Best flagship A/V receiver?

Kain

Read extensively On these MRX receivers I don’t use one but wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. I use the D2v one of anthems higher end Pre-amps and can’t praise the audio quality enough. I am sure that their receivers follow suit with similar quality and a great neutral sound. Arc will create the best targeted flat response in your room bar none! Their customer services is also excellent. I called a few months back to order a knob for my D1 processor and they sent it for free instead of charging me 30 dollars and called me on my cell to let me know it shipped out

I don't own an mrx so Ivan comment on the fans but I doubt you will hear them. My old pioneer elite sc55 had a fan that ran and I never heard it. It will power your 5.1 speakers with ease as they are efficient and of course the mrx has pre outs with the possibility to add separate amplification later on if you so wish.

Here is a review on the Denon 4520 The reviewer sold his Onkyo 5508, XPA-3 amp, and XPA-1 monoblocks after getting the Denon and he is drive Martin Logans which are much harder to drive than Klipsch. Here is a post with the test results of it... Post #7623... Sorry, but apparently it won't allow the link to AVSForums (just go to AVSForums and go to the "The Official Denon AVR-4520ci thread and go to post # 7623 to see the test results from Sound and Vision Magazine.

Here is another review...

http://www.avforums.com/review/denon-avr-4520-9-channel-audio-video-receiver-review.560

I have seen not seen any reviews saying it is not excellent for audio and video.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

I don't own an mrx so Ivan comment on the fans but I doubt you will hear them. My old pioneer elite sc55 had a fan that ran and I never heard it. It will power your 5.1 speakers with ease as they are efficient and of course the mrx has pre outs with the possibility to add separate amplification later on if you so wish.

Have a look at this post on the AVS Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1497598/anthem-mrx-receivers-310-510-710-owners-thread-tweaking-guide/1830#post_24612207

Well I've owned an MRX 710 for about three weeks now. It replaced an Onkyo TXNR 818. I'm a lowly factory worker and it was a lot of coin for me to drop. Before I say my piece and tick people off I will first say that even without using ARC this is a great sounding AVR. The sound quality is pretty top notch.

However after running ARC numerous times and reading through this forum I still can't understand what everyone is raving about. No matter what I seem to do as soon as I turn ARC on I lose a lot of bass and definition in my speakers. Everything seem flat and lifeless. Movies and Music sound better with ARC off. I get more definition in my bass and the speakers just seem more alive. I'm running a 7.1 all Klipsch setup with the RF7 ii"s and RC64 for my front soundstage. Yes there big speakers but Klipsch makes speakers that are very energy efficient and easy to drive. The Onkyo would put you right out of the room and NEVER shut down. I've read reviews on the 710 that say what a power house it is. The 710 shuts down between -12 and -9 volume level all the time, it's pathetic. Yes I like my music loud and it's very annoying when my former $1100 Jap crap avr totally out muscles the 710. The remote for it sucks, I had to go out and buy a Harmony. For what I spent I wish I could be like so many other people on here and be bias and say that this is the be all and end all of avr's. But after threes weeks I'm starting to feel quite disappointed in what I got for $2200 bucks. I've heard ARC will make your speakers sing. But so far even after spending hrs trying to figure something out, ARC is out of the equation. If your considering one of these avr's I would seriously demo one first before you commit.

Faulty unit or the MRX 710 cannot handle the impedance swings of the RF-7s?

Here is a review on the Denon 4520 The reviewer sold his Onkyo 5508, XPA-3 amp, and XPA-1 monoblocks after getting the Denon and he is drive Martin Logans which are much harder to drive than Klipsch. Here is a post with the test results of it... Post #7623... Sorry, but apparently it won't allow the link to AVSForums (just go to AVSForums and go to the "The Official Denon AVR-4520ci thread and go to post # 7623 to see the test results from Sound and Vision Magazine.

Here is another review...

http://www.avforums.com/review/denon-avr-4520-9-channel-audio-video-receiver-review.560

I have seen not seen any reviews saying it is not excellent for audio and video.

How is the reliability on the Denons?

ARC Is not a first time users simple solution to great audio. It takes a bit of reading and research to figure out and you have to adjust target windows and such on the laptop with arc before uploading it to the pre/amp or in your case the avr. It sound like it is his first foray into the upper end receiver world and may be the reason behind not having the adjustments made correctly. I have always had decent audio with my past few avrs but I can say that arc created a completely crystal clear precise arry of sound in my room. I loved and will rave about my old elite receiver and wouldn’t dissuade you from looking into other avrs (it would be best if you could audition some before buying but sometimes isn’t always the case.) that being said I prefere the sound I have now with the results from arc. I had to make a few adjustments before uploading the data as I wanted my xo set to 80 and arc recommended setting them to 65 on my mains. I also used the lfe and sub trim to add a touch more bass but the speakers themselves I left completely to arcs recommended setting and couldn’t be happier. For people that want warmer sound and not such a neutral tone they can adjust the gain on the target window also which allows for a warmer soundstage. My elite brought a much warmer sound than my Denon or onkyo etc avrs but I prefer the anthem sound the best. He may not care for the sound but I can say there is no lack of bass when using arc esp. properly. Where are you located Kain?

I bought my first Denon in 2005 so my wife could use the Yamaha AVR for her Salon... The Yamaha dled the next year, and was replaced by the Pioneer Elite that I had been using as a 2nd AVR in our home. I also bought another Denon 2807 the following year (2006) to replace the Pioneer Elite that I had been using as a second AVR. I went until 2013 using the 2 Denons without any problems... I sold the Denon 3806 and gave the 2807 to a friend, and I purchased the 4520ci... As far as I know both Denons are still working fine )I have no idea on the Pioneer Elite though as we are no longer together.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had almost all Yamaha, I had tried a Harmon Kardon ( From Circuit City ) , Its was kinda pricey. I could not stand it , I keep coming back to Yamaha. I have had mostly Klipsch before. I prefer the sound when they are paired together. I dont know if its bright but it definatley inst subtle.

Denon fan here since the late 80's. Their upper models usually win the bench tests on paper when it comes to output and SNR numbers. Also their upper line is assembled in Japan and not China. Look at features you want and research online. With a direct source and normal listening levels its unlikely anyone could pick out the sound of "their" AVR when compared to equal rivals..... although when driven hard, it might be a different story.

Will the denon x4000 have enough power to drive my klipsch 7.1 setup?

-2 rf-7

-1 rc-7

-4 rs-7

-rw-10

I am just worried about under powering them. I have heard it is just as bad to underpower a speaker as it is to over power them. Is there any chance of they denon x4000 blowing my speakers? I'm looking for the sweet spot.

Grab the mrx you won't look back. Anthems arc is incredible to say the least.

until you need it fixed took 2 months to get mine back
that is longer than usual I presume I had my d2v upgraded to 3d and was back with me within 3.5 weeks. Quality wise I like anthem and their sound ad well as arc.

Grab the mrx you won't look back. Anthems arc is incredible to say the least.

until you need it fixed took 2 months to get mine back
that is longer than usual I presume I had my d2v upgraded to 3d and was back with me within 3.5 weeks. Quality wise I like anthem and their sound ad well as arc.

A lot of Audio reviews puts ARC at the top of room correction. They build some pretty salty Amps to boot. It would be nice to demo their 710 AVR against a few of the Asian built AVR's.

Im liking the build of the 710 and don't mind it missing a lot of the "extras", but it looks like that fan will be getting a workout. Two reviews really pump up its two channel stereo sound, which is a big plus for some of us.

EDIT:

I could have done without the MADE IN CHINA tag on the back though.

12106383294_e3a7a98602_b.jpg

MRX710_cooling2-597x499.jpg

Edited by Max2