Best flagship A/V receiver?

Kain

Between the Onkyo TX-NR5010, Yamaha RX-A3030, and the Pioneer Elite SC-79, which would be the best match for my Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7? I have a 5.1 setup with a single SubMersive. My Klipsch speakers are the original models from back in 2002. I need an A/V receiver that can drive them to reference levels with ease and, of course, have excellent sound quality. By the way, I am also open to other suggestions for A/V receivers so please suggest any if you like. I would like to stay away from separates right now.

• Moderators

I'm not familiar with either of those models but my Onkyo TXS-703 and my Yamaha RX-V1800 were both phenomenal for home theater. Onkyo was 100x7 and the Yamaha 120 or 130x7. The only time I wasn't impressed as when I tried running seven speakers on the Yamaha. It was just too much drain on the receiver.

Thanks for the replies.

Back when I was putting together my first "real" home theater in the early 2000s (the one in my sig), Yamaha A/V receivers had the tendency to sound bright. As a result, they were noted to not mate well with Klipsch. Is that still the case or have times changed?

• Moderators

I've only owned one Yamaha Receiver, the RX-V1800 and I never once felt it sounded bright with Klipsch, not at all. Did you have the RF-7's paired with it? If so, that may be the case. The 83's are MUCH more laid back sound than the RF-7's. Almost any receiver can make the RF-7's sound bright or harsh.

• Moderators

I won't argue with any of the above, but you should add the Integra DTR-80.3 to the lineup. It is made by Onkyo, and it can be purchased from a dealer only. They can discount them, and are usually very competitive.

Looks like there is a pretty premium for that Integra. $1700 for a refurb? My brain always goes back to will I hear $1000 worth of difference between a mid-level AVR and that Integra? Will it sound twice as good? But that's just how my brain thinks.

Edited by Youthman

Youthman,

I've haven't heard Yamaha with Klipsch personally but I was just going by what I've read in the past regarding the bright nature of Yamaha. Am I correct in assuming the that SC-79 has better amps than the RX-A3030 or are they pretty much equal? People say that the amps in the SC-79 are awesome if not the best amps in an A/V receiver. Build quality is also very important to me because I tend to keep stuff for a very long time. My current A/V receiver was bought in 2003 or around that and is still working fine.

Schu,

Best for sound quality and loud listening sessions I guess.

All the flagship avr's are pretty nice. I am a Pioneer man myself. The difference in mid-level avr's and flagship are the other features, like room correction, streaming, connectivity all the things you think you will never use until you have them.

I ditched a lot of the features an avr has and went for a preamp that is very lean and detailed in its audio reproduction. Most flagship avrs are awesome and you won't be disappointed but the integra may be a very nice option. There are differences when you move from a flagship avr to a higher end pre amp and separates, but from a mid level to flagship avr you won't hear as much of a difference IMO. I second the notion of looking more for 5.1 then 9.1 avrs and the pio elite won't disappoint you.

The reason I am looking at the high-end 9-channel AVRs is because they tend to have the most powerful amps.

I would not buy an avr with that in mind. You can always add power as long as the avr you get has pre outs. Find the best deal on the one that has what you want and then grab a power amp. Will price about the same and you will end up with better perforce imo.

• Like 2

No Denon option? I use the 4520 and it is great... A friend of mine also got the x4000 and he loves it too.

Denon here. The upper Denon models usually spec out at the head of the pack in bench tests. I like the fact that their upper models are built in Japan instead of China.

No Denon option? I use the 4520 and it is great... A friend of mine also got the x4000 and he loves it too.

Denon here. The upper Denon models usually spec out at the head of the pack in bench tests. I like the fact that their upper models are built in Japan instead of China.

I agree... I still prefer "Made in Japan" vs "Made in China".

• Like 2

Okay, what if I get the Parasound Halo A 51 amp? What preamp should I get that is good value?

I think the AVR is still the best way to go as they offer all the features of a good preamp for less money than a dedicated AVP, and as long as you get pre outs you can add whatever amp you want.

I had most of them and for a AVR you cant beat the X4000 that's the one I would buy again