Best Tubed Receiver for Vintage 1980 Klipsch Heresy HWL Speakers?

ehehr1955

I am putting together my first ever stereo system (turntable, speakers, receiver), and I recently purchased a pair of vintage 1980 Klipsch Heresy HWL speakers. My dad had a similar pair when I was younger, so I purchased them partly for nostalgia and sentimental reasons. My earliest musical listening experiences were through Klipsch. They had a tremendous impact on me and are a huge reason why I'm a musician today.

My next step is getting a tubed receiver. All the research I've done on the vintage Heresy speakers suggest that the Heresys really sing through tubed instead of solid state, as that is what they were designed for. They also recommend getting a receiver or amp with a mid level controller.

So far, I've been looking at Marantz (specifically the 2270 and 2275 model), Mcintosh, and Fischer. However, I'm also trying not to break the bank and am open to other suggestions. I will only be playing vinyl through this set-up.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions, recommendations, or advice. I'm brand new to this! Thanks!

post-58365-0-12380000-1398292304_thumb.j

I am a fan of Fisher. Back in the day they were considered top shelf, and equal in price to McIntosh. Today, the gear is less expensive by a wide margin. If you are looking for a receiver rather than preamp-amp, then look at the 500C and 800C models. They are the flagships, unless I am mistaken. Lots of good data on them, and they will at least hold their value if they don't go up in value.

post-47699-0-03060000-1398296857_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

The 800C is identical except it also has AM radio.

Interesting.... That used to be important to me.

Now a days there is no way I'm going to fire up my Fisher to listen to AM talk radio....

But you are right, it is a feature of the 800C.

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 1

Yeah, just get the cheapest of the two if you are going Fisher. I don't know about the A and B models. Boxx, do you know what they changed between series?

I'm not sure myself....

If he does get The Fisher, it is important to check and see if the unit has been updated. There are a few tweaks that need to be completed to make the receiver ready for play in our new era. A good tech can better explain it than me.

Ehehr, welcome to the forum. Though something from the Reference line is what interested me with Klipsch. Heresies were the first Klipsch I purchased, I know power them with a H.H.Scott 222c which is a wonderful sounding amp. What do you know, there is a fellow Klipsch forum member selling something right here no the forum. I don't know what your price range is but here is a good one.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149526-hh-scott-lk72-nos-valves-rebuild/

I haven't heard the Fisher units myself, but I garrantte you can trust Boxx, and MG on their recommendations for a good product. Good luck with the search and have fun, there is alot to learn around here, along with great deals none the less.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm trying to keep the price range under $600, but will bite the bullet if something out of this world pops up! Will definitely check out everything that has been recommended. At this point, I'm leaning towards a Marantz 2270 or 2275. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on pairing one of those with a pair of Heresies?

I'm leaning towards a Marantz 2270 or 2275.
You do realize that these are solid state units? Which is OK. Both of these receivers, when up to spec's, are very good units.

The Marantz (in working order!) - although it's solid state - seem to be a bit closer to the price range I'm looking at, although I'm checking out a Fisher 500c tomorrow thats going for $625. We'll see what happens! I'd of course prefer tubed to solid state.

Although Heritage Klipsch speakers do like tubes, Heresy's sound terrific on solid state as well. I'm not saying full horn Heritage speakers do not, but they were designed for tubes, and it is tubes which can make them sing best. The Heresy being a reflex, is more akin to modern speakers Klipsch sells, which of course are designed for solid state.

The first time I heard Heresy's was in 1982, and they were being powered by a 100WPC JVC receiver, and man did they ever sound great!

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Awesome you made it aboard here at klipsch. I certainly admire your direction and driving force.

Heresy on tubes with lp. Easy thing is that as are stage monitors extremely efficient your heresy' are as well..

You can use your speakers with the smallest of amp around and will get equal what most speakers output with their lower efficiency..

In your situation i would certainly find great appeal in a simple 12x12 integrated tube amplifier.

Also if you find more watts it will also provide incredible sound..

Still with 12wpc and even a few less or more with all proper functioning units all speakers(networks etc..), amplifier and playback machine of your choice aprox 12x12 watts will offer so great of sound. Very ample.

Just helping open the possibilities to more to get the best of experience each listen you have...

Cheers

• Like 2

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

A bit of a delayed welcome, but better late than never. :)

Here is a list of marantz receivers in the region you are interested:

In 22xx , the xx means watts per channel.
In 23xx, the xx means 100+xx watts per channel.
Hope this helps
Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

A bit of a delayed welcome, but better late than never. :)

Here is a list of marantz receivers in the region you are interested:

In 22xx , the xx means watts per channel.
In 23xx, the xx means 100+xx watts per channel.
Hope this helps

That is exactly what i wanted to post on the lines of marantz...

I will say and sure there are gentlemen around here that run these very models of marantz with heresys...

That said...They work great together...I do have to say they are grrreat choices, any of them. A tube amp with heresy' and turntable will melt a stone cold killer...

• Like 1

I have Cornwalls, and bought an Emotiva Stealth DAC and hooked it up to a CD Player into a vintage Dynaco ST70 tube amp. I tried it through a Bryston preamp, but decided I don't really need it. The DAC has a remote for power and volume controls and don't need the preamp/receiver. I get a very full and balanced sound.

• Like 1

This is fresh nos unit..and a very trustworthy forum local..and a very, very good deal. Fits anybodys bill...cheers

link to sale on this forum:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149567-fisher-400-receiver-restored-rockin/#entry1720461

I have The Fisher 400 with about $1000 invested and I have Mcintosh mc30's with preamp that I have $2000 into. none are for sale

Played them against each other a little one night on some KHorns. I don't know if it was the music, a little beer, or what? But that particular night The Fisher won the shoot out for the first time.

So you can spend more money on the McIntosh and you may like it better. Or you can spend a little less on The Fisher and have a good Tube Receiver.

We all have choices to make. Let them be informed and not regretted.

John

Edited by Taz