Klipsch KP-201

TSPhillips

Hello, I volunteer for sound at a church and we were just given a handful of audio equipment to use in a new space. Among the items we received are a pair of Klipsch speakers that are labled KP-201 on the back, but don't look like the KP-201 in the picture on the Klipsch website here: http://www.klipsch.com/kp-201/details. The boxes we have are not as deep, wooden in construction, and have a cloth grill. On the back of the speakers there is a banana plug connection, a fuse, and a male XLR connection. The KP-201 on the website is described as a professional level speaker, but we thought the speakers we got look more like they are intended for home audio use rather than live music. Can anyone tell me more about these speakers? Are they PA speakers like the one in the link, or were we right about them being a home audio product? How desirable are they in their intended application? A person on a live audio forum suggested that the Klipsch name could command a high price selling it if the product line is well regarded. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Check out this sales document:

Klipsch KP-201's

It discusses that there are 4 versions of the 201, the KP-201A, the KP-201B, the KP-201-FO, and the KP-201-BR. The last two are oiled oak and unfinished birch.

One more thing. The KP-201 is basically a Heresy II.

Edited by mustang guy

Thanks for the info. Looking at the brochure, it does seem the speakers are made for situations where the listeners are fairly close to them. Do you think they would work well in a church setting though? I looked up the heresy speaker and it was apparently a best seller in that market some time ago. Our church is probably much louder than ones back then, though.

We just have 2 201's. We set up the cheaper, uglier, but more PA-looking speakers for the mains. We don't have any subs. Music style is CCM rock (Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, etc) and black gospel. If I set up the KP's, they'd be mains. Room is fairly small, 25x40, but I think this congregation will want it pretty loud. I'd like to get a sub, especially for the type of music we're doing, we just don't have one (or any money for one) at the moment.

I'm in northeast Florida. I'm not sure what price I should charge for the speakers. I'm not familiar with what they go for or what kind of condition the important stuff is in. Haven't gotten a chance to test them.

I'm a long way from Florida, so I'm out. If you post pictures, perhaps I could give you a quick appraisal.

As for loudness, well that depends on what you are looking for. Those are very capable speakers, but they don't extend into the bass region all that well. What I think you should do is try them out and see how you like them. Adding a couple of nice sized subs would do a lot for the overall sound. Just about any PA type speaker would benefit from subs. I would recomend you look at the Bill Fitzmaurice subwoofer plans. In particular the T-30 subs. You could set the KP-201 right on top of each one. The dimensions of the T-30 are 30" tall X 30" deep X 16-30" wide depending on how wide you build them. You could build a pair for $400-500, and you would need to add a pro amp to power them. It would need a low pass filter. The Yamaha P2500S (~$350) would be enough to power both subs.

Why sell them? Well, first of all, we thought they weren't made for the task, which I've learned is not the case, but there are still a couple more reasons. Mainly since the other speakers work, surprisingly well given their price tag, the money we could get for the KP's may be more valuable to us than the better quality sound they make, and definitely more than the money we could get selling the other speakers. No final decision has been made; we may set up the KP's and keep everything. I'll try to remember to get some pics tomorrow.

Those are definitely oiled oak, and they are very attractive. The holes should be repaired. Lowes and Home depot have stuff you can use. Simple job... Some 00 steel wool and re-oil would help a lot too. I think those are beautiful for Klipsch pro's.

If you decide you don't like what you hear: Cleaned up, and advertised as "KP-201 - pro Heresy II's - Oiled Oak", they should bring $375-500 for the pair on Ebay. Add your cost for packing and shipping. Use U-Haul Dish barrels and lots of internal padding.

I would actually love to own them. Love to...

I'd love those. Rock them in the choice! They will get plenty loud, like another member stated, they are basically Heresy ii's, perhaps a little more beefed up and a Heresy ii is 2/3rds a K-Horn.....loud wont be a problem. That being said, the Heresy's are not renowned for bass response so a sub would probably be in order. A good sub can usually be found on CL at a reasonable price.