Best flagship A/V receiver?

Kain

I am looking for a pre/pro (or could use an AVR but I have a 7ch amp Emotiva MPS-1). ~$2,000. My current pre/pro is Component (not HDMI) so I use the Oppo 103 as processor. I was thinking about the Emotiva XMC-1 but it keeps getting delayed. I'm most interested in sound quality (esp. stereo) but need the HDMI switching.

Should I focus on new releases or older high end pre/pros that are now discounted used on Audiogon (i.e. HALO, Anthem)

Edited by Vectra

I was considering updating my 8 year old Yamaha avr. It does have hdmi connectivity, and pre-outs, so now my thinking is just adding an amp. It has just enough power for ht, because the whole family watches then, but I want more power for my music.

Okay, I think I am back to square-one. I think it's better if I just get a new A/V receiver to power my speakers along with a new HDTV and Blu-ray player because I am planning on completely re-doing my home theater in a few years (at least 3-4). No need to spend mega bucks on what I have now just to replace it later.

So, I am down to the Pioneer Elite SC-79 and the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030. Is the Yamaha better built?

Okay, I think I am back to square-one. I think it's better if I just get a new A/V receiver to power my speakers along with a new HDTV and Blu-ray player because I am planning on completely re-doing my home theater in a few years (at least 3-4). No need to spend mega bucks on what I have now just to replace it later.

So, I am down to the Pioneer Elite SC-79 and the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030. Is the Yamaha better built?

What about Marantz or Denon?

• Like 1

Don't really like the looks of the Marantz and, from what I've read, the Denon comparable to these units did not match their sound quality.

Your decision. I have heard nothing but good about the Denon (in fact I own one). I also have heard that Audyssey is better than the competition in calibrating for your room. I can't personally confirm it as I have no first hand knowledge of it. All I can say is I have owned 3 Denons, 1 Pioneer Elite and 1 Yamaha AVR and I like all of them at the time I owned them and didn't find them lacking.

• Like 1

Don't really like the looks of the Marantz and, from what I've read, the Denon comparable to these units did not match their sound quality.

Check online and magazine REVIEWS for an AVR that

1) Meets power specs for each channel, with all channels operating(or at least puts out as much power as you need). Many are misleadingly rated, but the reviewers will catch that when they test the unit.

2) Is O.K. with dropping impedence.

NAD has a good rep in these respects (hope that's still true).

Some people find that they need bass boost with Reference (there is a thread devoted to that somewhere on the forum).

I know it's not on the OP's list but no one mentioned Rotel. Is there prejudice against the brand?

I doubt that. Rotel just does not have too many AVR offerings to put them on most's radar. The RSX-1562 is the only current AVR they are offering but it does seem to be a pretty good one. Though it does not seem it has any kind of on board room correction EQ. The ICEpower Class D amp technology is a plus.

Bill

NAD has a good rep in these respects (hope that's still true).

Yes NAD does spec their AVR(and amps) at "all channels driven" and peak levels(dynamic power) and even their entry level offering T-748v2 is pretty solid and comes in at a moderate 25.3 pounds in weight and 7x40wpc with all channels driven. The flagship T-787 weighs in at over 55 pounds and specs at 7x120wpc with all channels driven/150wpc in stereo. A bit pricey though at $4000.00 msrp and "only" Audyssey MultEQ XT. With all that said, the sound quality is superb for HT and especially 2-channel music.

Bill

What about Marantz or Denon?

Or Harman Kardon

Read around on the Anthem MRX 710 and is it as good as the reviews say? Some went as far as saying that this is the closest you can get to separates with an A/V receiver.

http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/collection=performance/model=mrx-710/page=reviews

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/anthems-mrx-710-close-separates-av-receiver-gets/