24 bit dac question

davis419b

Some of you guys are out of your realm and just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks. Let's get some details of what the system components are and the playback software and go from there.

I fall into that category but as stated above, if you don't go into the control panel and select your DAC as the primary audio device, nothing will play. I've had that happen every time I've used my DAC with someone else's system.

Some of you guys are out of your realm and just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks. Let's get some details of what the system components are and the playback software and go from there.

My system is 100% file based and I've grown up with this medium.. Don, your issues are right in my sweet spot.

Thanks to everybody for all of the help but I am not giving you info on this stuff because I know nothing about it. The computer says Quada cube N3 on the back of it.

I fall into that category but as stated above, if you don't go into the control panel and select your DAC as the primary audio device, nothing will play. I've had that happen every time I've used my DAC with someone else's system.

You would think Dodd would have been able to do that if he really wanted to help me !

Actually, scratch that.. Foobar has too much fiddle-factor for you.

Go download JRiver Media Center - there's a free 30 day trial, and it's a mere $50 if you like it and want to purchase a license. It'll give you robust music management and easily downsample all of your your files to 16/44.1 for playback on your existing DAC. The best part of all is that me or Rudy both use it and can walk you through stuff.

http://www.jriver.com/

Here's the getting started guide: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started

Edited by Thaddeus Smith

Yes, but I couldn't discern clearly that it was what you were using. Lemme check into a few things and report back.

When the main screen comes up it says welcome to Hollis Audio Labs. When I click on Foobar and it comes up in the top left hand corner it says Foobar 2000 V1.1.15

Did you go into the control panel and make sure your DAC was checked as the audio output?

This may be the key to it. I wouldn't think you have to do or buy a lot of extra stuff.

On a Mac, you go to the Settings menu. The instructions for my Dragonfly were:

1. Open system preferences
  2. Click the "sound" panel
  3. Click the "output" tab
  4. Select "Dragonfly" (in my case)

You may have to play with selecting "internal speakers"

There are also instructions for "playing audio from music and movies":

1. Open the applications folder and select utilities (again, this is a MAC)
  2. Launch Audio Midi Setup
  3. Select "Dragonfly" (or whatever)
  4. Adjust format and channels, e.g., 44100 Hz

The D/F is very well engineered, and seems to find itself on subsequent tries.

Edited by LarryC

Go download JRiver Media Center - there's a free 30 day trial, and it's a mere $50 if you like it and want to purchase a license. It'll give you robust music management and easily downsample all of your your files to 16/44.1 for playback on your existing DAC. The best part of all is that me or Rudy both use it and can walk you through stuff.

Here's the getting started guide: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started

Without a doubt I know this has got to be a good system I am just going to need help setting up so all I have to do is drag music over to the play list and click play then I will be in heaven. Rudy already said he would like to see the system before I ever tried hooking it up. He will have some time soon.

You guys are killing me. He's identified that his DAC is 16 bit only and that his music files are 24 bit. So the first hurdle we need to get through is downsampling his 24 bit files to 16 bit.. which is software based. Once we get that confirmed as working we can troubleshoot proper USB output settings, etc.

• Like 1

Did you go into the control panel and make sure your DAC was checked as the audio output?
This may be the key to it. On a Mac, I go to a Settings menu. The instructions for my Dragonfly were:
  1. Open system preferences
  2. Click the "sound" panel
  3. Click the "output" tab
  4. Select "Dragonfly" (in my case)

You may have to play with selecting "internal speakers"

There are also instructions for "playing audio from music and movies":

1. Open the applications folder and select utilities (again, this is a MAC)
  2. Launch Audio Midi Setup
  3. Select "Dragonfly" (or whatever)
  4. Adjust format and channels, e.g., 44100 Hz

The D/F is very well engineered, and seemed to find itself on subsequent tries.

The system on the computer is Windows 7 home premium.

Without a doubt I know this has got to be a good system I am just going to need help setting up so all I have to do is drag music over to the play list and click play then I will be in heaven. Rudy already said he would like to see the system before I ever tried hooking it up. He will have some time soon.

Understood. I can come out too, but it likely would be a few weeks.

You guys are killing me. He's identified that his DAC is 16 bit only and that his music files are 24 bit. So the first hurdle we need to get through is downsampling his 24 bit files to 16 bit.. which is software based. Once we get that confirmed as working we can troubleshoot proper USB output settings, etc.

The manual for the dac says it will do 16 or 24 bit.

Am I missing something here, Don clearly states that he has a 16 bit dac and is attempting to play a 24 bit file, If his dac is indeed a 16 bit dac only It will not play a 24 bit file

so foobar /jriver/ wmp/ Itunes, none of those will help unless you are trying to use the player to convert the file, which is a very confusing process for the novice and even the somewhat skilled

wouldnt the easiest thing be for Don to load his harddrive with 16 bit files that he mentioned, or buy a cheap dac that supports 24 bit,

Don said the builder set up the system and told him his dac is basically out dated