Palladium Owners - What amp(s) are you using?

DEP14

So I'm in the market for a new amp (5-7 channel probably) to drive my P37's, P27, and 525THX surrounds.

Pre-amp is a Marantz AV8801.

System is a dual purpose Music/HT. Music takes priority (because lets be honest, all klipsch speakers work great for HT regardless of amp)

I'm currently using an older Harman amp (old school, US built stuff). I like it actually, but it's time to try to improve.

The one thing I have found with the Palladiums, at high DB's (90db+) a lot of rock recordings, in particulary garbage digitally remastered stuff can get too bright. Symbols just get too forward and bright. I tried a Butler 5150 with the speakers, and while a wonderful amp (that I loved in every regard other than it brought that out more).

So, looking into a new amp. Would love to hear what other are using, and what you think in regards to the top end. I've kicked around everything from class D wyred 4 sound, to sunfire, Parasound Halo a51.. a used Mcintosh even.

So, would love to hear what you are using and what you think.

Keep what you have for HT and add tube gear for 2 channel music listening incorporate a Niles switch to choose between the 2 setups.I think you would be shocked at the difference.

I would love to do that, but right now space dictates I have to use a 5-7 channel amp...

Eliminated Parasound last night (aweome amp, but not the right mix..)

kicking around a used McIntosh, maybe an Acurus (mixed reviews on if they are bright or not), Wyred 4 Sound, or sunfire, or maybe if I can swing a used Classe..

But, still open to any suggestions. Suppose I should post in the HT forum.

Aragon is the higher end brand compared to Acurus. They make some nice gear. http://www.ebay.com/...4175979?lpid=82

Derrick,

That Aragon 2005 is 95% same as the Acurus A200FIVE that you own. Cosmetics and (2) 24,000 microfarad power caps instead of the Acurus's (2) 23,000 caps. With that said, either might struggle a bit with a full 5 channel Klipsch Palladium setup at continuous high spl's.

The 4004, 8008BB, 8008ST, 8008x3, 8008x5, and Palladium monoblocks are the real powerhouses of the Mondial Aragon line. Any of these amps will have no problem powering Klipsch Palladiums.

As much as I love those Acurus amps, especially their bass driving prowess, they do not have the low impedence driving capabilities that their bigger brother Aragons do.

Bill

Edited by willland

So I'm in the market for a new amp (5-7 channel probably) to drive my P37's, P27, and 525THX surrounds.

Pre-amp is a Marantz AV8801.

System is a dual purpose Music/HT. Music takes priority (because lets be honest, all klipsch speakers work great for HT regardless of amp)

I'm currently using an older Harman amp (old school, US built stuff). I like it actually, but it's time to try to improve.

The one thing I have found with the Palladiums, at high DB's (90db+) a lot of rock recordings, in particulary garbage digitally remastered stuff can get too bright. Symbols just get too forward and bright. I tried a Butler 5150 with the speakers, and while a wonderful amp (that I loved in every regard other than it brought that out more).

So, looking into a new amp. Would love to hear what other are using, and what you think in regards to the top end. I've kicked around everything from class D wyred 4 sound, to sunfire, Parasound Halo a51.. a used Mcintosh even.

So, would love to hear what you are using and what you think.

with those nice speakers get a pair of VRD'S and a 3 ch amp for the center and surrounds

The one thing I have found with the Palladiums, at high DB's (90db+) a lot of rock recordings, in particulary garbage digitally remastered stuff can get too bright.
Try a Behringer DEQ2496 digital EQ. I love this thing. :emotion-21:

I have a pair of 38s powered by a 7x100 Yamaha avr, I know these speakers are begging for more power. I hope to go to tube power some day.

I bet its not quantity as much as the quality of the power. I'd love to hear what a Palladium user found when powering those babies with quality tube gear for "2 channel" music. If its anything like the way RF-7's respond it would be a real treat.

• Like 1

We already discussed this, but I am planning on using a Denon AVR 5800 (170 wpc) to drive 5 full size palladiums and 2 small rear speakers. I had all sorts of really expensive monoblocks before and my Musical Fidelity A308CR dual mono (200 wpc) amp does just as good of a job with speakers that are not hungry for a ton of current (about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the previous monoblocks).

Hopefully the Denon will do as good of a job. I want to just press 1 button to turn it on, not run all over the room turning on monoblocks...

I have a pair of 38s powered by a 7x100 Yamaha avr, I know these speakers are begging for more power. I hope to go to tube power some day.

I bet its not quantity as much as the quality of the power. I'd love to hear what a Palladium user found when powering those babies with quality tube gear for "2 channel" music. If its anything like the way RF-7's respond it would be a real treat.

It's good

I am planning on using a Denon AVR 5800
I've used all kinds of preamps over the last 10+ years since I got serious in this hobby......recently I went back to using a Denon 3805 AVR that I use as a preamp only. It's a match made in heaven with my KLF-30's.