2 Channel Amp Advice to power 2x KG4s

ComradeZ

Aloha,

So I made the step up and sold my Promedia 2.1 system and picked up a pair of vintage KG4s (1985, Serial number 1829 and 1830) and the guy gave me a Sony STR-DE885 AV Receiver. It's 100 watts per channel and at 8 ohms.

The thing is, I keep hearing how a 2 channel Amp would be much better. Can anyone recommend one that has optical in, 100 watts per and can do 6 ohm speakers? I'm pretty broke, so I cannot go around spending 500+ for a simple two channel amp. =(

• Like 1

I'm a noob when it comes to goofy receivers. How do I get more punch from passive subs in back without turning it up to 80 on the receiver? I'm not familiar with LFE, Frequency for mid, high and bass.

Also how do I know if my crossovers need to be replaced? I'm thinking since I got poor lows that the crossover is prehistoric. Thinking of getting a rebuild kit from crite speakers.

• Like 1

KG4 need to be placed in the corner. Ideally angled into the corner to let the passive use the corner to extend that bass. I don't have good corners right now so mine sit close but not quite and I know I lose a little. But you can push them into the corner and make minor adjustments you should be able to find a sweet spot.

Mine are from 1990 and I've not replaced the crossovers. They sound just fine.

ComradeZ,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you located stateside or as your name and greeting may indicate, somewhere quite a few miles away?

Check one of these out.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8050/onkyo-tx-8050-2-channel-network-stereo-receiver/1.html

I have the Integra version DTM-40.4 and I am totally pleased with the performance I get out of my Heresys. Great bass drive, sweet neutral midrange, very detailed highs. Did I mention a 3-dimensional soundstage? It has digital inputs(RCA, optical) as well as analog RCA inputs. Stereo preouts for adding outboard amp as well as a subwoofer preout. Also networking features for streaming music files(wired and wireless with additional USB dongle) and onboard tuning for Pandora, Spotify, etc.

With the additional wireless dongle,

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkuwf1a/onkyo-uwf-1-wireless-usb-network-adapter-new/1.html

your price of entry is a little over $200.00.

Bill

Edited by willland

I reside in Hawaii.

Aloha,

Yeah, I live on the isle of Oahu. Hard place to get vintage stuff without it being destroyed by environment or rot of some sort.

Download the owners manual for that Sony to help you with settings.

Since you don't have a Powered Sub, you'll want set your Speakers to LARGE & Subwoofer to NO.

I have a similar, but a little older Sony.

how about those frequencies that it has after selecting speaker?

That onkyo looks great but they want 73 dollars to ship it. No one wants to send equipment here. =(

Edited by ComradeZ
  • Like 1

I hope they have that receiver in stock for a few more months. Low on extra cash for noise.

They usually do have the Onkyo TX-8050's in stock, as a matter of fact, I often see them for less than the current amount.

Bill

I reside in Hawaii. Aloha,

I kind of assumed that.

Yeah, I live on the isle of Oahu. Hard place to get vintage stuff without it being destroyed by environment or rot of some sort.

A long way for vintage gear to travel safely.

Bill

Yeah, as I know nothing of these type of things AND I got a high req hearing loss on the left and low freq on the right, tuning stereos is best left for lasers and microphones lol.

Will new crite speaker crossovers do much for me?

I replaced the cables with some 16 gauge and tinned the ends. The last guy was using power extension cords! Sounds cleaner now.

Also, these KG4s only get more bump the louder you go right? Not like an active type sub that's always there..

• Like 1

Set them to Large & Standard on LFE & I think you don't have to bother with the crossover settings.

I'd listen a while, then send the crossovers to Bob Crites to re-build, if desired.

What exactly am I listening for? I have no point of reference.

• Like 1