24 bit dac question

davis419b

I just bought a music server system that I have been wanting for a long time. The problem is when I got it all set up it would not play music through my Cambridge Audio dac because it is 16 bic and all of the music on the hard drive is 24 bit or more. What I want to know (and I know it is a dumb question) is will a hard drive with 16 bit music play in this system ? This is all above my head but I do believe that once it is all working I should be able make it play music with my limited ability,

From a web review

DacMagic 'upsamples' a digital audio signal from 16-bit/44.1 kHz to 24-bit/192 kHz. Although a full discussion of digital audio is beyond this article, suffice to say that increasing the bit rate from 16 to 24-bits increases the size of each digital sample and upsampling the incoming digital signal from 44.1 kHz (44,100 samples per second) to 192 kHz (192,000 samples per second) increases the quantity of digital pulses sampled per second. The results are greater dynamic range and extended high frequency response of the analog signal output.

My Focusrite is a Pro Audio DAC which comes with mixing software that had to be set up first which was confusing at the start or the more likely culprit could be making sure you have chosen the correct audio playback device on your PC

If you cannot play anything, it is likely that your computer has a 24 bit USB port and you have not downloaded the software. I initially had this problem. Read your instruction manual and then go to the web and download the software (if you have a USB 2 port)

Don, is this the first time you have tried to play sound out of the USB port? Don't forget to change playback device to USB (I'm assuming Windows). darn work interferred with posting, I'm late

Edited by USNRET

Don, is this the first time you have tried to play sound out of the USB port? Don't forget to change playback device to USB (I'm assuming Windows). darn work interferred with posting, I'm late

This is my first time and you know me I am technically stupid !! Maybe I am in over my head but it is too late as I have already bought the system.

Is this an existing DAC that you have used before now ??, If so can I assume you used it with another PC. MAC, I agree it is likely your settings somewhere in the chain, for my schiit dac I had to download CMedia drivers off the schiit website

I am not a fan of upsampling DACs Mine will read several different rates but does not upsample at least that is what they claim

Is this an existing DAC that you have used before now ??, If so can I assume you used it with another PC. MAC, I agree it is likely your settings somewhere in the chain, for my schiit dac I had to download CMedia drivers off the schiit website

I am not a fan of upsampling DACs Mine will read several different rates but does not upsample at least that is what they claim

I have only used it with a cd player . I have never had a pc system for music before.

If you cannot play anything, it is likely that your computer has a 24 bit USB port and you have not downloaded the software. I initially had this problem. Read your instruction manual and then go to the web and download the software (if you have a USB 2 port)

I am sure it is working because I can see the vu meters moving on the monitor.

I am sure it is working because I can see the vu meters moving on the monitor.

I don't know if this means anything but he was using Foobar 2000

I am confused. The OP was talking about his music stored on the HD at 24 bit and higher, and the DAC was 16 bit. That is not upsampling, it is the reverse. If the DAC is 16 bit, then the data stream coming in to the DAC needs to be 16 bit or lower doesn't it? Wouldn't the computer need to downsample the stream?

That is the proper software as provided by the manufacturer (on their download site). I am just wondering if it is set up properly.

I bought this system from Gary Dodd the tube amp builder . He built the tube dac that he was using and wants to sell me one. His comment yesterday when he came over to set everything up was my dac wont work because it is a 16bit dac. He knows I am technically challenged and wants to sell me one of his $1,600 dacs so I don't think he is going to be much help.

Some of you guys are out of your realm and just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks. Let's get some details of what the system components are and the playback software and go from there.

My system is 100% file based and I've grown up with this medium.. Don, your issues are right in my sweet spot.