Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

• Moderators
I think we all have that one set of speakers that we love and that all other speakers are compared to, even "technically" spec'd better ones. From reading, I won't speak for Youth, but it seems that may be the 83s he says he will probably never sell.

I think that may be a safe assumption. These are kinda like my babies. I started my Klipsch Journey in Jan 2008 when I sold my Polk Audio RT800, CS300 & FX500 Surround Sound setup and bought a pair of Klipsch CF-2, KV-3 and a Velodyne F1500 for $250. I was hooked! I had never heard so much detail, definition and separation of instruments before. It was amazing.

In March 2008, I sold the CF-2's and upgraded to a brand new pair of RF-83's. I had NEVER owned anything that nice before in my life. They had the same clarity as the CF-2's but they had a MUCH BIGGER sound to them. It was like a wall of sound compared to sound that was coming directly from the previous CF-2's.

The Pro Line Speakers are BLACK!! Come to the DARK side Youth, Come to the DARK side Youth!!!

Don't tempt me....cause I just might do that one day. At this point, I'm not going to say never to anything.

Well Mikey, if you are thinking of building a new false wall I would presume you will be putting in a larger screen. I know that has been a though on the mind for a long time and I think eventually this will be happening. You wouldn’t believe how adding a few inches diagonally adds that much more to the picture.

Most definitely. That would be one of the main reasons to rebuild a new false wall. I originally wanted to go with a 120" but since my room is only 13' wide, it would not give my 83's any room to toe in which would be horrible. There's right at 2' on each side of the screen right now. I would definitely want to go much bigger one day.

with a deeper false wall you could put some serious toys behind it!

That's funny cause I thought I had some serious toys in there now

Youth congrats on the new speakers, it was driving me nuts with all those deals on Heritage gear you were passing up. :D .
. :lol:

There are a lot of deals but you know me...just waiting for the "right" deal to come along.

Looks like its time to reconstruct that front wall shove 3 Lascalas up there with AT screen you can stash your gear in between each speaker.

An AT screen has always been a desire. The one problem with the RF-83 with an AT screen is the bottom of the screen will likely have to be placed in front of at least the bottom woofer which would not be good. At least with the Lascala, I could place the bottom of the screen just below the top section so the horns would be right at ear level. Yep, the wheels have already begun turning.

Time to look at a variation of a Cornscala.

I'm assuming with a cornscala, you actually build the cabinet yourself and move the driver from the folded horn design to a front ported design? Is that correct?

• Like 1

• Moderators
Well I have (3) LaScalas with AA crossovers for sale when you're ready....

Would only have room for 1 (well unless I hung the other two up high for front heights LOL)

I guess that rules out the living room. I bet they'd look great in there with all the wood you have. :)

Yes, the living room will definitely be out of the questions. If I keep these, they will have to remain in the HT for sure. I'm doing good to have a huge pair of RF-7ii's in the living room.

• Moderators
BTW . . . I would not send the AAs anywhere to get totally rebuilt, I would only recap them since they are working . . . I think you have enough forum friends nearby that you could get one to do the soldering for you once you have parts, Bro.

That's true, and wakejunkie is already trying to figure out when he can come down again next. Might be a fun project together (aka me watching him solder).

Man, it's getting hard replying to everyone's comments so if I miss yours, don't hesitate to bring it to my attention.

• Like 1

BTW . . . I would not send the AAs anywhere to get totally rebuilt, I would only recap them since they are working . . . I think you have enough forum friends nearby that you could get one to do the soldering for you once you have parts, Bro.

That's true, and wakejunkie is already trying to figure out when he can come down again next. Might be a fun project together (aka me watching him solder).

Man, it's getting hard replying to everyone's comments so if I miss yours, don't hesitate to bring it to my attention.

Well, we are all excited for you . . . you give so much to the forum.

One question. When you look inside the back into the HF section of the LS, do they look like the old oval tin-looking caps, or do they look new? (Someone may have saved you the trouble.) Even better, snap a quick pic when you can. But I know there is a lot going on for you between now and Easter morning.

And . . . I love that pic of the La Scalas aside RFs in your HT pic above. Inspiring in a Klipsch sort of way.

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 1

I can't see one reason to "compare" the la scala in your set up to the RF83's in your set up... not one.

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here. Why wouldn't you want to compare the differences in the sound between a 34yr old speaker and a pretty current model speaker? I can't think of one good reason not to compare them. :D

They both will have their own signature sound. One will likely have better midrange while the other will have better bottom end. One will likely be more laid back while the other will be more up front, revealing. To me, that's the beauty of comparing. It's not so much to try and declare a winner, because frankly, I haven't found a Klipsch speaker that I didn't like the sound of. For me, there is a satisfaction of sharing photos, reviews, comparisons etc of various Klipsch speakers because there are many here that may not ever have the opportunity or the ability to have multiple setups in their home.

My thinking as well. Comparing the 7ii to the Cornwall 1s was an honor. Both speakers are very popular and was a great way to see why klipsch has been around so long. I found they both had things better than the other. They are more alike than different imo.

Looks great!

I have a similar setup to yours: RF-83's/RC-64/RS-62/RF-82, but eventually swapped them all for two pairs of LS II's from craigslist, keeping dual RT-12d's. I agree the bass sound is different between them. If you have the space to run dual subs and can find another RSW-15 (great sub by the way!), I think it'll help the bass response considerably. No doubt the RF-83's bass is punchy and goes very low (and I still own mine as I like them too), but eventually I started to like the bass of the LS II's as drums did sound more life like to me. I may not have been as satisfied without dual subs though, not sure.

For me, the biggest improvement coming from the RF-83's to the LS II's was the midrange and imaging. In your tests, try to find one of those audiophile test CD's. Chesky records has one that helps you compare imaging, has some drum solos, etc... The LS's really do want to be as far apart as possible. If possible, I'd try putting them closer to the corners (towed in as close to 45 degrees as possible, but keep them aimed at the MLP) in order to help improve the bass and imaging. Also, Audyssey helps their frequency response some, as mine always had a dip around ~100 hz without audyssey. This could be room related though.

I wish I had a bigger room for my LS's, but I absolutely love the imaging they give in my room and the way voices sound. The RF-83's could never image that well for me, so I do think there's value in these large midrange horns.

Edited by etc6849

• Moderators

Nothing like a little pressure. Can't say I don't like to add a little also, it adds to the fun when someone hears a model for the first time. :D

But in the end it's whatever makes Youthmans ears happy is what he should do, the model, size, shape or age should not matter (if it fits into your setup) . It's really that simple, when you turn down the lights and watch a movie or music it's all that counts, that was the original goal and it shouldn't change. imo

We don't all hear or like the same thing

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Nothing like a little pressure. Can't say I don't like to add a little also, it adds to the fun when someone hears a model for the first time. :D

But in the end it's whatever makes Youthmans ears happy is what he should do, the model, size, shape or age should not matter (if it fits into your setup) . It's really that simple, when you turn down the lights and watch a movie or music it's all that counts, that was the original goal and it shouldn't change. imo

You should be writing books dtel ;)

You should be writing books dtel ;)

lol

• Moderators
You should be writing books dtel

Can't do it, that's all the words I know, it wouldn't even fill a kids book and it would have to have more pictures than words to make more than one page. It would also probably wear out my spellchecker, as it is the spellchecker just answers , "seriously can't expect me do understand that, did you go to school at all ?". :(

Now if were a book on miscellaneous :pwk_bs: I could do better.

Well I have (3) LaScalas with AA crossovers for sale when you're ready....

Would only have room for 1 (well unless I hung the other two up high for front heights LOL)

I guess that rules out the living room. I bet they'd look great in there with all the wood you have. :)

Yes, the living room will definitely be out of the questions. If I keep these, they will have to remain in the HT for sure. I'm doing good to have a huge pair of RF-7ii's in the living room.

That's what i'm saying... get 3 more and use a pair for heights too! :)

Oh guys.... I just barely purchase my RF7-II system and not even finish connecting them yet and now these heritage model ???

I hope that I will have enough money for my retirement here... These are just too much fun.

Reference... I can't.... These forum getting me addicted here... Maybe I should turn off my PC and have some booze and watch movies for a few days without getting into this forum huh. Must make some speakers wires first. Bye folks.