LaScala Sonic Detail Improvement for only $220.98

ClaudeJ1

1 minute ago, jason str said:

I doubt flipping the bass bin 90 degrees will do anything but experimentation is free.

Won't the floor and the weight of top section help to mitigate the thin panels vibrations? Even a little bit…

2 minutes ago, Alessio said:

Won't the floor and the weight of top section help to mitigate the thin panels vibrations? Even a little bit…

Using feet, not likely.

Attaching the bass bin to the top section as an alternative, could be.

• 2 months later...

Hello

I am thinking of making a LaScala two ways with a Faital-pro HF200-8 +TD460N  or  a Faital-pro HF140-8+LTH142, combined with

this Beyma 12BR70-8 in the bass bin ! OK it is just a 12",  if it has to be scaled down, lets do it.

Could this be done ? I have no simulation tools nor talent for doing it.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Beyma 12BR70-8

• Power capacity        125 W RMS
  • Nominal diameter        300 mm 12 in
  • Nominal impedance        8 ohm
  • Minimum impedance        6.6 ohm
  • Program power        250 W
  • Sensitivity        93 dB 1 W @ 1m @ 2Π
  • Frequency range        25-4000 Hz
  • Recommended enclosure volume        50 / 120 l 1.77 / 4.24 ft³
  • Voice coil diameter        52 mm 2 in
  • BL factor        12.1 N/A
  • Moving mass        0.074
  • Winding length        19 mm
  • Air gap height        7 mm
  • Xdamage pp        25 mm

THIELE SMALL PARAMETERS

• Fs        31 Hz
  • Re        5.6 ohm
  • Qms        4.44
  • Qes        0.56
  • Qts        0.50
  • Vas        142 l
  • Cms        345 µm / N
  • Rms        3.3 kg / s
  • Efficiency %        0.76
  • Sd        0.054 m²
  • Xmax        8 mm
  • Vd        340 cm³
  • Le @1 kHz        0.85 mH

CONSTRUCTIVE DETAILS

• Net weight        3.6 kg 7.92 lb
  • Total weight        4.1 kg 9.04 lb
  • Magnet        Ferrite

Thanks

Those who have heard and felt horn bass and sub bass from an all horn system want to go home and throw rocks at their DR woofers.

That's a statement I can relate to. In fact, I'm throwing rocks at my DR subs right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Great thread!!   Quick question....

Most everyone stating the The Kappa 15C is a upgrade are also using a subwoofer.

I am not. 

Is the The Kappa 15C still a good choice?    Has anyone ran the The Kappa 15A (8 ohm version) in a La Scala?

Thanks everybody!

Bob

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, jason str said:

I doubt flipping the bass bin 90 degrees will do anything but experimentation is free.

Install braces.

100% CORRECT!  The single best quick upgrade you can make to a La Scala. Better than recapping or tweeter upgrades and nearly as effective as replacing the sides with 25mm Baltic birch and far easier to do than side replacements.

Like my Super Heresy mod, it's nice to see something I wrote over 6 1/2 YEARS ago is still being discussed and acted upon in the name of better sound from some great Klipsch speakers Paul created that have withstood the greatest test of all.................the test of time (and many ears).

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 5:25 AM, drboar said:

With a 12" woofer you can extend the hornpath with a short straight stub into the doghouse, extending the bass some few Hz. I would rather look into that then scaling down the basshorn and getting the midrange horn even lower.

Waste of time. Just build a Peavey FH-1, or find a used one on Craigslist dirt cheap and repaint it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Like my Super Heresy mod, it's nice to see something I wrote over 6 1/2 YEARS ago is still being discussed and acted upon in the name of better sound from some great Klipsch speakers Paul created that have withstood the greatest test of all.................the test of time (and many ears).

Is the 15C driver an upgrade in recent vintage Heritage speakers?

Looked at Parts Express and they show in stock. Reasonable too.

Always interested in improvements. But extremely satisfied with as is.

45 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

dont forget the KLIPSCH k43  -----

5 hours ago, Panelhead said:

Klipsch use to, and may still do, use Eminence speakers. If satisfied I would not change but the 15C would be a good replacement. Remember almost all companies will buy from the lowest bidder with same specifications if they can. Our Gov does and so did NASA with the space program. Complete speaker systems such as Klipsch buy drivers and speakers from makers of such products and then put their name on them. Speakers cannot read what name is put on them. They just make sound. 

59 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Klipsch use to, and may still do, use Eminence speakers. If satisfied I would not change but the 15C would be a good replacement. Remember almost all companies will buy from the lowest bidder with same specifications if they can. Our Gov does and so did NASA with the space program. Complete speaker systems such as Klipsch buy drivers and speakers from makers of such products and then put their name on them. Speakers cannot read what name is put on them. They just make sound. 

The reason the Klipschorn beat the JBL Hartsfield (1957) and other Corner horns in the marketplace for over 73 years, is Paul didn't waste money where is wasn't needed. He understood what was important and didn't waste a dime on anything beyond what was necessary to reach the level of performance he felt was required. I remember a quote in his biography telling another engineer "What the hell do you need a Pentode in an amplifier for, all you need is ONE good watt to drive a Klipshorn (in the home)! He also believed you didn't need more than 17 db headroom, since all his personal recordings of a full symphony orchestra (several of which I heard back in 1985 at his home) was the basis for the dynamic range requirement. The Eminence 15C driver, is exactly what is required for a LaScala or a Peavey FH-1, both SHORT HORNS, that work well in the home or for high fidelity applications in the home. "Overkill design" was not PWK's philosophy, but lowering costs by higher purchasing volume and using a K-33 for as many products as possible to achieve that was a very wise thing to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The reason the Klipschorn beat the JBL Hartsfield (1957) and other Corner horns in the marketplace for over 73 years, is Paul didn't waste money where is wasn't needed. He understood what was important and didn't waste a dime on anything beyond what was necessary to reach the level of performance he felt was required. 

Smart successful business man. Used his talents where it meant the most. There were excellent pro drivers and speakers in his time so why bother designing and making your own. Where is the Hartsfield and the other corner horns now? Still some old ones floating around but most have died long ago or are collecting dust in a garage. Klipschorn is still selling strong and the used market is strong as well. Small for a horn bass speaker with eye appeal as well. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:54 PM, OCBob said:

Great thread!!   Quick question....

Most everyone stating the The Kappa 15C is a upgrade are also using a subwoofer.

I am not. 

Is the The Kappa 15C still a good choice?    Has anyone ran the The Kappa 15A (8 ohm version) in a La Scala?

Thanks everybody!

Bob

If you aren't using a sub, I would say no. I love my LS without a sub, but wouldn't want to lose any more of the bottom end. (I'm not going to hop on the 'everybody needs a sub' bandwagon. I get it, but many don't want an extra box in the room, for whatever reason). My LS have the mids dropped a little bit, making the bass sound a little more full. Between that and the sysergy between the amp and cabinet, I'm okay with it. Of course, YMMV.

If you went with an 8 ohm, you would need to rework the crossover.

Bruce

• Like 1