Curious about heritage speakers

Cosmic_surfer

I mentioned that i recently jumped into home theatre and purchased a fleet of reference class speakers. I have started getting interested in the heritage series speakers (Khorns, la scala, belle, etc.) and was curious how these compared to the reference speakers i purchased (rf-7, rc-7, rs-7, rsw-1)? I have seen from the specs that the heritage class speakers dont really have the punch that my reference speakers have, but do they excel in areas that my reference speakers do not? Is it feasible to assemble a second set of theatre speakers consisting entirely of heritage speakers? I definitely am appealed to their furniture like appeal.

• Like 1

What would you say each speakers benefits would be? Would 4 Khorns in the corner be good, or would it be better to use Khorns as the front left and right and use belles or la-scalas for the rear corners? Which role would each speaker class play in an idea setup?

Edited by Cosmic_surfer
  • Like 1

I would go with one or the other for the HT. I own a RF system and I don't think it is lacking in any area for HT. A subwoofer/s will be the dominate player on the low end for HT. I also don't see much advantage to not running the satellites as small and handing over the bass and LFE to a sub/s. Music taste is a whole different ballgame. A kick azz system for HT can be done with THX, Reference, Heritage, Icon or Syneregy.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Much comes down to personal taste and what sounds best to you. I love the in-your-face drama and dynamics of our all-KLF series HT system (which might be comparable to some newer Reference lines) but I also like what I perceive to be the somewhat more refined sound of our Heritage (Cornwall) 2 ch. system. Another listener may have a very different take, and neither of us would be "wrong." Heritage would be great for HT if that's what your ears tell you.

• Like 1

I mentioned that i recently jumped into home theatre and purchased a fleet of reference class speakers. I have started getting interested in the heritage series speakers (Khorns, la scala, belle, etc.) and was curious how these compared to the reference speakers i purchased (rf-7, rc-7, rs-7, rsw-1)? I have seen from the specs that the heritage class speakers dont really have the punch that my reference speakers have, but do they excel in areas that my reference speakers do not? Is it feasible to assemble a second set of theatre speakers consisting entirely of heritage speakers? I definitely am appealed to their furniture like appeal.

Cosmic_surfer,

Hi! Welcome to the forums!! Come in and stay a while.... :D

I bought my mother and father a RF-7 home theatre setup and I use to have Klipschorns and La Scalas. I now have 7 Klipsch TSCMs which is the Klipsh Pro Version of Klipschorns. To me, the RF-7s provide a very nice home theatre and an obvious wife or mother acceptance factor, but the Referance is not nearly as good for music to my ears, and as such, the Heritage also makes a more articulate center channel. Anything the Heritage may lack in Bass can be handled by a Killer sub or two, or four subs!! The main recquisition for Heritage like Klipschorns and La Scalas is space. You need a room big enough to not only look appropriate, but to let them breathe. Many here will argue that Klipschorns sound good in a small room, and they do, but you really haven't heard them if you haven't heard them with 20 feet between the right and left channels. How big is the room you are thinking of doing in Heritage anyhow??? Look forward to your response.

Roger

• Like 4

Well the basement that will be our theatre is fairly large. The only issue comes with a support beam in about the center of the whole room. If I had to guess I would say it is probably a 15x20 foot space. As of right now the television will go in a corner, my wife wanted a sectional for the basement (I wanted theatre seating, but we have to make sacrifices where necessary). It will be a little tight in the comer with the tv and the 2 rf-7s being jammed into it. The back of the couch is against that support beam, so we only have maybe a 5 foot distance to the tv.

Not the ideal setup, but it is our first house... Im only 30, but I would like to acquire the tech as soon as I am able because the room can be created in a house that has a more ideal area for home theatre.

• Like 1

I run a reference set up close to yours in a dedicated ht room, and a heritage ht in the family room. I don't think your missing to much with what you have. If you were just starting out i think the heritage would be the way to go. They are really awesome speakers for the money on the used market. As far as bass the Cornwall have more bass than any speakers i have spent any time with . I think depending what you get it wouldn't be a huge upgrade but if you go really big like 3 402 horns with horn bass below that would be an upgrade worth doing imo of course.

• Like 2

I honestly feel that anything would be better than what I have experienced. For the past 6 years i have only had the stock soundbar on my 52" sharp aquos. Before that, my dad had a sony 5.1 system out of the box. It was decent at the time and really changed the home theatre experience at the time. I am not really asking which speakers are better, I was just asking what areas the heritage speakers excelled at better than the reference line. It sounds like they would be more laid back and smoother. I really don't feel that one is better than the others, but the longer i own klipsch, the more I want to follow the rabbit into wonderland. If I have it my way I will have 2-3 home theatre audio setups, just to switch it up once in a while.

• Like 1

I don't really agree that they sound way different. I ran them side by side for hours and think they sound more alike than different. The cornwalls have a little bigger bass and a bigger voice than the rf7ii. The rf7ii has better top end sparkle that sounds a little better. Both speakers play with an effortless sound. And they both have that same klipsch sound. But thats compared with the top of the reference line per say. vs the lower levels the heritage would walk all over them imo. So in general with all speakers in the reference line included i would say the heritage line are just a better speaker with better everything. This is my opinion of course and i only own the cornwalls and heresys.

• Like 2

... I was just asking what areas the heritage speakers excelled at better than the reference line. It sounds like they would be more laid back and smoother. I really don't feel that one is better than the others, but the longer i own klipsch, the more I want to follow the rabbit into wonderland ...

Everybody talks about the rabbit! If you continue to buy Klipsch, you will fall down the rabbit hole for sure, but it is a great experience.

I love Heritage, but I wouldn't say they are "more laid back and smoother." They may well measure less smooth, although they may sound better. Smoothness (flat response) is not anywhere near everything. In rank ordering qualities that matter, Paul Klipsch put low distortion near the top, and frequency response near the bottom (perhaps someone has a copy of what he said about the matter). The Heritage line speakers are very dynamic and the ones with horn-loaded bass (Klipschorn, Belle, La Scala, La Scala II) have very clear (as opposed to muddy) low distortion bass. The Cornwall II/III has nice punchy bass, but, some find, not as tight and effortless.

Those who own or have heard it say that the Jubilee is a great speaker, better than Klipschorns. The first design was meant to be the successor to the Klipschorn. There are several combinations of horns/drivers now available to assemble a Jubilee -- search the forum for more info. They are in Klipsch's Cinema/pro line now, but the photographs on the website may not cover all of the possibilities. I believe they must be purchased from Klipsch through Roy Delgado, the co-designer, but others can clarify that.

I am very happy with my Klipschorn / Belle / Heresy II surround Home Theater, but if I were to start over, I would investigate the Jubilee!

• Like 2

I surely agree with all said. Some for large areas more than small. Even with large areas a full heresy 3 7.0 system with .2 18's is very, very good. If you want to go on budget any variation of the heresy at 7.0 with .2 18's is also very good. I have used both these systems and compared to larger klipsch heritage sure there are some large dynamics that are not hardly comparable although i find it very tough comparing it to any reference setup in surround sound. The best strength in reference was the use of the rc64ii. Just stating my opinion and experience. Even to go H3x7=$5500 or there about. Results are supreme and a great beginning.

I use the latest pro heresys and heresy variations plus 2 direct radiating 18''s throughout my current surround sound and i would not change 1 thing no matter what...

If you do so chose khorn, belle or lascala or other like heritage style speakers in surround sound it would be strongly urged to pair that or them with a horn subwoofer setup as well..

• Like 1

If you do so chose khorn, belle or lascala or other like heritage style speakers in surround sound it would be strongly urged to pair that or them with a horn subwoofer setup as well..

Yes! Because horn-loaded Heritage (Khorn/Belle/La Scala) and Jubilee (also horn-loaded) will have tighter bass than almost any conventional sub, you would want a horn-loaded sub. Search the forum and find at least two discussed (the Tuba and another), and Google "Horn-loaded subwoofer."

• Like 1