How to figure how much delay is needed

The Dude

elissr63,

In my case, the AVR 7.1 channel outputs go to my Xover.  The Xovers then separate each channel into the necessary drivers, setting the Xovers and allowing signal EQ if desired.  The outputs of the Xover go to the individual amps.  

REW is used when setting up the individual XO settings etc.  When everything is set, then I run Audyssey Pro to set the 'speaker' delays for the entire home theater.

One issue that I suspect exists that is a problem is this.  Once I set the XO and timing, I then run Audyssey last.  However, Audyssey might change the EQ near or at the XO point which, in effect, will likely change the timing etc.  That is if I understand what happens when you EQ a XO point AFTER having aligned it.  I just haven't figured out how to get around that issue.

• Like 1

As far as I know you are going to need a different Mic set-up for the delay. If you want to set the crossovers refer to one of the last post. It's not perfect but it works. Then you can run audyssey and see how it sounds. Going through the long detailed steps is for optimal sound.

What mic do I need for setting up the delay?

Isn't so much just the mic but the pre amp for the mic as well.  You have to be able to have a loop back, or something.  There is some talk about it through out my thread. 

• Like 1

As far as I know you are going to need a different Mic set-up for the delay. If you want to set the crossovers refer to one of the last post. It's not perfect but it works. Then you can run audyssey and see how it sounds. Going through the long detailed steps is for optimal sound.

What mic do I need for setting up the delay?
Isn't so much just the mic but the pre amp for the mic as well.  You have to be able to have a loop back, or something.  There is some talk about it through out my thread.
Well I guess i will have to rely on Audyessy to set it I guess.

I haven't read through the whole thread but in a nutshell, you need a calibrated mic external soundcard and software to measure. Then it is just setting up the software.

I have a calibrated mic, and REW, but no soundcard on a i3NUC.

You don't need a sound card with the minidsp UMIK-1 as it is a usb mic

This is the problem, unless it has change since I have started this thread.  There is no way to introduce a loop to the system so you can achieve what is needed.  Here is some info that might help. 

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/76138-umk-1-rew-help.html

I believe some of the info is stated in this post,  

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

The mic will do what is needed. It will not be as perfect as using the loopback, but it will get you close enough. You can use calculations to get a baseline start then look at the frequency response at the crossover point. When drivers are time aligned and level matched using a LR 24db slope it will be flat at the crossover. The first thing is to make sure the drivers are level matched then you can mess with the delay and dial the delay in until you get it as flat as possible at the crossover point. Also speaker time alignment is only perfect at the place you align them at.  You can also run a measurement sweep in rew and look at the impulse response. If one driver is delayed it will show up in the time between impulse response peaks.

Edited by shepjk01
  • Like 2

FWIW:  The Altec Voice of the Theater guys used to wire the treble horn in reverse polarity, then put in a sine wave for the crossover frequency, and move the treble horn back and forth until a dip appeared at the crossover frequency.  Then, they'd return the wiring to normal.

It is much easier to detect the resulting dip, which could be 20 or 40 dB or more deep, than to find a 3 dB peak.

So if you can make a sine wave, you can adjust the delay and look for this phenomenon.

It may not be possible to get every frequency "time aligned." 

WMcD

• Like 1