Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

with music all i can say is my belle rf7ii comparison lasted an hour if that. for theater with rc64ii center with both rf7ii and belle comparison it was interesting. the belle setup with rc64ii cleaned house very fast. at that point i simply was drawn to heritage for both music and theater. the heresy to me is superb as center as well as surround duty. i prefer newer pro heresy ported design to the 3, heresy, ii or 3 although all heresy in upstanding working condition work extremely well.

thats what im limited to on personal use with what i find to be true. i have not used much larger mcm jubilee or other pro gear. i just know for a fact that the sweet heritage sound(or heritage based, heresy in particular)with good networks,drivers and proper enclosure are very tough on any comparison with klipsch reference.

I also will add the rf83 in my opinion for both music and theater provide greater performance than the rf7&rf7ii in stock form with use of a subwoofer.

beeker,

I had Klipschorns and La Scalas for my system, then

Then I bought two Tscms which are the Pro Version of the Klipschorn. Now I own 7 TSCMs and I never looked back. If you ever have a chance to listen to Jubilees, they sound even better, and the K 402, K 69 sounds even better atop a pair of MWM bins like Eldon has. That is why I am giving one of the 9 MWM bins I owned to Kevin Harmon, for center channel Duty between his Jubilees and KPT-684s.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Now you've gone and done it. Welcome to the place of no return!!!

Before you pass final judgement, make sure the crossovers are up to date. When I replaced mine, it was like removing the sheet that was over them.

I don't recall anyone going from Heritage to Reference!

• Like 1

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to hear Jeff Hoak's LaScalas and they were beautiful sounding speakers. I had the chance to pick up a pair recently and had TOTALLY forgot how large they were. LOL. These have an absolutely beautiful finish. Other than a few small nicks near the bottom of the cabinets, they are in amazing condition for a 34 year old speaker. Everything looks original and they have AA Crossovers. Serial Numbers are Sequential. Based on the serial number, they are Vintage 1980. There weren't any stickers on the back so I'm not sure of the style these (not even sure what different variety LaScalas came in. I have no idea what finish these are in or if they were stained at one time. Feel free to help educate me on these because I know little to nothing about them.

I've been listening to a variety of source material. Youtube and streaming and Airplay from my cell phone sound like garbage on them. Haha. I think it's because they are just very revealing? Once I hooked up Dave Matthews, Eagles and a few other concert DVD's, they sounded very nice.

I've always heard guys speak of how the 3-way heritage speakers have better midrange. I've owned Forte II and Chorus II and I thought those were "heritage" but later found out they weren't part of the heritage series. I never felt they blew away my RF-83's in the midrange department. The LaScalas definitely have a better midrange though. That midrange horn is HUGE! The throat on the horn is 2ft deep. It's very smooth and vocals sound amazingly natural.

Bass from the LaScalas in my HT is extremely weak. I even turned the crossover for my mains to Full and they were still weak. I've always heard guys say that about the LaScalas and there are a few that "claim" the LaScalas have plenty of bass. Sorry, that's just not the case in my room. Over the next week, I want to move them into my living room (wife has to leave for a few hours to do that). I want to see how bass sounds with hardwood floor and how they sound in a very open floorplan layout. No worries as long as you have a capable sub. My RSW-15 provided plenty of low end to allow the LaScalas to really shine.

Movies sounded amazingly clear and precise. Very detailed.

My next step is to do some A/B comparison between the LaScalas and the RF-83's to see how they directly compare to each other. Because the LaScalas do not have banana plugs, I have a set of speaker cables hooked up to the RF-83's and a second set hooked up to the LaScalas and will have to change the cables on the back of the amp. It should be another fun comparison.

Here are some pics I took of them tonight.

Klipsch-LaScalas-3.jpg

Klipsch-LaScalas-2.jpg

Klipsch-LaScalas-4.jpg

im going to be honest her and I hope I don't get to much backlash but ad beautiful as those lascalas are ad believe mei think they are stunning next to tr 83s I think the 83s look hat much better. The 83s look freaking beautiful here and your a lucky fella to have both side by wide my wife won't allow any lascalas or khorns in our living room so my rf7iis will remain. Beautiful pics mate that last one is awesome!

When I walk into a room or see a picture of one, the "Techie" blood runs thick in me, the first thing im always drawn to is the "Anti Bounce" sound panels, once I spot panels, I already know whatever speakers are in that room WILL be kick Azz, once you go anti bounce your spoiled, that alone impresses me more than anything else. all of us have speakers, few have "Tuned" the room. Well Done.

• Like 1

When I walk into a room or see a picture of one, the "Techie" blood runs thick in me, the first thing im always drawn to is the "Anti Bounce" sound panels, once I spot panels, I already know whatever speakers are in that room WILL be kick Azz, once you go anti bounce your spoiled, that alone impresses me more than anything else. all of us have speakers, few have "Tuned" the room. Well Done.

100% agree

• Moderators

Thanks Michael and Mark. I honestly used to think that acoustic panels were snake oil. I could not understand how panels on a wall would make a room sound better. I began to research because one day I clapped in my room and there was a boingoingoingoing sound that was very long. Then someone explained that's exactly what is happening when I play my Klipsch. Music and vocals are bouncing around the room and each bounce is hitting your ears at different times thus causing delay and the sound to be "muddy". If the same sound hits your ears at even slightly different times, your brain somewhat gets confused and the sound is not as "clear" or "intelligible". That made sense to my simple brain and so I have since added acoustic panels and bass traps to my room. With bass traps, I again thought who would ever want to stop bass from happening. I love bass! LOL Then it was explained that when the reflected bass sounds collide, you can get a boost (exaggerated and bloated sounding bass) or you can get a null (little to no bass). I knew I didn't want either of those options but wanted to hear the bass for what it was.

I just got off the phone with wakejunkie and he explained the cables I need to use with REW Software. It will be nice to be able to see plots of my room to see actually what is happening and where I can improve. For all I know, my room may be too quiet and I need less panels. The bass traps I have may not be doing anything. Only way to tell is with software so that will be for another thread.

im going to be honest here and I hope I don't get to much backlash but as beautiful as those lascalas are and believe me i think they are stunning next to the 83s I think the 83s look hat much better. The 83s look freaking beautiful here and your a lucky fella to have both side by side

Sorry, the OCD in me had to spell check your quote above haha. You won't get any backlash from me....I still think the 83's are gorgeous as well as my RF-7ii's. The modern style of the Reference Series definitely suits my visual appeal better than the older style speakers. With that said, I may be building another false wall in the future so regardless of what I have, they may not be seen much anyways.

The wheels are definitely starting to turn in my head. What if I like the LaScalas better? Will I sell my first Flagship Reference Speakers? Will I decide to keep both and maybe put them on a form of A/B Selector so I could switch between the Reference and Heritage Speakers?

Out of ALL of the MANY Klipsch speakers I have owned over the past several years, the 83's have always remained. I'm not sure they will ever leave but my goal right now is to have the best sound I can in the HT. If it is apparent that the LaScalas are the better of the two, I won't hesitate to use the LaScalas for the main speakers.

Man, this gets more and more fun everyday!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Too bad my room wasn't just a few feet wider as the LaScalas prevent me from opening the bottom left and bottom right cabinet doors. They are pretty massive speakers and take up a lot of real estate.

Oh no, now you are going to be bragging like those Heritage guys, lol.

It's funny how when I first started the in the forums, how I would often say that to my eyes, that I did not care for the design of the "older" klipsch speakers because they look so "dated" and that I prefer the much more modern look of the Reference Series. While this is still somewhat true, my opinion has begun to change the closer I get to 40. LOL. I'm beginning to appreciate all Klipsch speakers, both current models as well as older generations.
"Somewhat true," Youthman? ;-). Little more than 24 hours after your first post, I think you are now over the slope! Just like so many of us!

Bought my first set of raw birch La Scalas two years ago for a song, replaced a blown tweeter on one with an ebay vintage tweeter, recapped them (with a Crites kit) and was blown away. 16 months later, was listening in the 11 channels of Heritage in the HT! And have La Scalas and Belle front int the wife's home office too.

I had a great 7.1 Reference setup in the HT when I bought those first La Scalas not knowing what I was doing. But the end result (no more Reference speakers in the house, though I loved them) . . . two Heritage setups now and all Heritage HT. I walk in the room and smile big before I turn on the first amp.

Now, a technical point. If your La Scalas still have the original caps in them, no matter how much you turn them up, you probably still have not heard them yet. I replaced the broken tweeter and hooked mine up. liked them enough, but kept looking at those old caps. A couple of weeks of that, I bought from Bob one of his crossover recap kits for my AA crossovers, learned to solder, recapped them . . . and . . . BAM!!!! I was blown away!

The bass even then was light to me because they only go down to 53hz by design. For some, that is sufficient for their desires, but I like a lot of thump, so a sub simply made it happen just fine and transparently . . . The clarity is amazing.

From looking at your pics, from the factory, your LS were probably raw birch and then later walnut stained by one of the previous owners--who looks to have done an outstanding job of it.

Either a Belle or another La Scala would make a great center. I run a Belle between K-horns in one setup and a Belle between La Scalas in another. To me, the Belle is still the most beautiful speaker Kilpsch ever stopped making.

In any case, pony up the few dollars for a cap kit from Bob. He has a walk through on how to replace them on his website. It was my first solder job, which I am sure you already know how to do. It will bring those puppies back into spec and wake them up. IMHO no need to A/B them with the 83s until you recap the LS with new . . . not going to be a fair comparison with the 83s if the La Scala caps are old and out of spec.

Can you take a pic of the LS HF section so we can see the caps on your crossover? Maybe a previous owner already recapped them.

Congrats and welcome to the Heritage slippery slope!

And you thought you were pretty well done after that major score will all those high end Reference speakers you recently bought all at one time! ;-)

Billy

Edited by Rhetor

I can't see one reason to "compare" the la scala in your set up to the RF83's in your set up... not one.

Other than perhaps Morbid curiosity.

congrates on your new setup

I think we all have that one set of speakers that we love and that all other speakers are compared to, even "technically" spec'd better ones. From reading, I won't speak for Youth, but it seems that may be the 83s he says he will probably never sell.

and now he is down the rabbit hole.........

Where does the hole lead to I want to know....

Youth,

It leads to the Pro Line!!! :ph34r:

Rog

NO DON'T DO IT YOUTHMAN somebody get him away from there quick it's bad for him, he's a nice guy and all spare him. :unsure2:

The Pro Line Speakers are BLACK!! Come to the DARK side Youth, Come to the DARK side Youth!!!

Rog

• Like 2

Well Mikey, if you are thinking of building a new false wall I would presume you will be putting in a larger screen. I know that has been a though on the mind for a long time and I think eventually this will be happening. You wouldn’t believe how adding a few inches diagonally adds that much more to the picture. I went from a 115” to a 132” the smile gets wider each time. started with a 27” RCA, to a 32” phillips, to a 50” Samsung plasma, to a 60” pioneer elite kuro, to a 70” Elite LED, to a 115” elite 2.35:1 and resting on a 132” Stewart Filmscreen 2.35.1 If you build that false wall larger or deeper to encompass 3 LaScalas or 2 LaScalas and a Belle I don’t think I’d keep the 83’s but that is just me. id probably sell the 83s and get the surrounds to be something different maybe KPTs or Hersey’s etc. I love the look of the Heritage line and would have got Khorns instead of RF-7iis but the wife wouldn’t be happy with those big brutes and in your situation with a false wall etc. you could have a fantastic heritage HT. That being said I probably won’t go the heritage route in my future. The next house will have an even larger theater room with a much much larger screen and I’ll be going with the ProCinema line for sure but that is a couple years off. Before you dive into getting another Lascala or Belle maybe an audition of some of the ProCinema gear would be neat and with a deeper false wall you could put some serious toys behind it! Either way the photos are beautiful and the room looks stunning as usual with those beauties in there. P.S. I’m OCD as well which im sure you could tell.

Youth congrats on the new speakers, it was driving me nuts with all those deals on Heritage gear you were passing up. :D . Looks like its time to reconstruct that front wall shove 3 Lascalas up there with AT screen you can stash your gear in between each speaker.

I was thinking earlier today that it seems like it's such a waste of space for the LaScalas to have this HUGE cabinet all for the sake of the woofer that doesn't have a lot of "woof" to it. The thought crossed my mind that if you cut the woofer off, placed the mid and horn section behind a false wall with some killer subs, you would have one sick setup and it wouldn't take up near as much space.

Time to look at a variation of a Cornscala.

• Moderators
Now, a technical point. If your La Scalas still have the original caps in them, no matter how much you turn them up, you probably still have not heard them yet.

Yes, I've already considered that. I hear a difference in the stock xovers in my RF-7ii's and the DeanG crossovers but I'm sure it would be a MUCH bigger difference upgrading a 34 year old crossover vs a practically brand new pair of xovers.

It was my first solder job, which I am sure you already know how to do.

You must have me mistaken with another youthman that actually has handiman skills. :lol: I've never even used a Hot Glue gun much less a Soldering Gun.

From looking at your pics, from the factory, your LS were probably raw birch and then later walnut stained by one of the previous owners--who looks to have done an outstanding job of it.

Yes, the finish on these are beautiful.

IMHO no need to A/B them with the 83s until you recap the LS with new . . . not going to be a fair comparison with the 83s if the La Scala caps are old and out of spec.

Sure it is. Anytime you can play (even if it's unfair) is still fun play time. Haha

And you thought you were pretty well done after that major score will all those high end Reference speakers you recently bought all at one time! ;-)

I think after every pair I buy I say I'm done. I think I just really enjoy hearing in my own room, with my own ears with my own equipment and my own room acoustics the various models that Klipsch has to offer. Sometimes I think that I'm a Klipsch Hoarder but in reality, I don't keep the majority of what I buy. I buy it, play with it, then move onto a new toy. The LaScalas have been on my Bucket List of speakers to own for awhile and when the opportunity came available, I said what the heck. My wife still thinks I'm crazy for buying those "big ugly speakers".

• Moderators

I forgot to share this......true story. I pick up the LaScalas and then pick up my daughter and my neighbor's kid after school. I drive an Expedition so I had the rear seat folded down and 2/3 of the middle seat folded down. No big deal right? Daughter can sit up front, neighbor's kid can sit in the single seat in the middle row. My daughter forgot to tell me that two of her friends were riding home with us. Needless to say, there were 3 teenagers in a single seat sitting next to the LaScalas.

Here is the funny conversation that took place after they loaded into the car.

Daughter: Dad, what are those?

Me: You tell me?

Daughter: Oh you bought furniture for Naomi's room.

Me: Not exactly.

Daughter: It's a POPCORN Machine!!!

Me: (Chuckles) Nope, not a popcorn machine.

Neighbors Kid: It's a Podium

Me: (Dying laughing) Definitely not a podium.

Daughter: (Looks at the speakers in bewilderment) What are these things?

Edited by Youthman

Now, a technical point. If your La Scalas still have the original caps in them, no matter how much you turn them up, you probably still have not heard them yet.

Yes, I've already considered that. I hear a difference in the stock xovers in my RF-7ii's and the DeanG crossovers but I'm sure it would be a MUCH bigger difference upgrading a 34 year old crossover vs a practically brand new pair of xovers.

It was my first solder job, which I am sure you already know how to do.

You must have me mistaken with another youthman that actually has handiman skills. :lol: I've never even used a Hot Glue gun much less a Soldering Gun.

Yes, the finish on these are beautiful.

IMHO no need to A/B them with the 83s until you recap the LS with new . . . not going to be a fair comparison with the 83s if the La Scala caps are old and out of spec.

Sure it is. Anytime you can play (even if it's unfair) is still fun play time. Haha

My wife still thinks I'm crazy for buying those "big ugly speakers".

I guess that rules out the living room. I bet they'd look great in there with all the wood you have. :)

• Moderators
I can't see one reason to "compare" the la scala in your set up to the RF83's in your set up... not one.

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here. Why wouldn't you want to compare the differences in the sound between a 34yr old speaker and a pretty current model speaker? I can't think of one good reason not to compare them. :D

They both will have their own signature sound. One will likely have better midrange while the other will have better bottom end. One will likely be more laid back while the other will be more up front, revealing. To me, that's the beauty of comparing. It's not so much to try and declare a winner, because frankly, I haven't found a Klipsch speaker that I didn't like the sound of. For me, there is a satisfaction of sharing photos, reviews, comparisons etc of various Klipsch speakers because there are many here that may not ever have the opportunity or the ability to have multiple setups in their home.

I forgot to share this......true story. I pick up the LaScalas and then pick up my daughter and my neighbor's kid after school. I drive an Expedition so I had the rear seat folded down and 2/3 of the middle seat folded down. No big deal right? Daughter can sit up front, neighbor's kid can sit in the single seat in the middle row. My daughter forgot to tell me that two of her friends were riding home with us. Needless to say, there were 3 teenagers in a single seat sitting next to the LaScalas.

Here is the funny conversation that took place after they loaded into the car.

Daughter: Dad, what are those?

Me: You tell me?

Daughter: Oh you bought furniture for Naomi's room.

Me: Not exactly.

Daughter: It's a POPCORN Machine!!!

Me: (Chuckles) Nope, not a popcorn machine.

Neighbors Kid: It's a Podium

Me: (Dying laughing) Definitely not a podium.

Daughter: (Looks at the speakers in bewilderment) What are these things?

Now, that is hilarious!

BTW . . . I would not send the AAs anywhere to get totally rebuilt, I would only recap them since they are working . . . I think you have enough forum friends nearby that you could get one to do the soldering for you once you have parts, Bro.

The first time I did a recap, never soldered before. It took me 90 minutes to recap that first pair of La Scala crossovers. I was working as slow, careful, methodical and focused as a centenarian on a bed pan in a nursing home! But everything came out just fine . . . for both of us.

;-)