Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

Google, "Klipsch Jim Hunter"

One of the things that will come up is the four part video that Jim did on museum, it's excellent. In one of those videos is a picture of PWK standing with some loudspeakers -- one which is clearly the Chorus.

If you guys want, I can shoot him an email and ask.

Yea Dean,

Shoot away, but I want a reason, not a simple yes or no answer! I want to know how they can be considered Heritage when they are not Pauls designs??

Roger

Oh yeah i have... They are to die for to say the least imo..to me better in so many ways than a khorn A+ infinity...

True heritage would be khorn belle lascala heresy, original versions only in my opinion. Then to cornwall and falling into a later category only held up by heritage are the other three with forte and chorus then to even the current production H3 and C3..

Take into consideration the current klipschorn nor cornwall are a far cry from what Paul had in mind at any point in time. Myself with the outstanding numbers of the chorus ii compared to the cornwall 3 in particular would stand strong for the fact that Paul would himself consider the 3/5 a heritage speaker. When the original Chorus was released there was so much excitement under Pauls roof/s and that was without doubt beginning at Pauls desk. Nobody was happy or excited to that level unless Paul himself was...Bless the man, Let alone the long growing legend!

• Like 1

Roger, what makes you think PWK didn't have any involvement with those loudspeaker. I know he gave the nod to the tractrix horns that Bruce Edgar brought to him. Those horns, or some very much like them, ended up in the Forte II and Chorus II (I was also told that Dr. Edgar wept when he was informed that they would be used). PWK also named those loudspeakers. I'm pretty sure that anything PK named, and had some involvement with -- are considered "Heritage".

I sent mail to both Hunter and Delgado. We will have to be satisfied with whatever they decide to contribute. If it's just a "yes" or a "no", I'm afraid we're going to have to live with that.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 2

Roger, what makes you think PWK didn't have any involvement with those loudspeaker. I know he gave the nod to the tractrix horns that Bruce Edgar brought to him. Those horns, or some very much like them, ended up in the Forte II and Chorus II (I was also told that Dr. Edgar wept when he was informed that they would be used). PWK also named those loudspeakers. I'm pretty sure that anything PK named, and had some involvement with -- are considered "Heritage".

I sent mail to both Hunter and Delgado. We will have to be satisfied with whatever they decide to contribute. If it's just a "yes" or a "no", I'm afraid we're going to have to live with that.

Great post Dean as all you do. Twistedcrankcammer you are also so killer and known throughout klipsch households with holding our torch and guiding it as well...Either way I do understand and have not met only read and discussed with others involved on these facts. I do find it to be a great addition to heritage both at least the beginning and development of the tractrix horn and to possibly ad yet a bit more to the actual Legend In Sound to what has become now some 25 years later. Cheers :emotion-21:

• Like 1

If he named them, he is the DADDY. Now, as the whether they are Heritage, or not is neither here, nor there; they are ALL Klipsch.

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 4

Dean,

If you watch Kevin Harmons DVDs on his visits to hope, it was discussed who designed the Chorus, Forte, and Quartet and it wasn't Paul. Sure he had to put his stamp of approval on them, but they are not his designs. Regaurdless of my personal feelings, I am at work 7PM to 7 AM so I was not able to reply before now. I am still interested in Hunters reply as to Why they are Heritage if PWK did not design them, but may have to eat crow on this one because Roy already told Kevin Harmon yesterday afternoon that he would consider them Heritage as well as the Jubilees, so there you go Richard, you were right!

Could someone please pass the salt, this crow tastes awful!!

Roger

More this morning

"My long answer for forte chorus and quartet being a part of heritage is that those speakers were offshoots of the kg line. Kg stands for klipsch gillum. Paul helped me with the horns in the forte chorus and quartet." -- Roy Delgado

"I would agree with Roy. The first products not designed by PWK were the Kg2 and Kg4. These were clearly entry level products “below” the Heresy. The Forte, Chorus, and even Quartet were designed as “part of the family” with PWK’s current five designs (Heresy, Cornwall, LaScala, Belle, and K-horn). PWK was still actively involved in design engineering, and lent his advice and approval to these new models. -- Jim Hunter

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

More this morning

"My long answer for forte chorus and quartet being a part of heritage is that those speakers were offshoots of the kg line. Kg stands for klipsch gillum. Paul helped me with the horns in the forte chorus and quartet." -- Roy Delgado

"I would agree with Roy. The first products not designed by PWK were the Kg2 and Kg4. These were clearly entry level products “below” the Heresy. The Forte, Chorus, and even Quartet were designed as “part of the family” with PWK’s current five designs (Heresy, Cornwall, LaScala, Belle, and K-horn). PWK was still actively involved in design engineering, and lent his advice and approval to these new models. -- Jim Hunter

"even the Quartet" . . . very interesting and clarifying. So then, everything before the KG2 and KG4 are Heritage, and of course II and III versions of all pre-KGs are Heritage too.

As a relative novice, I always wondered what the "truth" was . . . thanks all for bouncing the subject around getting the info and posting it, especially for us new to The Heritage line.

• Like 1

Guess I'm just so used to my mains being able to dig a lot deeper.

Take one RF, hook it up the left channel. Take one La Scala, hook it up to the right channel. Play a 30 Hz test tone through the amp loud enough that you can clearly hear the tone (if not feel it). Then pan the balance from left to right.

You'll hear that the La Scala is just about as sensitive as the RF down there.

Whereas the RF is padded relatively flat, the La Scala runs un-corked for all intents.

IOW, you can de-rate a La Scala down to RF performance levels by EQ'ing the bottom end to match the top end. You'll end up with a La Scala that can dig just as deep as the RF by ear....if that's going to be the sole basis for comparison.

The true power of the La Scala is unleashed when you high pass it near the bass bin's cutoff frequency and use a horn subwoofer as part of a 4-way. Doing that will net extremely "realistic" levels of output.

..and by "realistic", I mean "Shuttle launch pad" realistic. ;)

• Like 2

If you take the midrange down just a little, you get a very well balanced sound with roughly half the distortion of any of your Reference boxes.
I was going to point this out if no one else had. Between doing that and switching to a constant impedance network, the tonal balance on mine seems really good and plenty of bass for me. Then again, I don't use them at all for HT.

Michael, if you get the crossovers redone and drop the mids down a little, when you crank them up your ears won't bleed and you will notice some bass.

Also, my LS are going up for sale. I'll get something in the garage sale section in a little while.

Bruce

Pride, ego. I'm guilty of it too. No one likes having their opinions contradicted or put under the microscope. There is also the problem of lack of body language and many times things just don't translate well with the keyboard - and so it leads to misunderstandings.

Something else I've noticed is how many simply can't deal with being challenged. IOWs, as they say, they like to dish it out but they can't take it. When they find out they can't get away with personal attacks and/or derogatory statements, they leave. This forum used to be inhabited by older adults, most who were fairly technical and level headed, though admittedly not always. There isn't near the participation there used to be - sometimes I notice there's only three people browsing a section of the forum.

• Like 3

Snarkiness abounds. Sometimes I will stop reading an otherwise good thread just because I don't want to filter through the kr@p. Nothing wrong with good natured debate... just seems like it gets personal fast. One thing I liked about this forum in the past was the lack of tolerance for bad behavior... or sometimes the bad behavior was agreed upon by the people posting which can also be a fun digression.

I don't understand all this contensious behavor lately on the boards...

This is nothing like another forum I am on.... I see over 3000 posts in 6 weeks arguing back and forth over a little item. I was shocked, as it is like a war zone if you go to the thread.

This is nothing like another forum I am on.... I see over 3000 posts in 6 weeks arguing back and forth over a little item. I was shocked, as it is like a war zone if you go to the thread.

Ditto. This forum seems to be all still held up by facts and the elders who some unfortunately no longer participate.

Facts are facts and I am a bit younger than even Dean...that said altogether that facts of klipsch need to be established and kept for those much younger than even myself.

Klipsch will never go to a grave. Even if shut down(hypothetically speaking of course) it would remain Legend, actually off the charts at that point. And must be carried on to younger generations if people do not appreciate a simple debate or not.

Well i do. We are truly better than what governments have become at this time of the revo/evolution of our earth.

Klipsch forum debate if you view it as harsh or mild are truly greater than any forum let alone political debate due to all of our high level for standard and the fact/s that have been endured to now be captured to share with those who carry the PWK torch onto into the unformidable future all so bless the hearts that have and will continue the klipsch advancement into eternity.

• Like 1

There is also the problem of lack of body language and many times things just don't translate well with the keyboard - and so it leads to misunderstandings.

I've run into this at work and many other places. Body language is very important.

I suppose that's why the smiley faces are available. Sometimes, though, I wish they had included PWK's original one, which had facial features, as well as the all important word (not just the euphemistic initials that we have on the forum or the fancy lettering on the second version of the button). The metal ones, as opposed to any virtual replicas, must be quite a collector's item by now. The facial features relieved some tension which nicely balanced the word. Years ago, a clerk at The Good Guys told me PWK came in once, and noticed Klipschorns placed on either side of a JBL Paragon. The clerk told him the Khorn had too much midrange, and that he had to pad it down. PWK bent down close to him and flashed him the button. Now, that's body language.

Edited by Garyrc

Hey All,

I was wrong! I still think my reasoning was sound, but in the end I am not the final word and my opinion is wrong.

I ate crow and it tasted awful but I will live. I never thought less of Dean for his opinion, nor anyone else.

I have a big ego, yes, but I am more passionate about what PWK did for all of us.

My first pair of Klipsh I owned were Quartets that were bought new because the Dealer didn't want to get in a set of La Scalas or Heresies, and I loved those speakers. My sister still owns them to this day.

I think this thread NAILED DOWN some pertinent facts of useful knowledge about Chorus, Forte', and Quartet.

Their will always be disagreements on the forum, but thinking that this thread is full of personal attacks is just plain overthinking the situation and incorrect!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer