Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

Things are moving way too fast....I was talking with an acquaintance today about me trying to decide if I prefer the RF-83's or the LaScalas and within a few minutes, he's offering to bring me cash tomorrow morning for my RF-83's. He even sent me a text showing the cash LOL.

I haven't made a definite decision yet because I haven't had much time to A/B them other than this morning for 30 minutes. I have a feeling I am leaning towards the LaScalas because of their clarity but that means if I choose them, I will almost be forced into making plans to redesign the false wall as they will not fit behind the false wall unless they face straight ahead with no toe in (wouldn't expect them to sound good like that).

Then there is the issue of finding a single LaScala for a center channel at a good price. That might take years???

Tough decisions ahead of me.....

Hey Youth!

I know where there is a single La Scala sitting in Texas that could probably be picked up in person for $100. Maybe if you come to Hope next April you could make a side trip??

Rog

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

Not trying to talk you ink getting rid of the 83s but, as much ad I lived them I find my thx kl650s much much more detailed than the 83s. The thx speakers aren't bright whatsoever though and I find them very neutral I'd deeply consider 3 lascalas if you are getting that much more detail. I know I loved my 83s but I wouldn't swap back and like my more detailed speakers as well. You could always grab the 3rd lascala from billy if need be.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm with you Michael. As much as I've always loved the sound of the 83's, I'm seeing they aren't as bright and because of that, they aren't as detailed as some of the other Klipsch speakers. Don't get me wrong, I think the 83's sound beautiful. VERY smooth, very sultry type of sound. Can listen to them for hours on end without ever having ear fatigue. But I'm wondering now if my ears actually prefer the brighter sound.

Rog, Reference Head and Arky, you guys are like crack dealers. The peer pressure here is intense. :lol:

I honestly would LOVE to move to a larger AT screen similar to what Wakejunkie designed with Spandex. His screen looks amazing! This would allow me to bring the center channel down where it is supposed to be. Currently, it's close to 8ft off the ground and angled downwards. That's very high for a center channel and although it is surprisingly good at anchoring the dialog to the screen, there are times where you notice the sound isn't coming directly from the screen.

Michael, let me know through FB or PM if you work something out from Billy and how much you would need for a single LaScala. But let me know BEFORE you buy all 3 as I don't want to make any committment yet. Still have some decisions to make.

If I do keep the LaScalas, I definitely will need to look into redoing my front wall. This would be fun, but honestly, I would definitely want wakejunkie here to help with the construction of it. Might could pay his plane ticket to fly down for a weekend to work on it in exchange for some great fellowship and some free labor. :D

• Like 1

you guys are like crack dealers

How about we start taking more of a political bully approach. We are going to start twisting you arm as you know if you don't move to the dark side of the Heritage line up, your not a true member of this forum. ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Take your time, no rush really, you never thought you would be sitting with a pair of LaScalas to start with or considering switching, and you have a lot of planning if you do go that route, but that's part of the fun.

Where is that thread of you building your present room, this way we could see what make up your false wall, it may only be slight changes to give you a little room to angle the L R slightly ?

I have never heard the RF 83's, but have heard 3 LaScalas for the front, and it's pretty unbelievable how realistic it sounded.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You are correct dtel. After thinking about it this morning, I told the potential buyer I wanted to take some time to do some A/B comparison and to think on it some more before I even consider selling the 83's. I'm in a good position because I don't need to sell either but really have no "need" to keep both.

I want to even do some A/B comparison between the RF-83 and the DeanG RF-7ii. "If" I prefer the LaScalas over the 83's and "If" I prefer the DeanG RF7ii, then the obvious choice would be to sell the 83's.

I may find I don't want to sell the 83's. I even have the option of selling my son's RF-7's and moving either the RF-83 or RF-7ii into his bedroom. Lots of options...none of which would be a "bad" decision.

My build thread is in my signature. Here are the first pics of the cabinet as it was being built.

Youth like you my taste in speakers in general for looks has always been in the newer style like the Reference line. I think the RF-7 ll's in your living room are an excellent choice and I personally would never even consider replacing them with LaScalas just not my particular taste.

That said in your theater room I think the LaScalas would be a great choice and three of them as Left, Center, Right would really be a great setup both sounding and looking great in the theater room. I think that the 3 LaScalas would be better than the RF-83 / RC-64 combo.

If you decide to switch to the LaScalas as my personal taste I'd also prefer to see them out front to be both seen and heard at their best, not confined and hidden in a false wall.

• Like 1

One of my biggest concerns with your front wall is how deep is it, and how far away is from your front row. We may not have much wiggle room, but if your false wall is deep enough it might not be a problem. I would just hate your to reconstruct and find out your front row is now to close to the speakers and scree.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

Shipping may not be too bad, if... The seller is willing to deliver it to the Freight Company, and you are willing to go to the local Freight Company and pick it up. I paid AIR $175 for 2 Danley DTS-10 subs to be delivered from Arizona to Northern California. :).