KG 5.5 sounding "flat"

mmcarbo

I used to tell people to buy amps by the pound, and to check the amperage rating. Class D/ ICE modules have changed that -- but I would make sure the receiver is using a well thought out and well executed design with those parts. I've heard nothing but good things about the upper end Pioneer Elite units, which is kind of the direction I'm leaning towards.

I used to tell people to buy amps by the pound, and to check the amperage rating. Class D/ ICE modules have changed that -- but I would make sure the receiver is using a well thought out and well executed design with those parts. I've heard nothing but good things about the upper end Pioneer Elite units, which is kind of the direction I'm leaning towards.

I hear you there!

People who own Pioneer Elite love them, Demon owners are also very loyal to the brand and quality. I have never owned either, but I'm curious.

I was using a 15 year old Onkyo receiver.

What model?

im curious what model too. i have a 1999-2000 model onkyo 777 avr, it was my first receiver with dolby digital 5.1. its 105wpc & uses the same WRAT amp design most current onkyo avr's have. it has always driven my speakers great, tons of bass. most recently it was on the kg5.5's & they always had excellent bass. it is now designated to the mainly home theater system with different speakers & about to be replaced by the 805.

sorry i forgot if you said you checked the settings on the receiver, but if you havent, this is the very model or series of models that will default to sub "YES" & cut the bass from your main speakers. can you go into the settings menu & confirm the sub is set to "NO" & the main speakers are set to "LARGE" ?

Edited by klipschfancf4

I can't remember the Onkyo model. Last night I was playing with AVR settings and was able to get some low end back. I'm not a super enthusiast so there are WAY too many settings for me to play with. I'm used to bass, treble, and balance ;) I've noticed that the Yamaha has mellowed out the horns, which to me had always been somewhat harsh when I had the Onkyo. I did make sure that both woofers were working in each speaker. When I get more time I'll play around more.

Glad you got some improvement from your new Yamaha, mmcarbo. I've been there, too, when the new HT receiver is overwhelming. Many have too many settings/options these days.

Hey mustang you have everything well in hand! Had I read your sig I would have seen your Niles box and gear configuration. Scratch my earlier Niles recommendation from the record. And thanks for not roasting me. :cool:

Those Fisher monos sound sweet. Are they an older model? Sure I could Google it but this is more fun.

Well, my "problem" is the new AVR. I hooked up a pair of Acoustech PL-76 that I had running off a Pioneer VSX-822. The PL's have a lot of low end with the Pioneer. The Yamaha flattens out the sound. I played with the parametric eq a little and what a difference. Hooked the 5.5's back up with the slightly tweaked eq and I have some of my cannons back. Now I have to play with the eq to tweak the sound a bit. I never thought there would be this much of a difference between receivers. Thanks for all the advise. If I picked up the Crites tweeters and crossovers how much of a change would there be in the quality of sound?

Edited by mmcarbo

Glad you got some improvement from your new Yamaha, mmcarbo. I've been there, too, when the new HT receiver is overwhelming. Many have too many settings/options these days.

Hey mustang you have everything well in hand! Had I read your sig I would have seen your Niles box and gear configuration. Scratch my earlier Niles recommendation from the record. And thanks for not roasting me. :cool:

Those Fisher monos sound sweet. Are they an older model? Sure I could Google it but this is more fun.

LOL, I wouldn't roast you for being too lazy to read my tag-line. ;)

These amps are indeed sweet. They are also very nice little hand warmers. I wanted to go for an MC275, but the money wasn't quite there. I'm glad I didn't. What you will find if you google them is that they are a lot like the MC30's, just less expensive. A lot less. They are without a doubt dead as a rock quiet, and they make my LaScalas sing far better than my Integra pre-pro.

Well, my "problem" is the new AVR. I hooked up a pair of Acoustech PL-76 that I had running off a Pioneer VSX-822. The PL's have a lot of low end with the Pioneer. The Yamaha flattens out the sound. I played with the parametric eq a little and what a difference. Hooked the 5.5's back up with the slightly tweaked eq and I have some of my cannons back. Now I have to play with the eq to tweak the sound a bit. I never thought there would be this much of a difference between receivers. Thanks for all the advise. If I picked up the Crites tweeters and crossovers how much of a change would there be in the quality of sound?

Getting back to what I have been saying all along. Turn off all the settings and measurements. Is it better, no, does it sound like before, likely yes. But you never said you were looking for accurate reproduction or room mode handling. You wanted to know where the heck the bass went. YPAO ate it.

I actually did use the "Through" YPAO setting under the EQ to not use the automatic settings. Pure Direct sounds terrible to me. If the Yamaha is giving me accurate reproduction of the sound as they advertise, then that's ok. I'll have to learn to tweak the EQ. My fear was that something was wrong with my 5.5's as they were cannons with the Onkyo...but the horns always bothered me too. Now the highs are smoother and less harsh to me. This AVR is a steep learning curve. I hope to figure it out at some point...

The only way to know is hook up the old receiver and see if the bass comes back. That would rule out speaker issues. It could be that your speakers developed problems at the exact time you changed receivers, but the odds are against that. The receiver is the thing you changed, it is most likely the source of your issues.

I'm running my 5.5s off a new marantz 7007. I have a sony sitting in the closet because no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to sound right in 2ch. When I listen to them now in 2ch I'm running the receiver in "direct" mode to bypass all processors and they sound great. Definitely try another receiver if you can, it might be the issue. Also make sure there's nothing reflecting between you and the speakers, like say a coffee table.