Heresy / Heresy II Bass Response Specs?

stevensctt

I have a pair of Heresy (1979) and very pleased with them. Locally, a pair of Heresy II (1988) became available and I am considering picking them up.

I looked at the specs for the Heresy and Heresy II (from the Klipsch site) and saw the following regarding Frequency Response:

Heresy 50Hz - 17kHz (+ -) 5dB

Heresy II 63Hz - 20kHz (+ -) 3dB

Are these correct? Does the Heresy actually have deeper bass as the specs suggest?

Frequency response for the Heresy III is listed as 58Hz - 20kHz (+ -) 3dB. In the Heresy line-up, the Heresy has the deepest bass, followed by the II then III?

Edited by stevensctt

None of the Heresy's really have significant bass. I wouldn't base a purchase determined on which one specs the lowest.

Thanks for the reply. I'm likely to buy the Heresy IIs without consideration of the specs. I'm surprised that the published specs list the Heresy at 13Hz lower than the IIs.

Heresy 50Hz - 17kHz (+ -) 5dB Heresy II 63Hz - 20kHz (+ -) 3dB

You're not comparing apples to apples anyways. Look at the +- number.

Thanks for pointing that out. I recognized the +/- number but did not give it any significance. I'll do some research to determine what the +/- number means.

It means that the speakers response is flat + or - x amount of dB. To compare, you'd want those numbers the same. The Heresy 50 Hz may only be 55 Hz if the spec was + - 3dB like the HII. You'd really need to compare frequency graphs.

• Like 1

Spent some time with the Heresy II last night. Although I did not directly compare to the Heresy, I would say they are nearly the same - both very good. Bass response for the Heresy II are at least the equivalent of the Heresy. I have the Heresys on 14 gauge sand filled square tubing stands (THESE> standard). Really well made stands that place the Heresys at the ideal height with right amount of rake (tilt). Placed this way, I find the bass response to be more than adequate. In fact, I think the bass response of the Heresy is better than the specs suggest (good reason to quit reading) and play deeper than many other speakers claiming lower frequency responses.

Spent some time with the Heresy II last night. Although I did not directly compare to the Heresy, I would say they are nearly the same - both very good. Bass response for the Heresy II are at least the equivalent of the Heresy. I have the Heresys on 14 gauge sand filled square tubing stands (THESE> standard). Really well made stands that place the Heresys at the ideal height with right amount of rake (tilt). Placed this way, I find the bass response to be more than adequate. In fact, I think the bass response of the Heresy is better than the specs suggest (good reason to quit reading) and play deeper than many other speakers claiming lower frequency responses.

Did you find the II's to have more bass especially upper bass/ lower midrange? Seems fuller to me in room than the older h-700's I been testing. I think the h700's have incredible open highs though which really make it hard for me to decide which I like better. I could ramble on for hours about the two not gonna I been going nuts trying to figure out which I like better.

Did you find the II's to have more bass especially upper bass/ lower midrange? Seems fuller to me in room than the older h-700's I been testing. I think the h700's have incredible open highs though which really make it hard for me to decide which I like better. I could ramble on for hours about the two not gonna I been going nuts trying to figure out which I like better.

I would need to have the two side by side to make that call. I may get around to that this weekend. I may be inclined to say the IIs have an overall "fuller" presentation.

I would need to have the two side by side to make that call. I may get around to that this weekend. I may be inclined to say the IIs have an overall "fuller" presentation.

Fuller is a better word for it. Seems that way for me too. Digging the highs though on the oldies. Plus the cabs being different that will effect bass differently. Wood vs. mdf backs. Both have benefits for different situations.

My preference is for the HII, as I feel it has a better tonal balance, so that the bass seems more full. If I had a pair of originals, I would do the crossover mod Heresy to tame the mids.

Bruce

• 8 years later...

I really can't explain this. And do not believe in breaking in loudspeakers. But when I first got a pair of Herecys that had only been played very softly for 30 years or more they did not go much below 75 Hz. And I initially used them with a sub, so they got nothing below 120 or so with me for another 5 years. 

BUT, and I know this sounds odd, after they started playing a lot of bass heavy pop music for my teenage sons as standalone full range speakers, I retested them. 

Much to my shock that seemed solid down to 50. And even 40 or below was pretty good. Perhaps the Herecys benefit from being played hard with lots of bass and can stiffen up in some way otherwise.

Or perhap this is unique to my pair which I bought used with some water damage to the cabinets. Not much. And none visible inside or out on the drivers which always played mids and highs with spectacular clarity. But after a few months of abuse from teenage boys, they actually sound much more balanced and even beefy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1