Whts bettr , klf10/20 , or kg 5.5 ??

SmthIQ

Never had a set of Klipsch spkrs before , but everything I've heard says I need some . I've foud a set of both klf 10's($425) , and klf 20's($800) , and kg 5.5($450) , not sure which ones are preferrable . I listen to hard/classic rock , and will also use for home theater . Currently have a HarmanKardon AVR520(roughly 100w/ch) to drive them , any suggestions , opinions ??

-Thanks-

I would say go Legends... KLF-20 all the way. Smile.gif

They are great for rock. They say they are the best for rock. I am looking for some KG series of the .5 area (ie 3.5, 4.5, 5.5) to match my 2.5's. I like the KG series, though the Legends aer better for rock from my understanding.

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 07-16-2002 at 09:30 PM

• Like 1

Definitely go with the Legends. I owned KG 4.5's and 5.5's. I now have KLF 10's. I'm not sure if the 20's are necessarily worth twice the money (oh, what am I saying, I wish I could afford a pair of the 20's). I will say that I am very happy with my 10's, and they are a better speaker than the KG's. They defintely have a smoother richer sound than the KG's.

• Like 1

I haven't heard the KG series in quite some time but as far as the KLF series goes; I auditioned the 10's, 20's, and 30's all side by side and ended up with the 10's. They had more bass output than the other models and the sound was better balanced. The 20's and 30's in my opinion have too much midrange which I thought over-rode the treble and bass. The 10's were much more balanced like the Definitive Technology BP2002's they replaced. You can check AUDIOREVIEW.COM for reviews on the 10's, several people had the same comments as I did. You can check reviews on all of the speakers you're interested in on that site. I don't know how you give the direct link so you'll have to look it up on a search engine or try audioreview.com.

Let me disagree, respectfully, with Tommytutor.

I owned KLF10s for a short time and returned them for KLF20s because of what I perceived to be a very weak, yet rough and edgy, midrange. I just don't think the cross over between the woofer and the tweeter works well.

The KLF10s do go deeper, but they just seemed to lack something in my opinion. THe KLF 20s sounded much, much better balanced to me.

But, you know what they say about opinions . . .

i own klf-30's and although the c-7 is a great center ch, i'm looking for a klf-20(NOT 10)to horizontalise into a center channel. i felt like the 20, with the same horn and tweet as the 30, would be a better match than the 10.

i listen mostly to classic rock and pop rock, and movies. klf's and rock...CAN YOU SAY 'LIVE CONCERT EXPERIENCE AT HOME'!!! go for the legends! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Cool then , well ,guess I'll go w/the 20's , I shouldnt have a problem driving them w/my HK AVR520 , right ?? Also , seems my chance to get those 20's has evaporated , know anyone sellin em ??

This message has been edited by SmthIQ on 07-19-2002 at 03:37 AM

• 6 months later...
  • 18 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Coincidentally, have owned the KG 4, KLF 20 and KLF 10, all in a medium sized treated room powered by SET amp. Had the two KLF at the same time so the comparison was better than the memory of the KG 4s. Listen to chamber music, jazz, instrumentals, etc and rarely rock, hard metal, etc. Based on those parameters, I liked the KG4s but the KLF 10s have impressed me and prefer them to the KLF 20s. The integration of sound, the dynamics, vividness, and female vocal realities are all there with the two KLFs. However, the 2 way KLF10s seemed more natural not just to me but to friends and family. BTW, am no newbie dating back many decades in loving music reproduction.