Restoring KP-201A's (pro Heresy II)

I just bought 4 KP-201A's from which I have restored two into perfect condition. The two I have left have 1 missing woofer, 1 wrong (Eminence branded) woofer, a blown squaker, 1 missing grille, and a blown tweeter. I want to get these two speakers restored, but I'm not sure to do about the missing parts. The woofs should be K-24-K's, and the tweeter should be a K-76-K, and the squaker should be a K-53-K. I plan on making a new grille using one I have as a template. I would like to find 4 good black and white Klipsch badges if I can find them for not too much.

BTW, these speakers sound fantastic!

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

I need ideas, or I need the following:

2 ~ K-24-K woofers

1 ~ K-76-K tweeter or diaphragm

1 ~ K-53-K squaker or diaphragm

4 ~ pro type Klipsch badges that would look nice

These are Heresy II's in pro clothing, so anything that works in an H2 will work on one of these. I have exactly $330 invested in these 4 speakers including gas money, so I think I am in the green financially, but I have to watch it. These don't carry the same value of Heresy II's.

I had thought about having the 2 purist ones and make the other pair different. I don't want something that sounds like crap, and I am struggling with calling myself a restorer if I stoop to this.

Your Eminence woofer may, or may not be a good match. Call Eminence and ask, or get the Theil-Small parameters on your woofer and compare to the K-24-K, it they are unwilling to tell you. Since Eminence make most of Klipsch's woofers, it might be good.

You can get grilles, squawker and tweeter diaphragms ($50 to $75) from Klipsch. Maybe Bob Crites has diaphragms, too. Klipsch should have woofers, too, but if they cost too much, try ebay.

If they are over 25 years old, consider replacing the crossover capacitors.

I need ideas, or I need the following:

2 ~ K-24-K woofers

1 ~ K-76-K tweeter or diaphragm

1 ~ K-53-K squaker or diaphragm

4 ~ pro type Klipsch badges that would look nice

These are Heresy II's in pro clothing, so anything that works in an H2 will work on one of these. I have exactly $330 invested in these 4 speakers including gas money, so I think I am in the green financially, but I have to watch it. These don't carry the same value of Heresy II's.

I had thought about having the 2 purist ones and make the other pair different. I don't want something that sounds like crap, and I am struggling with calling myself a restorer if I stoop to this.

Ironically, I have all the Heresy II parts (Heresy crossovers, not KP201 ones) but no cabinets. If you decide to sell them (cabinets with or without parts) let me know.

You can get diaphragms for K76 and K53/57 (there is a used one right now) on EBay and use Eminence Delta 12lfa for the woofers.

K53/57 diaphragm...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151286523066?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edited by cheric

Good tips. Thank you both.

Are the Theile/Small parameters available for the K-24-K?

Here is a comparison chart I made up using the recommended Delta012LFA, the Beta-12A I have, and a K-22-K I found in an old post. I do realize that in a small sealed enclosure there won't be huge differences in outcomes. I haven't actually tried the Eminence driver in the enclosure yet, and given the similarities between the Delta and the beta, I really should. I may end up just buying a second Beta-12A!

eminence.pdf

Edited by mustang guy

Thank you, that was extremely helpful! I added the K-24-K to WinISD along with the beta12A and the Delta12LFA. Here is the resulting curve comparing the 3 different woofers in a Heresy II sized sealed enclosure.

Yellow = Klipsch K-24-K

Cyan = Eminence Delta-12LFA

Pink = Eminence Beta-12A

edit: I have attached the WinISD (.wdr) files for WinISD for the 3 drivers in a (.zip) file...

post-47699-0-52540000-1399143439_thumb.j

drivers.zip

Edited by mustang guy

Are the Theile/Small parameters available for the K-24-K?

Wild horse, oh sorry, mustang ...

It took me a few days to search through my "file collection" but I found it. Here is your K22/24 specifications.

Cheric, do you have more of these sheets? I would like to have them, so I can put together a WinISD file with as many K-xxx drivers as possible. One thing I notice about the Klipsch drivers is that they have lower power handling, and more importantly very much lower fs frequencies. In the plot above, it is plain to see that the K-24-k driver is much more capable of lower frequencies, at a cost of power handling. In my opinon, that is preferred. To be perceived as twice as loud as a 100 watt speaker, you need a 1,000 watt speaker. Having that extra 150 watts really only means a few decibels. I'd much rather have the bass.

I have run WinISD on all of the Eminence 12" drivers, and all comparable drivers Parts Express sells, and THE closest match to the K-22-K and the K-24-K is the Visaton W300-8 12" Woofer 8 Ohm, which sells for $127/pair plus shipping. That's not a bad price.

Here is the WinISD chart. What I don't particularly like is the foam surround on these speakers, but I do like the 120 watt rating.

White = K-22-K

Blue = K-24-K

Yellow = Visaton W300-8

post-47699-0-76020000-1399169120_thumb.j

Well let me tell you cheric, that document is a jewel! I'm sure many here would love to have the TS data on the rest of the heritage woofers. I am going to create a new thread with heritage driver TS specs beginning with your document.