24 bit dac question

davis419b

Please keep this going until a solution is found. Although its frustrating for both the OP and others who are helping, as a digital neophyte I am learning a lot. One of the biggest things Im learning it that I need to stick with apple products!

Josh

Please keep this going until a solution is found. Although its frustrating for both the OP and others who are helping, as a digital neophyte I am learning a lot. One of the biggest things Im learning it that I need to stick with apple products!

Josh

I am glad you are learning Josh that proves you are smarter than I am !

If you go to start, then devices and printers, do you see the DAC?

I see usb receiver but I don't know what that means.

Unless you have other USB devices connected, this may be your DAC.

This may be worth a try.....

Make sure the DAC is powered up

At the bottom right of your screen( in the tool bar tray) there should be a speaker icon (Windows 7)

Right click on this and select playback devices.

Make note of the one that is currently checked as you can always go back and change it.

Look for one that says USB audio device or USB receiver, highlight it and then set as default

I have the DacMagic Plus using Foobar and Windows 7.

My configuration settings:

Control Panel

Hardware and Sound

Sound

Speakers

Device usage - make sure "Use this device(enable)" is selected

Also under "Speakers" "Advanced" tab "24 bit" is selected

These are the reading on my Cambridge, which I think is newer than yours

I checked the electronic copy I have of my old DacMagic manual. Yep, 16 bit for USB. I didn't remember that because I don't think I had many 24 bit files at the time. To play 24bit requires toslink or spdif coax. To make this more simple I would test with some 16 bit audio files. You could just play some 16 bit audio through windows media player for testing. I say this because you can set Foobar to output to other audio devices that would bypass your settings in Control Panel

For my unit, 16 bit was the limit until I downloaded Foobar and the USB 2 software to my laptop which let the DAC use USB2 rather than the DAC's factory settings which were USB1. Again, this may be different on older models.

Beautiful, relevant experience! You two ladies need to sync up and sort through things while the rest of us STFU and not add to the confusion. ;)

Never had any respect for anyone who made derogatory comments on the internet. Always seemed cowardly to me. If you thought our contributions were not helpful there were other ways to have said that.

• Like 1

Beautiful, relevant experience! You two ladies need to sync up and sort through things while the rest of us STFU and not add to the confusion. ;)

Never had any respect for anyone who made derogatory comments on the internet. Always seemed cowardly to me. If you thought our contributions were not helpful there were other ways to have said that.

wow, I'm sincerely sorry. My comment was entirely misunderstood and the attempt at light humor totally didn't translate.

You in fact are the first person in the thread with the greatest potential to be helpful since you have a very similar hardware and software configuration. The rest was just a perhaps-less-than-truly-funny way for me to remind everyone, including myself, to stop cluttering up thread with guesses and let the two of you see if you can find a solution.

wow, I'm sincerely sorry. My comment was entirely misunderstood and the attempt at light humor totally didn't translate.

You in fact are the first person in the thread with the greatest potential to be helpful since you have a very similar hardware and software configuration. The rest was just a perhaps-less-than-truly-funny way for me to remind everyone, including myself, to stop cluttering up thread with guesses and let the two of you see if you can find a solution.

Yeah that is the way I took it. Thaddeus was encouraging, not discouraging your contributions.

Bill

I think Michael was trying to be encouraging to eth2 while telling the rest of us to FO.

I'll let Davis decide if he wants any more help from me. He has certainly been getting a lot of information from all directions.

but with absolutely zero malicious intent behind it. not everyone has the context of my personality or communication style and I sometimes forget that.

If you go to start, then devices and printers, do you see the DAC?

No

Have you tried a different USB cable?

Carl, I went back and did some reading on earlier post and did what you said and the Cambridge dac doesn't show up anywhere

I would think that Windows would recognize it and install drivers. Every time I've used my DAC (different brand than yours) on someone else's lap top or PC, windows sees it and loads it. All I have to do is find it and put a check next to it to make it the default. I did it several times just at the gathering. It shouldn't be this hard.

I don't speak native "DAC" either, but a while back I had an Audioengine D1 and my first use Windows would not recognize it and install the appropriate drivers. Under 'devices and printers' I could see the DAC connected as a 'device' but not identified as 'Audioengine' and it would not work.

I tried a different USB cable and it installed the appropriate drivers and worked fine, although I don't have any idea why the cable made the difference.

Edited by Fjd

Michael,

If I misunderstood your comment, you have my apology. This is a real danger of any forum, email etc.

I do not have a deep knowledge in this area. I just know that I had some of the same issues and a support person helped me get the DAC up and running, Having said that, my DacMagic is the newest version of the inexpensive DAC so it may not be relevant to the older version. If someone with expertise in this area would like me to check my settings, I would be happy to o so.

Checking my Devices settings, the DAC is not listed. So in response to a previous question, the lack of the DAC being listed does not seem to indicate a problem

Earl

Nice way of saying that earl, I had an immediate response that yours covered in a much better way, I am typically tact challenged :D

• Like 1

Michael,

If I misunderstood your comment, you have my apology. This is a real danger of any forum, email etc.

I do not have a deep knowledge in this area. I just know that I had some of the same issues and a support person helped me get the DAC up and running, Having said that, my DacMagic is the newest version of the inexpensive DAC so it may not be relevant to the older version. If someone with expertise in this area would like me to check my settings, I would be happy to o so.

Checking my Devices settings, the DAC is not listed. So in response to a previous question, the lack of the DAC being listed does not seem to indicate a problem

Earl

I have sent the serial number to Cambridge Audio to see if mine will support 24bit which I don't think it will but atleast it will put that question to rest.

As I understand it you have the DacMagic 100. The Amazon site has a description of the unit and it indicates it is "24 bit compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-100-Silver/dp/B0078Q4FEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397766920&sr=8-1&keywords=dacmagic+100

•Digital to Analogue Converter featuring S/PDIF and Toslink digital inputs and USB audio input (all 24 bit compatible)

•Wolfson WM8742 24bit DAC

•24-bit/192kHz USB Audio 2.0 input with ASIO or kernel streaming modes

•Asynchronous USB transfer for very low jitter USB Audio input allowing streaming of up to 24-bit/192kHz audio from computer

•USB audio input allows the DacMagic 100 to act as a high quality DAC/soundcard for your computer