LaScala Sonic Detail Improvement for only $220.98

ClaudeJ1

I have a pair of Kappa 15Cs in my JBL 4560As and they really brought out the mid bass in my system. Im going to replace the K33 with the Kappas in both pairs of LS....

Great post!!!

Thanks, I was hoping others especially with LaScalas, would benefit the same way I did in my Quarter Pies, even though my initial observations came as a LaScala dude with K-43's. For those who like to really crank (liek commercial DJ types in big rooms), the Kappa 15 LFC is like a K-43 for about $20 more, now that the 15C's aren't on sale anymore. It won't go as high, but will play louder because of higher Xmax. For home use and critical listening, the 15C still wins.

So, Mr. Lifter, used K-33's in Garage sale soon?

Yes sir... So for absolute LOUD as in my set up- the LFC would be better than the C??

Thanks

As I look at the curves, the LFC has about 2.5 db less output at 400 Hz. where our ears are more sensisitve. So "better" is a relative term. I don't think the LFC's would sound as good for home use, they can just handle more power, which creates more distortion, right? With the "wall of sound" approach you have taken, I would stick with the 15C.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Claude thanks for posting info I used Kappa C's on my first two La scala builds back in 2008 and they were to date the best sounding La scala's I have had .

Well, now we all know why. The curves don't lie, even though they present their info in a realtive manner. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

ClaudeJ1, Is this truly a unbolt/unscrew the K33, screw in the Kappa 15C or is more work necessary?

Yep, just take out the old and bolt in the new. No extra work necessary. Nothing to it. If you go and do it, please report your findings here after listening.

Also, keep in mind that AFAIK, all Klipsch woofers are made by Eminence, so it's not as radical as changing to other brands.

Is the Kappa 15C compatible with a B&K A/4500 crossover?

Claude thanks for posting info I used Kappa C's on my first two La scala builds back in 2008 and they were to date the best sounding La scala's I have had .

Well, now we all know why. Thanks for the feedback.

This woofer also works very well in the Altec A7 cabinets .

This probably a dumb question... I have 3 Db attenuation on my La Scala Fastrac horns w Atlas pd-5vh. The fastrac drop-off more steeply and have slightly less output. I am installing kappa 15c tomorrow which spec 3 Db more efficient than what they are replacing. Can I run these without any inductors? Just two capacitors? Maybe crossover mid a little higher with the Kappa and fastrac? Thx Sean.

Going by specs can be deceiving, since they are not based on horn loading, but usually tested in a sealed box with a standard air volume. Wait and see what they actually do. Look at my curves. You probably won't have to change anything.

This probably a dumb question... I have 3 Db attenuation on my La Scala Fastrac horns w Atlas pd-5vh. The fastrac drop-off more steeply and have slightly less output. I am installing kappa 15c tomorrow which spec 3 Db more efficient than what they are replacing. Can I run these without any inductors? Just two capacitors? Maybe crossover mid a little higher with the Kappa and fastrac? Thx Sean.

To answer your question less generically than before. Your fastrac dropoff more steeply and "less output" than WHAT? and How measured? Less than a K-400 horn, less than existing woofer, or less than the 15C specification? Plus I have no idea what Xover you are using now, so your information is incomplete.

A simple bolt in swap and your favorite music should tell you more than I ever could with words.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I am very interested in this thread.

I currently have a set of Crites Cornscalas Type B. I am planning to build the components into a new LaScala style horn/enclosure.

The main issue raised was the LaScala stock XO point of 400Hz for the woofer and the M2380 horns and D405 driver are only usable down to 500Hz. I am willing to upgrade in the future but would like to get up and running with the parts at my disposal. The Crites woofer is cast and I believe the Eminence Kappa is a drop in replacement for the Crites (anyone confirm?). Obviously I would need a new LaScala XO, but it seems that the woofer>squawker blend is doable...

...anything I'm missing?

I am very interested in this thread.

I currently have a set of Crites Cornscalas Type B. I am planning to build the components into a new LaScala style horn/enclosure.

The main issue raised was the LaScala stock XO point of 400Hz for the woofer and the M2380 horns and D405 driver are only usable down to 500Hz. I am willing to upgrade in the future but would like to get up and running with the parts at my disposal. The Crites woofer is cast and I believe the Eminence Kappa is a drop in replacement for the Crites (anyone confirm?). Obviously I would need a new LaScala XO, but it seems that the woofer>squawker blend is doable...

...anything I'm missing?

A pair of used/reconed EVM15L's would get you up even higher but they are the same price as new Eminence Kappa 15C's, so those will do fine. The only thing you are missing is two new (to you) woofers.

A pair of used/reconed EVM15L's would get you up even higher but they are the same price as new Eminence Kappa 15C's, so those will do fine. The only thing you are missing is two new (to you) woofers.

Thanks for the fast reply Claude. I already have the Crites woofers. I believe they are the same spec as the Kappa 15C. Based on your OP, I should be able to blend them at 500Hz, correct.

So, all I need is a stock LaScala crossover and the upper range of the woofer should naturally fill in the lower limit of the horn, correct?

Thanks for the fast reply Claude. I already have the Crites woofers. I believe they are the same spec as the Kappa 15C. Based on your OP, I should be able to blend them at 500Hz, correct. So, all I need is a stock LaScala crossover and the upper range of the woofer should naturally fill in the lower limit of the horn, correct?

No, not correct. The Crites CW1526 emulates the old square magnet K-33. The CW1526C is the cast frame version, which is different and improved. Neither one is the same as a Kappa 15C at all. If you must use the Crites woofers, then the cast version is the way better version of the two, but you will have to shave wood or cut metal to get it in there.

post-20774-0-13760000-1399941517_thumb.jpost-20774-0-92960000-1399941490_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Claude,

I see your point. Comparing the plots of the Kappa to the Crites: looks close, it is down a bit in the upper registers. There do seem to be several people who use the Crites woofer as an upgrade to the stock Klipsch driver. But that seems an apples to 30-year-old-oranges comparison...

My goal really is to get the build done first and not invest too much into drivers and horns off the bat. That said, I want this to be a kit of parts that can upgrade, grow, and educate over the rest of the year.

Thanks again for the advice.