Looking to upgrade my home theater into the HD world

Kain

Glad someone finally mentioned the Oppo. I hesitated to spend the extra $ but very glad that I did. I got the 103 and it's versatile and just excellent. Does about everything I need. On the amplification and processing side, it's darn hard to beat Marantz and Klipsch for my money. I replaced a mediocre sounding Denon with Marantz separates with great results. If I had not been able to get the separates, I would have gone to a Marantz AVR. You might end up getting something else when all is said and done, but Oppo and Marantz should at least be considered. Best of luck and cheers to all!!

If 4k ever comes in disc format, it probably will not be blu ray compatible. Right now it is only a streaming capability through special boxes. The reason that it wont be compatible with blu ray is the same reason blu ray isn't compatible with DVD. The burn pattern and actual laser lens is different on a blu ray than a DVD. The reason for this is the data had to be shrunk to allow more data to be present on the disc. The difference between 4k and 1080p is strictly a resolution difference, greater resolution allows an image to be blown up larger and still appear clear. The file size is HUGE though, so i doubt we will see them in blu rays specifically, unless they can somehow add additional layers to the disc (they have dual layer already). If that is the case though, current blu ray players would still probably not support these new blu rays (unless a software update could add the capability).

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am thinking of this for my DVD to Blu-ray upgrade:

TV: Sony KDL-42W800 (I know it is only a 42" but I don't have space for a larger TV)

Blu-ray Disc Player: OPPO BDP-103

Preamplifier: Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5000

Amplifier: Parasound Halo A 51

Now I'll just have to wait a few months to save up for the upgrade. ^_^

That looks pretty good. Both OPPO and Parasound have high standards. The Parasound rates it's amp with all channels driven, which hardly any AVR manufacturer does, so you would be getting 250 REAL watts, 8 Ohms, RMS, for each channel, with everything running full tilt. I knew John Curl (designer of the Parasound) in Berkeley in the '70s (he probably doesn't remember me); he is a brilliant guy who REALLY cares about quality!

With a small screen, if that is all you have space for, 4K will make less of a difference. 1080p is fine for our 130" projection screen, with facial detail that is beyond belief.

Right now, there are internet wars going on. I'm not sure what the implications are for super high rez streaming.

Edited by Garyrc

Just thought I would update this thread. Basically, I am going put the upgrade on hold. I have decided to turn the current home theater room into a bedroom and one of the bedrooms into the home theater. This will allow me to have a 65" (or even slightly larger) TV and spread out the left/right speakers more for better stereo separation. Only grip is that the new home theater room is almost or basically a square. It is also about the same width but shorter in length compared to the current home theater room. Let's see how it turns out! By the way, I am not going to exchange the two rooms till I am ready to re-build the home theater from the ground-up. I'll be replacing everything so I might as well just leave it as it is till I am ready to start a new home theater from scratch (which will include UHD/4K, new speakers, etc.).

Have you thought about a projector?

Good Epson or BenQ 1080p projectors and screens can be had for less than the same 65" TV. I upgraded at Christmas and haven't had my plasma turned on in months. It even looks pretty sharp in the day time with weak ambient light in the room. Also, you don't have to pay for all the 'smart' bs the is sold with all new TV's.

Have you thought about a projector?

Good Epson or BenQ 1080p projectors and screens can be had for less than the same 65" TV. I upgraded at Christmas and haven't had my plasma turned on in months. It even looks pretty sharp in the day time with weak ambient light in the room. Also, you don't have to pay for all the 'smart' bs the is sold with all new TV's.

Is it still worth getting a projector when the largest screen size I can support physically is around 65-70"? Wouldn't it make more sense to just get a TV if I am limited to this screen size?