Low level system hum

derrickdj1

I have developed a low level hum in the system. If will fluctuates and times but is not a 60 Hz buzz. The only things that have changed in the HT was the replacement of the cable line in the wall and a separate cabel for high speed internet in the wall. I also added an amp for 2 of my subs. At louder volumes the hum can't be heard. Any suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have developed a low level hum in the system. If will fluctuates and times but is not a 60 Hz buzz. The only things that have changed in the HT was the replacement of the cable line in the wall and a separate cabel for high speed internet in the wall. I also added an amp for 2 of my subs. At louder volumes the hum can't be heard. Any suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh god. I have infected the Forum!

• Like 2

I only have two outlet that I use for the HT. Both outlets have a power console that everything is connected to. I have tried plugging up things differently and no luck. The tow outlets are on a different circuit, both 15 amps.

I don't think this one is on you eth2, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

Oh god. I have infected the Forum!

It's catchy!!

Have you reviewed the mono block ground loop thread? People gave me all types of things to try such as:

Line conditioners

Cheater plugs

Using an AM radio tuned to 880 to look for problem areas

Getting rid of dimmer switches

Using a common surge protector

Looking for florescent lights

The new types of incandescent bulbs

Making sure that the amp, preamp and other components are plugged into the same outlet

Adding a ground loop device to the line in for CATV.

It would be worth it for you to review that thread as many very knowledgeable people offered their thoughts and help

Have you tried unplugging the sub amp when the hum is noticable? I would just start at the top and start eliminating things one at a time until you find it. Hopefully its not any of your new in-wall wiring.

shake the wires and see if the hum goes in and out..

i have found this common including pa systems with subwoofer installs and you did indeed re install your subwoofer system..

shake the wires and see if the hum changes even for a second..cable box wires and modem, internet wires cause some low frequency hums in my experience...shaking the wires will tell you if its a crossed wire or not...as well as other possible issues..

I noticed a very small hum with my 2 subwoofer amps during my initial install last year. I use the Sub-3 Audioquest with AQ y connectors into each amp and they come with a ground tail which when I attached to one of the amps completely makes them silent. I would think something small like this maybe running a small wire to ground them could help? I hope you get it fixed today.

• Like 1

I noticed a very small hum with my 2 subwoofer amps during my initial install last year. I use the Sub-3 Audioquest with AQ y connectors into each amp and they come with a ground tail which when I attached to one of the amps completely makes them silent. I would think something small like this maybe running a small wire to ground them could help? I hope you get it fixed today.

I have the sub cable split to 3 amps. This is a good ideal to look into. I tried the cheater plug and the hum may be a little worse using it. I will pull everything out later to day and change sub cables and splitters on the sub cable.

I know we have different subwoofer setups of course the way mine is setup is on the back of my Anthem Pre amp there are 2 sub out RCA and XLR connections. I use the RCA analog outs and both of my Sub-3 cables were factor terminated with a Y connector made from audioquest and then each has the 72dbs kit and a ground tail on each end. My KA-1000 amps have a Left and Right RCA in of course which I connect one sub out of the pre to each sub in on the amp and the ground tail on each amp. Then my amps have two sub outs via Speakon cables to the passive KW-120s so I know our sub layouts are different as I don’t use y splitters to add subs but adding the ground may help you mate.

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

Problem solved, I think it was partially related to the gain structure of the B amp. I was using a stereo TSR connector since on the amp since nobody had a mono connector when I need one. I also change the sub cable and the speaker wire but, the hum was still there. I was also using TSR connections to the ch A and ch B on the back of the I Nuke 3000's, similar to using a Y connector on the back of the sub. For Bridge mode on those amp, ch A is the correct ch to use. I know that but, I guess with the introduction of the I Nuke 6000 DSP something was altered with the synergy of the amps or possibly related to the new internet and TV coaxial wire ran in the same vacinity. I don't think it was a ground loop problem. The exact cause, I am not a 100% certain but, the problem is gone!

Thanks for all the suggestions, this got me thinking of how everything was wired. It is great to have learned so much being on this forum.

Edited by derrickdj1