Khorns on raised platforms

sutlhynt

Looks about like my room except the ornate architecture and excessive room correction panels although very nice indeed. I didnt read much of the thread although khorns should be at listening level unless you are using them to pa an event

Thanks Mach for turning them around.The speaker platforms are solid brick and concrete.Total of 14 speakers in the room. Sub and rear and side surrounds not visible in these pictures. In one picture 3 speakers for centre channel visible laid flat before screen.And the turntable is a garrard 301 (1957)with SME type one arm(1959)mounted with an Ortofon spu mc 75th anniversary edition running through Ortofon verto step up trannie into a phase linear 4000 preamp. More on speakers and amps later...Any comments on the vaulted ceiling. The inverted beams forming a grid are clad with glass wool and tapestry. Floor level is split by 13". Side walls and part of front wall is similarly treated upto varying heights average 36".

Hi Chris.

I'm delighted to see you responded. In all honesty my post was directed to draw you out. I consider you the big daddy here...You did not respond to the 'wall of sound ' part...Once again regards Chris. Hope to interact with you again soon.

Sorry for the delay. By the way, good to have you here on the forum.

The response you seek on your "wall of sound" question was partially addressed by my discussion on direct radiators vs. horn-loaded (full range) loudspeakers. I've heard the difference with even one loudspeaker having a direct radiating woofer - and that one loudspeaker will control the fidelity of the entire array (in the bass region). YMMV.

When you buy matched loudspeakers for stereo (two channel listening), typically the manufacturer tries to match the components left-right as closely as possible. (I believe that is why some folks value consecutively numbered loudspeakers when buying pre-owned although I believe this to be overstated in value in actual listening performance.) When you place an array of speakers on your front wall (a "wall of sound") I would prefer to have a switch that could turn off dissimilar loudspeakers in that array - so that I have the opportunity to hear the music reproduced with a single "matched pair" of loudspeakers.

Also note that a pair of Khorns properly set up will sound like the entire end of the room is loaded with loudspeakers (at your room width). If you were able to time align the Khorn drivers (like Greg Oshiro did), you would experience an even greater soundstage/apparent source width than stock Khorns using passive crossovers and a single stereo amplifier. Two Khorns will have no trouble playing to whatever loudness level that you might wish in your room without audible modulation distortion, assuming that you have a few watts/channel available for all channels (in this case - six channels amplified).

From the pictures you provided, your room is clearly a joy as a listening space. Congratulations!

Best wishes on your audio journeys.

Chris

Edited by Chris A