Best Tubed Receiver for Vintage 1980 Klipsch Heresy HWL Speakers?

ehehr1955

I have Cornwalls, and bought an Emotiva Stealth DAC and hooked it up to a CD Player into a vintage Dynaco ST70 tube amp. I tried it through a Bryston preamp, but decided I don't really need it. The DAC has a remote for power and volume controls and don't need the preamp/receiver. I get a very full and balanced sound.

I thinking about this, this morning. You could find a good deal on a ST70, or even the ST35 to start. Use something with volume control, and when you get a tt you can up grade to something with a phono pre.

Hey all

Just wanted to provide an update: purchased a Fisher 500c receiver today. About to hook up the Heresy speakers but am wondering what ohm's I should run them at. The Fisher has 16ohm/8ohm/4ohm options. Should I run the Heresies at 8ohm? Thanks for all your help.

• Like 1

Congratulations.....

8 ohm....

Thanks for the info. I appreciate everyones help and advice since I'm a rookie to this all.

I'm also noticing that the speaker wire hook-up in the back of the Heresies have binding posts instead of spring terminals. I'm wondering how to properly connect the speaker wires to these. It also appears as though I'm missing a few screws in back. There currently is only one between both speakers.

post-58365-0-86100000-1398385804_thumb.j

Congratulations.....

8 ohm....

Thanks for the info. I appreciate everyones help and advice since I'm a rookie to this all.

I'm also noticing that the speaker wire hook-up in the back of the Heresies have binding posts instead of spring terminals. I'm wondering how to properly connect the speaker wires to these. It also appears as though I'm missing a few screws in back. There currently is only one between both speakers.

Looks like 1 more screw to the bottom of that(in the pic)then use a spade connector...screw them snug and your golden..8ohms

eBay seller chanler.young & other sellers, I'm sure, sell adators to allow the use of Banana Plugs & I THINK these are them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Adapter-Fisher-Mcintosh-Eico-Amp-Banana-Plug-SPADE-/140614022590?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20bd3fb5be

Though I have not used those on my speakers, as I just had some good spades. But I have used them on my MC, and H.H.Scott gear and I thought they work great.

Hey all

Just wanted to provide an update: purchased a Fisher 500c receiver today. About to hook up the Heresy speakers but am wondering what ohm's I should run them at. The Fisher has 16ohm/8ohm/4ohm options. Should I run the Heresies at 8ohm? Thanks for all your help.

Good choice. We want pics and feedback! :)

If the 500C hasn't been serviced, You need to get that done very soon. Emilio Ciardiello posted a very nice article concerning capacitors "Replacing old capacitors". Like many techs, he is in the school of "if it aint broke, don't fix it". He believes that reforming vintage caps is the best way to go, but he does talk about testing for insulation leaks as well as capacitance. That is probably over your head, but suffice it to say, it is important to get it serviced, or get a variac and reform the caps.

• Like 1

Hey all

Good choice. We want pics and feedback! :)

If the 500C hasn't been serviced, You need to get that done very soon. Emilio Ciardiello posted a very nice article concerning capacitors "Replacing old capacitors". Like many techs, he is in the school of "if it aint broke, don't fix it". He believes that reforming vintage caps is the best way to go, but he does talk about testing for insulation leaks as well as capacitance. That is probably over your head, but suffice it to say, it is important to get it serviced, or get a variac and reform the caps.

Without a doubt, you do not want it to run too "hot."

My next step is getting a tubed receiver. All the research I've done on the vintage Heresy speakers suggest that the Heresys really sing through tubed instead of solid state, as that is what they were designed for.

welcome to the forum Eh...

that idea is NOT entirely a truism but I understand it.

any heritage DOES indeed sound wonderful through a tube amp... but they also can sound wonderful through a Solid State Unit. the trick is, finding a SS unit that will deliver tube like richness and a wonderfully black floor. PWK has written his feelings on SS and it's not a bad opinion from the things I have seen.

good luck with your quest.

Edited by Schu

Congratulations.....

8 ohm....

As long as ya don't loose ya nuts ya be alright. Most of us have at least a few screws loose if not totally gone.

• Like 1