How do I diagnose the problem?

st. patrick

Hey guys (and gals), embarrassed to ask BUT where do I start?

Listening to vinyl on a VPI Scout with Sumiko bluebird (blackbird?). McIntosh 240 and Juiicy Music BBX. Suddenly the vocals (both Neil Diamond and Joan Baez) sounded muddled. Know Diamonds and Rust album well and put it on after Neil Diamond sounded weird. Confirmed it wasn't the album, but the system.

How do I decide if it comes from the amp or the pre amp???

I note one of the tubes on the 240 doesn't "glow", but where do I start ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance, Patrick

Does this happen with digital or other sources the same as with LP's?

Craig, good question, as I assume that would tell us if it is in the pre amp/phono section. I only have the TT hooked up in this system but will move a CD player and hook up, but can't do until tomorrow.

Thank you, Patrick

Absolutely. We can narrow it down further also. If the problem is still present with a CD player into the preamp then go CD directly into the MC240 inputs that have the level controls per channel to control the volume. If the problem is still present then you know its in the amp if not its the preamps line stage. Once you get it narrowed down feel free to give me a call to go further since it will get more complicated.