24 bit dac question

davis419b

Don,

If you want me to drive up and take a look at your setup, let me know. My setup is not like yours since I send my files to my my HTPC and let JR Media Center send the data to my Pre/Pro via HDMI. But, it can't be that complicated.

I will agree that Foobar is way more complicated than you need and there are other alternatives.

As far as spending $1500 on a DAC, I'm not sure you are going to get any real benefit that you don't already have. You are better off getting a quality crossover. IMHO.

I don't mind driving up there and taking a look at what you are doing. I can drop by in the evening if that is convenient for you.

Patience, grasshopper!

Patience is one thing I don't have a lot of when it comes to stereo gear, That's why I have always had plug and play stuff until lately. No need to make a special trip as the Oris horns should be here by mid week and we can do it all on the same day. Also Mike's Emotiva x-over will be here by then which should make it much easier. Thanks Rudy for all of your help !

Which DacMagic is it?

There are no Wav files to test? Window's has a sound test built in. You should at least hear sound out the speakers. If so you know your Windows selection is good to start off.

Good luck, it really isn't that bad :rolleyes:

Azur DacMagic-B is what the original box it came in says.

Here is a representative "Windows Sound Settings Panel" with the XDA-1 set. I think if you are trying the XDA-2, I would assume it should show up similarly. You need to make sure the right connections are made between the system and the DAC depending on toslink or USB.

post-38-0-10100000-1397860647_thumb.png

Here is a representative "Windows Sound Settings Panel" with the XDA-1 set. I think if you are trying the XDA-2, I would assume it should show up similarly. You need to make sure the right connections are made between the system and the DAC depending on toslink or USB.

Thanks ! I think the xda-2 will be much easier.

please read the XDA manual, I believe the XDA-1 has similar USB limitations to the dacmagic vs optical or coaxial and I believe the XDA-2 requires USB2 support be added to a Win PC.

I may be incorrect, but I feel that I recall previous emo discussions like this.

• Moderators

It was the XDA-1 that had that problem with limiting the USB connection it was said to be fixed on the second model. I have the first model with limited USB connection, it's why I had to find something to get away from the USB input.

The second model is ready to go with any connection (not sure about the USB2 download), I have to say I really like the sound of the XDA-1, very quiet and great sound, it's been better than expected.

Edited by dtel

The more I read the happier I am that I am 100% MAC . This is way complicated....way more than it needs to be for sure. Im sure that for many this is childs play...then someone get me a child cause I cant make head nor tails of it!

JMHO!

• Like 1

I have sent the Emo XDA-2 to Don and recommended that he use the optical connection in order to eliminate any USB issues. I personally have not had a problem with either USB or digital with the -1 or -2 given that I think digital media suck no matter the DAC used. I don't give a rat's a** how many zeros and ones are sent and how they are "interpreted", digital can not and will not replicate analog.That is a PERIOD just like the president said.

First order of business is to get sound from his computer thru whatever to speakers. THAT is what we are trying to get done. We'll worry about quality once a peep is heard.

I have Mac computers as well and I HATE them. Plug and Play NOT.

Edited by USNRET

not knowing the whole story, You might not have had any USB issues because you were hooked to an Apple OS that by default supports USB2 audio. MS OS's do not.

just a guess based upon your Mac reference.

If this is in reference to my system I mainly used external DACs (Emotiva, Meridian, etc) in a PC Windows environment but did try them in the Mac world as well.

My opinion is that anyone using an external DAC with any computer should use digital out not USB.

Edited by USNRET

10-4. if you like the emo stuff, as time goes on and resell asking prices lower, keep an eye out for the emo dc-1. its a nice unit.

Actually my on-board DACS lose nothing to the outboard DACs I have tried so I am not interested in any of them. Been there, done that.

FOR ME if I don't hear it then it didn't happen.

The whole point of my involvement in this was to help Don find out if his DAC / PC was incompatible. I had no other motives.

And now we return you to the regularly scheduled program. Thread Crap over.

Edited by USNRET

not knowing the whole story, You might not have had any USB issues because you were hooked to an Apple OS that by default supports USB2 audio. MS OS's do not.

just a guess based upon your Mac reference.

If this is in reference to my system I mainly used external DACs (Emotiva, Meridian, etc) in a PC Windows environment but did try them in the Mac world as well.

My opinion is that anyone using an external DAC with any computer should use digital out not USB.

Problem with Mac and PC connections, especially when they are connected USB is too much auto-magic. When it doesn't work the way you want it gets very interesting to debug.

I agree with USNRET, use a toslink or s/pdif connection. No messing with all this USB stuff. Select the digital connection (as in my picture, one digital is hdmi, other toslink) and you are going. Additionally as I stated earlier, the use of USB with other stuff on the computer causes the interrupts, or so it seems to have a significant amount of latency. Using the toslink or s/pdif, connection in my system, it does not exhibit these jerky moments when using an external USB drive and keyboard on the USB ports.

On my i7-3770 Window's system I use it for CD's, DVD's, internet, digital files, Blu-Ray and Karaoke. Beats having all the other devices piled up on each other. Additionally it seems to be no drop in sound quality with a 5000% increase in flexibility.

Edit: By the way, I only plugged in the USB connector to show in the picture. I too use optical.to the dac

Edited by pzannucci

10-4. if you like the emo stuff, as time goes on and resell asking prices lower, keep an eye out for the emo dc-1. its a nice unit.

Actually my on-board DACS lose nothing to the outboard DACs I have tried so I am not interested in any of them. Been there, done that.

The whole point of my involvement in this was to help Don find out if his DAC / PC was incompatible. I had no other motives.

Didnt mean to start any "thread crap" I was just making what I thought was an innocent observation.

Didnt mean to start any "thread crap" I was just making what I thought was an innocent observation.

i was talking about my crapping

Edited by USNRET

I use usb out to my dac but only because that is the cable I had, I do agree it is cumbersome in that the cord routes right in front of my dvdrw drive. and when I want to use my external drives

The sound is good on my setup using usb, now I am wandering if there is a sound improvement using toslink or spdif, my dac has all 3 hook ups

when you use toslink or spdif does that basically bypass the soundcard as well ?? I assume you would have to go into setup and switch settings as well

We should get this problem worked out when we work on your horns. Based on the discussion here, I think it is a Windows configuration issue. Sounds like the 'device' the stream is being sent to is not the DAC.....likely your audio card.