LaScala Sonic Detail Improvement for only $220.98

ClaudeJ1

For the last hour iv read this entire thread, some kind of great idea here, im sitting on a set of splits, but I rally don't want to mess with my originals, so this sounds like a nice winter project later this year, Scalas are a dime a dozen in a state with 38 million people, I may just shop for a set this summer.

• Like 1

Whether I"m playing a plane crash, fireworks, dubstep, or crappy recordings from the 70's, speakers should not limit the bandwidth of reproduction in a listening room, period.

I have followed this thread and really enjoy reading the rational to answer question and support on statements Claude. I especially like the above quote!

Claude, I was fortunate to have read this thread. The best upgrade to my La Scalas' thus far is Dave's Fastrac horn but the A/4500 did not integrate as well. The "handshake" is well nigh perfect! Also, mid-bass up is in another league. Thank you as I have no need to change crossover points. Sean.

Claude, I was fortunate to have read this thread. The best upgrade to my La Scalas' thus far is Dave's Fastrac horn but the A/4500 did not integrate as well. The "handshake" is well nigh perfect! Also, mid-bass up is in another league. Thank you as I have no need to change crossover points. Sean.

Thanks for the feedback/update. It's always good to see the past experience/memory and simulated curves provided here actually working in the real world, since I now longer own LaScalas for testing this out.

Also I have heard Dave's Fastrac horns and they are excellent sounding for small horns. LOL. Remember I have K-402's where the "Tweeter" would be bigger than the woofer when used with LaScala bottoms. LOL.

So, do you now have K-33's in the "stock room" or up for sale in the Garage section? LOL

Let's hope others here will also benefit from reporting your success and report back.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

That's the tough part. Here in Alaska I own them as spares. They are heavy!

Yes, I don't see UPS, FedEx or DHL going out of business anytime soon. If they do, it won't be because they don't have enough cash flow.

That's the tough part. Here in Alaska I own them as spares. They are heavy!

Yes, I don't see UPS, FedEx or DHL going out of business anytime soon. If they do, it won't be because they don't have enough cash flow.

DHL is almost out of business already.

• 1 year later...

A pair of used/reconed EVM15L's would get you up even higher but they are the same price as new Eminence Kappa 15C's, so those will do fine. The only thing you are missing is two new (to you) woofers.

I have a 1975 LaScala center channel with the CTS K-33P woofer.  After reading this thread I went for it.

I replaced it with the EV EVM 15L,  works well with an inductor change. (Type AA), then I tried the EV EVM 15B.  Both fit with no problem with frame width.  

To me the EVM 15B was a better blend with stock K-400/K-55V mid.  It will stay.   :)

attachicon.gifP1010255.JPG

Good move. the only ceveat is that it's an 8 ohm driver, but if it's more efficient than the 4 ohm K33, then it may be a wash in terms of decibels of output vs. driver voltage.

Claude,  I do thank you for the inspiration. :)

CJstack1010web.jpg

OMG, it's been 8 years since I had that stack. I quickly discovered that you don't need twin bottoms with an MWMs woofer section, Only one will do. If you don't have the space, then you can build my Quarter Pie, which only give up 5 Hz. at the bottom realtive to the MWM but saves over 40% of the room space. It also only sticks out 1 foot more than a LaScala but adds a full octave or real horn bass (you can use your EVM's for it, since it was the original design). Then sell everything and get a pair of K-402's with any good 2-way driver. You will never go back.

If I sold my whole setup I probably still couldn't afford the Danley's I would want.

Honestly, I'd be more interested to hear a quarter pie than any Danleys.   :)

Well, with their current patent protection, they are pricey, but they do perform well in very small boxes relative to their bandwidth and output power with low distortion and linear phase behavior with constant directivity tapped conical horn.

Quarter pies are easy and cheap to build, so you could easily try a pair without selling anything. I personally think they are best at bridging the gap between a LaScala and an MWMs and they are smoother than any of them, even a K or Jube.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

If I sold my whole setup I probably still couldn't afford the Danley's I would want.

Honestly, I'd be more interested to hear a quarter pie than any Danleys.   :)

Well, with their current patent protection, they are pricey, but they do perform well in very small boxes relative to their bandwidth and output power with low distortion and linear phase behavior with constant directivity tapped conical horn.

Quarter pies are easy and cheap to build, so you could easily try a pair without selling anything. I personally think they are best at bridging the gap between a LaScala and an MWMs and they are smoother than any of them when no PEQ is involved, even a K or Jube.