LaScala Sonic Detail Improvement for only $220.98

ClaudeJ1

All the goodness of an MWM just in a smaller, cheaper, easier to build form. What's not to like. The new ones will be for the rears in a 7.2 setup. I am going to alter Claude's design just a bit and make them completely straight to help them fit the available space (hanging from the ceiling).

Edited by tromprof

Is this the speaker being talked about. I have Cornwall I's.  http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-pro-15lfc-15-professional-low-frequency-woofer-4-ohm--290-461

Thank's

That link is for the 15LFC - the woofer Claude mentioned  is for the less pricey 15C  http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-15c-15-driver-4-ohm--290-459

The PRO goes a bit lower. Would it be a better choice?   Thank's for the reply.

The point of the upgrade was in the huge midrange improvement. The determinant for the TRUE low end is in the LENGTH of the horn, not so much the driver in it. Why does everyone want to change the recipe of a great dish, I'll never understand.

Well, since this thread is still alive, what the heck. Any thoughts on this same type of "upgrade" for the K-31's in the Jube?

I worked on a Jube-like design, with a passive radiator. He owned a pair of Golden Jubilee bass bins, of which there are only 4 in the world, two in the Klipsch museum. Messing with other drivers and K-31's we were unable to make anything one might call an "improvement." I have curves to back this up. Maybe some expensive Neo Magnet Eminence drivers had a tad more top end at 900 Hz. but sacrificed a db or so at the bottom. Who wants that?

Leave the K-31's alone. They are great drivers.

The PRO goes a bit lower. Would it be a better choice?   Thank's for the reply.

The point of the upgrade was in the huge midrange improvement. The determinant for the TRUE low end is in the LENGTH of the horn, not so much the driver in it. Why does everyone want to change the recipe of a great dish, I'll never understand.

OK, so an improvement to the midrange it is. Can't go wrong there.

OK, so an improvement to the midrange it is. Can't go wrong there.

Also in the price of the driver, which has dropped permanently by $20, so the sale price is now the new price. 15C is the best woofer value I know of for LaScalas or for Quarter Pies, when you want great midrange and a FULL OCTAVE lower bass, the Quarter pies are easier to build too.

So, in shopping online, it seems Eminence makes several variants of their 15" speaker: the Impero, the Lab, the Kilomax, and the 15c.  There are obvious structural differences between these models.  Has anyone has experimented with these variants to see whether one in particular performs significantly better than the others?

Apologies in advance if this has been covered in another thread.

I ran simulations on many drivers and had 3 in my Quarter Pies. The Kappa 15C was my "best bang for buck" in the Quarter Pie and LaScala, since on the LaScala there's a 4-5 DB drop at 400 hz. in the stock K-33 driver.

The K-43 is much better in this regard but twice the money of the 15C, hence the OP.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Well, since this thread is still alive, what the heck. Any thoughts on this same type of "upgrade" for the K-31's in the Jube?

I would use  the EV EVM 12L   same as used in the PRO Heresy.  You need a sub for the lower freq anyway, so why not use the best sounding driver down to 60 Hz.    IMHO   :)

EV3.jpg

I can't disagree with this notion. Sounds good to me. I"m using a pair in my Super Heresy's for my HT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading all of the posts, I have heard of this upgrade.

The question that I have is this:

Do the spiders, cones and surrounds on the original Klipsch LaScala 1980s wear out, has their performance degraded over 35 years?