RC-64 Clarity

Hypoxia

What I think I'm hearing is although further testing is needed the majority seem to think it is the amp. I also understand the comments about the RF-7 positioning, I should turn them upside down & see what that sounds like. :o You can see from the photo that the options are limited as long as there is an opposite polarity influence & I'll be here till they carry me out in a pine box! For a number of years I have kicked around the idea of something like the Emotiva XPA-5 and UMC-200. It seems like once you get a good amp it should last forever but the technology always outdates the preamp, processor and the inputs keep changing.

Highly recommended. I would still own them had I not stumbled upon the one I have now. I would recommend you buy a new one for the fact is has a lower gain than the old ones. I recommend that to you because of the rf-7's you have. Other have said they can hear a slight hiss cause of the high efficency. Newer one you shouldn't hear. Older one, maybe take a chance. You can catch them in sale from time to time for 10% off. As well once in a while emotiva has warehouse sales where they sell a ton of b stock stuff. Could possibly get a new b stock xpa-5 for 7-800. Still comes with new warranty. I've owned lots of b stock emo gear. Good stuff.

With the 7's so high the woofer is near level to the center. There some real interference in that case. That is one of the reasons for xo the center above 60 Hz. I don't think autocalibration can do a good job with the speaker position. The 7's need to be on the floor, the soundstage needs to be spead out. The center and mains don't always play at the same time and are producing different frequencies. The amp/avr may be a problem but, I will stick with the set. The RC 64 is a monster center that you should not have a problem hearing unless like Willand said, the room is real reflective.

With the 7's so high the woofer is near level to the center. There some real interference in that case. That is one of the reasons for xo the center above 60 Hz. I don't think autocalibration can do a good job with the speaker position. The 7's need to be on the floor, the soundstage needs to be spead out. The center and mains don't always play at the same time and are producing different frequencies. The amp/avr may be a problem but, I will stick with the set. The RC 64 is a monster center that you should not have a problem hearing unless like Willand said, the room is real reflective.

Do I understand that you may be inferring that the autocalibration may not work due to the positioning and in your opinion a manual calibration may be required? I realize positioning is a big issue.

Edited by Hypoxia

+1

You could possibly build a cradle kind of stand to direct your f7's down and towards your listening position from the ent stand. I have never mounted an rf7 or f7ii on the wall or in similar position although they were indeed built to project best staging at ground level.

I will ad...I have seen rf7's in studio use as monitors mounted above and at angles. Not to contradict my previous statement above i have just not seen it done in a permanent theater situation...The studio mount rf7's were actually rear set staging monitors for extra effects and not normally used.

On the floor you would/will get a night and day change much like changing a cd or bluray(to a new one for playback)...simply, completely different.

I'm using DeanG RF-7's in front with an RC-64 center channel and Paradigm rears driven by a Yamaha RX-V3900. I always struggle to understand the verbage through the center channel while watching movies. I always assumed it was my hearing but after a recent hearing test I know that is not the case, at least not entirely. The center volume is good, I'm just wondering what I can do to improve the enunciation?

I'd say disable every other speaker in the channel and let the center play by itself and make receiver adjustment as needed. Depending on where your center is and your sitting location and distance, you may have to tilt-up/down the speaker - this is the biggest impact with respect to vocal enunciation, imho. I have my 64 laid flat, no tilt, at ~5ft from floor with me sitting about ~9ft away and the vocal output I was hearing was terrible. I then adjust it, tilting it down, so that angle of speakers are firing towards my sitting area and just about ~3ft above floor or at ear level. The change made such a big impact. I then adjust the volume setting as desired. See my draft for example.

If you're mathematically inclined, I'm not, you can calculate the exact angle of tilt based on ear level and distance. What I did is got my two-way laser level and placed it at the center-side of the speaker and then marked the angle when the laser line was just about the ear level. I did the same for the res of my surrounds and the result is absolutely amazing. Try it.

post-26004-0-15820000-1398779155_thumb.j

The RF 7 woofer should not be close to the center speaker. The tweeter woks better near that speaker. Autocalibration tries to get a good sound in every room but, all of them have limitations depending on speaker setup, room, gear, ect. That is why it is still important to stick to some of the basic HT setup guides. Talk the wife into speakers on the floor if possible. There is certainly room from looking at the picture. Let her buy something to decorate the room that she would really like. Begging works for me in some situations, lol.

• Like 1

I think this is something that cant be fixed

Don't laugh. Turn the RF-7's upside down and recalibrate. The tweeters on the front 3 speakers will all be lined up and you'll still have the speakers where they are. You're already loosing room gain with the speakers off the floor so having the woofers a little higher shouldn't be any worse than what you have now. I'd expect it would sound tremendously better.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

My tombstone will read "Left alone he foolishly rearranged the furniture"

It does sound better & everything is aimed at the main listening area. I haven't really checked it out yet. I about got a hernia moving them but I can always blame that on you guys!

20140506_112657_zpse3c3ca2f.jpg