Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

This is definitely one of the more respectable forums out there and my favorite. I use other forums as well for information on different equipment etc but this one even through it's bad times seems more like a small family. We fight and argue but ultimately circle back to whats important and help each other learn. I don't think this was a bad thread at all and ended well.

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch
  • Like 1

Hey All,

I was wrong! I still think my reasoning was sound, but in the end I am not the final word and my opinion is wrong.

I ate crow and it tasted awful but I will live. I never thought less of Dean for his opinion, nor anyone else.

I have a big ego, yes, but I am more passionate about what PWK did for all of us.

My first pair of Klipsh I owned were Quartets that were bought new because the Dealer didn't want to get in a set of La Scalas or Heresies, and I loved those speakers. My sister still owns them to this day.

I think this thread NAILED DOWN some pertinent facts of useful knowledge about Chorus, Forte', and Quartet.

Their will always be disagreements on the forum, but thinking that this thread is full of personal attacks is just plain overthinking the situation and incorrect!

Roger

Whoops! Sorry Roger! I was just speaking in general terms after Dean's comments. I think you handled things just fine.

• Moderators

How bout them Scala's Youth? Got anymore listening time in with them? Scala's, and K-horns are on my bucket list as well, however I don't think that will happen till we move into our own place in a couple years. And congrats again on your purchase!

I had about 30 minutes before work this morning and decided to do some quick A/B Comparison using a scene from The Book of Eli where they destroy the house. I've always been impressed with the detail of this scene and was curious how the LaScalas compared.

From this first initial test, to my ears, the LaScalas were much brighter and more detailed than the 83's. Dialog also was more prominent. I did not use an SPL meter to make sure both A/B were at the same volume but probably will do that during my next test to try and make it as fair of a comparison as possible.

Honestly, I'm very impressed with the sound of the LaScalas. Did Youthman just say that out loud? I never would have thought I would have uttered those words.

I even did a very quick A/B using the 83's as mains and switching between a single LaScala for a center and the RC-64. Again, the LaScala seemed to be more pronounced and detailed than the RC-64. Again, not a totally fair comparison since the RC-64 is 8ft in the air angled downwards towards the listening area while the LaScala is on the floor straight in front of me.

I'll likely have to bring the RC-64 down and place it on top of the LaScala to get a more fair comparison as well as level match them.

• Like 1

How bout them Scala's Youth? Got anymore listening time in with them? Scala's, and K-horns are on my bucket list as well, however I don't think that will happen till we move into our own place in a couple years. And congrats again on your purchase!

I had about 30 minutes before work this morning and decided to do some quick A/B Comparison using a scene from The Book of Eli where they destroy the house. I've always been impressed with the detail of this scene and was curious how the LaScalas compared.

From this first initial test, to my ears, the LaScalas were much brighter and more detailed than the 83's. Dialog also was more prominent. I did not use an SPL meter to make sure both A/B were at the same volume but probably will do that during my next test to try and make it as fair of a comparison as possible.

Honestly, I'm very impressed with the sound of the LaScalas. Did Youthman just say that out loud? I never would have thought I would have uttered those words.

I even did a very quick A/B using the 83's as mains and switching between a single LaScala for a center and the RC-64. Again, the LaScala seemed to be more pronounced and detailed than the RC-64. Again, not a totally fair comparison since the RC-64 is 8ft in the air angled downwards towards the listening area while the LaScala is on the floor straight in front of me.

I'll likely have to bring the RC-64 down and place it on top of the LaScala to get a more fair comparison as well as level match them.

The force is strong with this one....

• Like 1

Pride, ego. I'm guilty of it too. No one likes having their opinions contradicted or put under the microscope. There is also the problem of lack of body language and many times things just don't translate well with the keyboard - and so it leads to misunderstandings.

Something else I've noticed is how many simply can't deal with being challenged. IOWs, as they say, they like to dish it out but they can't take it. When they find out they can't get away with personal attacks and/or derogatory statements, they leave. This forum used to be inhabited by older adults, most who were fairly technical and level headed, though admittedly not always. There isn't near the participation there used to be - sometimes I notice there's only three people browsing a section of the forum.

I looked up your Jubilee buying threads awhile back. Good stuff, of course I wasn't the one being chewed on. Most of those guys are no longer here or don't post. Wonder where parrot is?

Bro, your back is going to need a chiropractor or a moving company soon . . . they both cost about the same!

• Moderators

Things are moving way too fast....I was talking with an acquaintance today about me trying to decide if I prefer the RF-83's or the LaScalas and within a few minutes, he's offering to bring me cash tomorrow morning for my RF-83's. He even sent me a text showing the cash LOL.

I haven't made a definite decision yet because I haven't had much time to A/B them other than this morning for 30 minutes. I have a feeling I am leaning towards the LaScalas because of their clarity but that means if I choose them, I will almost be forced into making plans to redesign the false wall as they will not fit behind the false wall unless they face straight ahead with no toe in (wouldn't expect them to sound good like that).

Then there is the issue of finding a single LaScala for a center channel at a good price. That might take years???

Tough decisions ahead of me.....

Edited by Youthman

Things are moving way too fast....I was talking with an acquaintance today about me trying to decide if I prefer the RF-83's or the LaScalas and within a few minutes, he's offering to bring me cash tomorrow morning for my RF-83's. He even sent me a text showing the cash LOL.

I haven't made a definite decision yet because I haven't had much time to A/B them other than this morning for 30 minutes. I have a feeling I am leaning towards the LaScalas because of their clarity but that means if I choose them, I will almost be forced into making plans to redesign the false wall as they will not fit behind the false wall unless they face straight ahead with no toe in (wouldn't expect them to sound good like that).

Then there is the issue of finding a single LaScala for a center channel at a good price. That might take years???

Tough decisions ahead of me.....

lol......kind of sucks but in a good way huh?

I sent him a PM but I think freight shipping will be the killer.

It's Florida, man . . . just wait five minutes and there will more La Scalas, Belles, K-horns, etc., for sale! All of the best pre-owned Heritage sales come up in Florida!

• Like 2