Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

• Moderators

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to hear Jeff Hoak's LaScalas and they were beautiful sounding speakers. I had the chance to pick up a pair recently and had TOTALLY forgot how large they were. LOL. These have an absolutely beautiful finish. Other than a few small nicks near the bottom of the cabinets, they are in amazing condition for a 34 year old speaker. Everything looks original and they have AA Crossovers. Serial Numbers are Sequential. Based on the serial number, they are Vintage 1980. There weren't any stickers on the back so I'm not sure of the style these (not even sure what different variety LaScalas came in. I have no idea what finish these are in or if they were stained at one time. Feel free to help educate me on these because I know little to nothing about them.

I've been listening to a variety of source material. Youtube and streaming and Airplay from my cell phone sound like garbage on them. Haha. I think it's because they are just very revealing? Once I hooked up Dave Matthews, Eagles and a few other concert DVD's, they sounded very nice.

I've always heard guys speak of how the 3-way heritage speakers have better midrange. I've owned Forte II and Chorus II and I thought those were "heritage" but later found out they weren't part of the heritage series. I never felt they blew away my RF-83's in the midrange department. The LaScalas definitely have a better midrange though. That midrange horn is HUGE! The throat on the horn is 2ft deep. It's very smooth and vocals sound amazingly natural.

Bass from the LaScalas in my HT is extremely weak. I even turned the crossover for my mains to Full and they were still weak. I've always heard guys say that about the LaScalas and there are a few that "claim" the LaScalas have plenty of bass. Sorry, that's just not the case in my room. Over the next week, I want to move them into my living room (wife has to leave for a few hours to do that). I want to see how bass sounds with hardwood floor and how they sound in a very open floorplan layout. No worries as long as you have a capable sub. My RSW-15 provided plenty of low end to allow the LaScalas to really shine.

Movies sounded amazingly clear and precise. Very detailed.

My next step is to do some A/B comparison between the LaScalas and the RF-83's to see how they directly compare to each other. Because the LaScalas do not have banana plugs, I have a set of speaker cables hooked up to the RF-83's and a second set hooked up to the LaScalas and will have to change the cables on the back of the amp. It should be another fun comparison.

Here are some pics I took of them tonight.

Klipsch-LaScala-3.jpg

Klipsch-LaScala-2.jpg

Klipsch-LaScala-4.jpg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Thanks guys. Too bad my room wasn't just a few feet wider as the LaScalas prevent me from opening the bottom left and bottom right cabinet doors. They are pretty massive speakers and take up a lot of real estate.

Oh no, now you are going to be bragging like those Heritage guys, lol.

It's funny how when I first started the in the forums, how I would often say that to my eyes, that I did not care for the design of the "older" klipsch speakers because they look so "dated" and that I prefer the much more modern look of the Reference Series. While this is still somewhat true, my opinion has begun to change the closer I get to 40. LOL. I'm beginning to appreciate all Klipsch speakers, both current models as well as older generations.

• Like 4

• Moderators

LaScalas and a sub and you will want to kick those skinny supermodel looking things to the curb. :o:D

Just kidding, kind of, now consider this, they sound amazing outside as in playing to a crowd of a say like, I don't know youth pastors kids or something. :P

• Like 3

• Moderators
LaScalas and a sub and you will want to kick those skinny supermodel looking things to the curb.

I could easily see how a pair of LaScalas up front with a Belle would be an amazing front soundstage for HT.

• Like 2

pair of LaScalas up front with a Belle would be an amazing front soundstage for HT.

Nope, gotta be all southern lady Belles! Now really, what's your impression RF v Heritage. Big difference and taste and then there's HT v music.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

For HT I honestly don't think that anything beats (3) LaScalas (or Belles) across the front. Seriously there can't be a better center channel (and of course front L & R) but dialogue and front stage panning is simply stunning. I truly love the sound but have to make a choice for HT and due to space constraints have RF7/RC7 across the front w/ RF7 sides and RC7 rears to replace the LS Fronts/Cornwall sides/Heresy rears. I do love them for music but it's as if they were born to be theater speakers. If I can ever get off my butt and get the Heritage stuff sold I'll be changing it up but I think I'm secretly procrastinating.....

Edited by wstrickland1
  • Like 2

It's funny how when I first started the in the forums, how I would often say that to my eyes, that I did not care for the design of the "older" klipsch speakers because they look so "dated" and that I prefer the much more modern look of the Reference Series
i always said the same thing. and depending on what you had in your living room i would still say the same. but my cornwalls are a thing of beauty. super modern living room and i'd steer clear on any heritage stuff, but my current living room they will look fantastic in soon.
  • Like 1

Congrats on your La Scala purchase... From the pics they look like they are just the basic Birch plywood ones that were stained. I has some back around the time those were made and the birch cabinets had some real nice wild grain on them. I stained mine and they look great too. Fast forward 30+ years, and I went out and bought 3 more as I missed my old ones. I have went off the deep end on mine though and they will never be the same. I have cut the tops off and I am going with a biamp setup with JBL2360a horns, EV DH1A drivers and minidsps for crossovers. :)

Keep them the way they are and enjoy them! I think you might want to replace the caps though if they are original as they are pretty old. Other than that you are set for many more years!

• Moderators
I could easily see how a pair of LaScalas up front with a Belle would be an amazing front soundstage for HT.

I had a chance to hear roger (Indyklipschfan) all LaScala Ht with 2 THX subs, it was amazing, the best HT I have heard. We watched a movie and it was so clear and clean sounding you would jump when there was a gunshot or glass breaking it sounded so realistic.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's funny how when I first started the in the forums, how I would often say that to my eyes, that I did not care for the design of the "older" klipsch speakers because they look so "dated" and that I prefer the much more modern look of the Reference Series. While this is still somewhat true, my opinion has begun to change the closer I get to 40. LOL. I'm beginning to appreciate all Klipsch speakers, both current models as well as older generations.

The Ht I was talking about was designed much like yours, you could not see any speakers, the front 3 were behind something very similar to what you have.

Being hidden he used split LaScalas, you could not see anything. I am sure Indy would not mind me showing a pic of his room so here it is. not a good pic but just to give you an idea

post-9700-0-96500000-1397788503_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• Moderators
pair of LaScalas up front with a Belle would be an amazing front soundstage for HT.

Nope, gotta be all southern lady Belles! Now really, what's your impression RF v Heritage. Big difference and taste and then there's HT v music.

Haven't done any direct A/B comparison yet. That's what I need to find out.

I truly love the sound but have to make a choice for HT and due to space constraints have RF7/RC7 across the front

I have a feeling, that will be the one aspect that will make it the hardest to decide. My room is only 13' x 19'. Would love to make my screen much larger.

From the pics they look like they are just the basic Birch plywood ones that were stained.

Thx Ron, I thought that I had read that most LaScalas were birch and I figured they had some sort of stain. I'm just not familiar with wood.

. I have went off the deep end on mine though and they will never be the same. I have cut the tops off

I was thinking earlier today that it seems like it's such a waste of space for the LaScalas to have this HUGE cabinet all for the sake of the woofer that doesn't have a lot of "woof" to it. The thought crossed my mind that if you cut the woofer off, placed the mid and horn section behind a false wall with some killer subs, you would have one sick setup and it wouldn't take up near as much space.

We watched a movie and it was so clear and clean sounding you would jump when there was a gunshot or glass breaking it sounded so realistic.

I've only watched a few scenes so far but what I heard, it was very clear, very detailed for sure. I need to watch the scene in the Dark Knight where they are standing by the window and the guy that is hung slams against the window. That makes me jump everytime because I forget it's coming.

• Like 1

Congratulations Michael! You have no idea what you have gotten yourself into. LOL I didn't either but am quickly learning. The ski slope you took a spill on was mild compared to the slope you have just stepped onto... :P

Great looking speakers.........enjoy!

• Moderators
The Ht I was talking about was designed much like yours, you could not see any speakers, the front 3 were behind something very similar to what you have.

I've considered something like that where you have the "False Wall" be mostly plywood and fabric. Only problem is I need the front wall to house the equipment so I would need to be able to access it with a "door" of some kind. Plus, I would want my screen to be almost the width of the room since I'm using a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

I would love to hear Indy's room. I bet it does sound absolutely fantastic!

• Like 1

• Moderators
Congratulations Michael! You have no idea what you have gotten yourself into. LOL I didn't either but am quickly learning.

So ship me one of your Belle's so I can try it as a center channel. :D

you took a spill on was mild compared to the slope you have just stepped onto... :P

Now that's funny. :lol:

• Like 1