (bass/treble)

I went from what I thought was a ok entry level Marantz Cd player 6004 to the Emotiva ERC-3 bass/mid got a lot tighter and highs are smooth/crystal clear most noticeable again was midbass/bass Impact, hell even an acoustic guitar has impact now its great. I do hear an aweful lot of live music on an almost a regular basis from my local bar to my most recent Yes Concert my ears probably aren't the greatest I can hear up to 12000khz nothing after that. But I have had a S***load of gear over the years and im sure tubes are in my future as I mature( ya right)

it pays to shop around I switched out all my gear within a few hundred bucks and finally hearing what I wanted but never satisfied just the nature of the beast

emo has a 30 day try it if your not happy send it back

my local shop here wants dam near $6000tx in for new Cornwall IIIs, I paid nearly $4000 for the RF7iis when they had just came out , factory direct is looking better and better everyday

I also eq my cornwalls. As good as the cornwalls and rf7ii are they still need a little eq to make nice with the room and what I like. I personally don't like how a flat response sounds. I like chest pounding wall moving bass. And both speakers can deliver that if set up too.

OP can you give us a pic of your room and set up? Im sure we can help you get what your looking for.