NBS Case arrives; now with poll question

USNRET

Are you pleased?

Very much so! I asked that the preamp case match the VRD cases and he didn't have anything but crappy photo and my description to work with, it came out very nice and closely matches.

post-19886-0-64620000-1398207913_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 2

Are you pleased?

Very much so! I asked that the preamp case match the VRD cases and he didn't have anything but crappy photo and my description to work with, it came out very nice and closely matches.

Outstanding... I'm glad that the end result is pleasing...

Wish I knew how to operate a camera but this ipad photo will have to do

more info... I love good wood working.

Schu, I assume you are asking for more info on the case not my camera skills.

I bought the NBS from a forum member sans case. At the same time I decided to take the VRDs out of the rack so they could breathe a little better (I was using a PC fan) and I wanted to put them out where they could be seen. With the VRDs now sitting on the glass topped L&R Belles and the NBS sitting center seat out in the open I needed a case.

When I had Craig build the VRDs several years ago I asked that they be made from and stained in walnut to match my Peach case. So now it was up to Tom Keady to color match the NBS while I was in the middle of applying a gloss coat on the VRDs. While not perfectly matched, they are closer than one would expect. I had considered having new cases made for the VRDs and have the NBS made from Rosewood to match the speakers but the cost of Craig dis-assembly and re-assembly along with the cost of 3 cases put an end to that idea.

I did ask Tom if he would entertain making a case for my Jolida CD and since he didn't hang up on me I guessed he wasn't too opposed to custom work. Actually, he was ready to make whatever I wanted.

Great work Tom! Still enjoying the JM Blueberry I got from you :)

Thanks. The JM Blueberry is a great piece, only sold it because I had JM Merlin (hot-rodded by Craig) and no need for the phono section at the time.
  • Like 1

Beautiful. I wonder how the slots were cut?

To hear Tom tell it, they were rough cut with a chisel, trimmed with a butter knife and smoothed with a half round bastard file.

But I think he used a weed eater with a disc blade and he was just funning me. It looks like he used a laser.

Edited by USNRET