Forte II Large or Small in Audyssey

Willne1

LFE+Mains does nothing with speakers set to Small.

This is also true, LFE+Mains is a setting that is for the Large setting only.

This should be set to LFE , speakers to Small and then experiment with the crossover point. The crossover point that should work the best will be determined by how low your speakers go and what makes a good blending point for your subwoofer and speaker.

Again using Large means NO crossover is used, even if you can set a crossover point it does nothing.

Also yes it's very true to use what sounds the best, however with a little learning and experimenting you can discover what really does sound the best. There is a lot of difference between a hodge podge this sounds good and a well calibrated system, if you really want your systems sound quality to shine it takes a little learning and some experimentation.

LFE+Mains does nothing with speakers set to Small.

This is also true, LFE+Mains is a setting that is for the Large setting only.

This should be set to LFE , speakers to Small and then experiment with the crossover point. The crossover point that should work the best will be determined by how low your speakers go and what makes a good blending point for your subwoofer and speaker.

Again using Large means NO crossover is used, even if you can set a crossover point it does nothing.

Also yes it's very true to use what sounds the best, however with a little learning and experimenting you can discover what really does sound the best. There is a lot of difference between a hodge podge this sounds good and a well calibrated system, if you really want your systems sound quality to shine it takes a little learning and some experimentation.

You mean when set to Small I can set my Fortes to Xover at 40hz?

Again here is what the setting Large or Small really means and does.

Large = no crossover is used this is meant to be used when no subwoofer is used, the speakers in this case need every part of the signal. When Large is selected there is no crossover.

Small = crossover is used this is meant to be used when you use a subwoofer. You now set a crossover point at which the signal is either sent to the speaker or the subwoofer. You select a crossover point which works well with the speaker and subwoofer to make a good blend between the two, normally this should be just a little higher than lowest Hz the speakers perform.

There is an Audyssey setup guide that also has tons of good information on this topic.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/5700_50

Here is an Audyssey FAQ.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750_50#post_21782993

Edited by Rudy81

The above links should give you some good information.

I also want to mention that 40 Hz is probably a little low to use as a crossover point for your Fortes but try it and see. I'd recommend trying crossover points between 40 Hz and 60 Hz and doing a little experimenting as to which work best with your Fortes and your sub.

THX standard is 80Hz, I think this is too high when a good speaker is used, it limits the speaker a little too much.

Personally I think around 60 Hz will work best with your Fortes but experiment around and see. Your room and your subwoofer also have a lot to do with what actually works best

Yes the Large / Small setting really was done in a confusing way and it's something a lot of people really don't understand.

The LFE+Mains setting is something I'd never use, it's really kind of a bass boost system and is intended for people who have no subwoofer.

The Large setting is for a system with no subwoofer where your speakers are the largest (lowest Hz) in your system.

The Small setting is for a system with a subwoofer, where your speakers are NOT the largest (lowest Hz) speaker in your system, in this case your subwoofer is considered your largest (lowest Hz) speaker and a crossover in your receiver is used between your speaker and sub. The crossover is only used when a speaker is set to Small,

Kind of confusing when LFE+Mains is even available when the mains are set to Small you'd think it would be greyed out. Same with the Xover, when the speakers are set to Large you can still adjust the Xovers.

Some have a high pass xo also. Most say to run this at 120hz or off. But i have found 80hz works best. I realize i lose 80-120hz of content but this is again a case of what sounds best in my room.

Edited by reference_head

I changed everything to Small and 80HZ,cranked up my sub by 3db and set it to LFE+Mains ( not sure about that setting) but anyhow while watching Robert Plant on Palladia channel in Dolby Digital I hardly had any bass at all. My system sounded very thin almost reminded me of Bose...lol. What kind of material do you guys listen to for your adjustments music or movies or both? I had Dynamic EQ on and Reference Level Offset 10db. So far my old setting of Large Mains and 40 HZ Xover was better but I just started listening to this new setting. Also the Robert Plant concert may not have had much bass in it.

If it were me I would 1) Disengage that "+Mains" thing and go with running your speakers a Small and LFE. 2) I agree about either a 60 Hz or 80 Hz crossover for them 3) Run with DEQ on but Dyn Volume Off. 4) I listen to a lot of multichannel Music and with Robert Plant & the Band of Joy Blu ray I listen to it at -3 on the MV after Audyssey calibration and it sounds excellent and does have a lot of bass!

Btw, If you post your trim levels after running audyssey it could be helpful...I also didn't see what sub you were using but if you aren't getting the lower end you want then it's a setting in the AVR or a subwoofer issue.

EDIT: I also agree about going to the Audyssey Thread over at AVS to get good information.

Edited by tkdamerica