If you had a CHOICE ?

I am on the fence about something. It is my belief that most upgrades come from familiarity, IE... I am very used to the sound of my setup and so become a tad bored at times and begin to think how can i Improve my sound (of course just a few months ago when current setup was new it sounded awesome and I was super happy)

I have not quite figured out how to get passed that and just be content with what I hear :angry:

Heres my question

If you could buy a new speaker that allowed you to keep current setup and add the new speakers so you could change back and forth when the urge for something different hit you

or you could buy some Hi Res albums to add to your collection.

which would you do ??

I have become so involved with equipment that I have lost track of the music. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it is true. I am running all over looking at stuff on CL, or watching EBay, or switching this or that, or agonizing over the ghost hum issue. At some point I have to conclude that good enough, is good enough and start spending time listening to new artists or updating my collection.

Also, I guess it depends on what you currently have. If I had a very modest system, it would make more sense to look for great deals and jump on them. This takes a lot of time though.( If only I could get those damn tube amps working)

• Like 1

I used to get that all the time. My solution was to go audition new speakers. After a frustrating day of listening to very expensive systems, somehow my system sounded SO MUCH BETTER when I got home.

In other words.... go buy new music!

• Like 4

I used to get that all the time. My solution was to go audition new speakers. After a frustrating day of listening to very expensive systems, somehow my system sounded SO MUCH BETTER when I got home.

In other words.... go buy new music!

Yup! and especially go and explore new genres...that can be a real eye(ear)-opener.

I am on the fence about something. It is my belief that most upgrades come from familiarity, IE... I am very used to the sound of my setup and so become a tad bored at times and begin to think how can i Improve my sound (of course just a few months ago when current setup was new it sounded awesome and I was super happy)

I have not quite figured out how to get passed that and just be content with what I hear :angry:

Heres my question

If you could buy a new speaker that allowed you to keep current setup and add the new speakers so you could change back and forth when the urge for something different hit you

which would you do ??

I haven't owned my K's for very long, but I still get the urge to break out the table saw and buy a set of Jamboree plans. Then the next day I'm surfing around and say, "I don't need new speaks, I need a amp to compliment my setup." The next day, its, I don't need any of that stuff, I really need a few room treatment panels. By Friday, I sit down, put on something good and realize just how good my system sounds to my ears and say to myself, "I actually need nothing.....except another glass of Bourbon"

• Like 1

Heres my question

which would you do ??

I haven't owned my K's for very long, but I still get the urge to break out the table saw and buy a set of Jamboree plans. Then the next day I'm surfing around and say, "I don't need new speaks, I need a amp to compliment my setup." The next day, its, I don't need any of that stuff, I really need a few room treatment panels. By Friday, I sit down, put on something good and realize just how good my system sounds to my ears and say to myself, "I actually need nothing.....except another glass of Bourbon"

Perhaps I need to start drinking :D

• Like 1

I have become so involved with equipment that I have lost track of the music. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it is true. I am running all over looking at stuff on CL, or watching EBay, or switching this or that, or agonizing over the ghost hum issue. At some point I have to conclude that good enough, is good enough and start spending time listening to new artists or updating my collection.

Also, I guess it depends on what you currently have. If I had a very modest system, it would make more sense to look for great deals and jump on them. This takes a lot of time though.( If only I could get those damn tube amps working)

Earl, If you had been on the forum from my start, you would have noticed the DOZENS of systems I put together, I went through the exact same thing you are now, and I find myself creeping back into it now (reason for this post)

I too lost the joy of music for a long time I used it as a tool so much to critique systems or components that I could not simply set back and listen / enjoy

It is a long road and you will learn alot, I would caution you to set back and ask yourself what means more to you

Music or System ? and follow that path (pot calling kettle black here :P )

I really appreciate the input here, It is helping me turn the tide a bit

• Like 1

H-ll im just getting geared up, coast to coast Huntin/shoppin/crusin/ for any/everything audio related, finely after 40+ years or workin for final enjoyment, I get to do it....... :emotion-22::D:emotion-46::emotion-46::emotion-46::wacko2::wacko2::wacko2::wacko2:

Do we have a new reality show in the making? The first episode of minermark & beeker, the "American Audio Pickers." Hi, I'm minermark! Hi, I'm beeker, We are the American Audio pickers and we travel around the country looking for anything audio. Your trash audio may be our next audio gold..... :emotion-14:

Actually, I set aside a little audio budget each year for 'audio picking' if something may be on my 'would like to try' list and seems like a good deal to me and set aside a little audio budget each year for a DIY project or two.

post-36163-0-06140000-1398784890_thumb.p

• Like 2

Joe youre sick... but most of us have the same illness. I believe you have a crazzy large musuc collection already... Id go with the upgrade.

If you go upgrade route... maybe ask the forum for sugestions. I'm a DIYer and so would lean toward sugestions that involve the solder iron.

the new speakers are actually headphones planer magnetics, vs the senn hd650, price of the phones 550.00, price of the new music on HDtracks is 200.00

guess I could stash the 350.00 for later and listen to 12 new high res files at 96-24 resolution

I have been itching to hear the planers, everyone says they are a marked improvement. If I go that route, maybe I need to delete all references to web sites that discuss headphones

If I don't read it I wont know about it, "DAMN you Head-Fi"

Joe youre sick... but most of us have the same illness. I believe you have a crazzy large musuc collection already... Id go with the upgrade.

If you go upgrade route... maybe ask the forum for sugestions. I'm a DIYer and so would lean toward sugestions that involve the solder iron.

I agree, I need help. and yes my music is something like 1500 albums alot of which I have yet to hear :( and a good selection of High res already exists in my collection.

My dIY is currently on hold for reasons you already know. I must live my soldering desires vicariously through you (my hands are much to shaky for soldering with any type decent results)

Which is why I am patiently awaiting your new Headphone amp Design :D

Not to hijack the thread... but I have an update to the SE-84 comming down the pipe... (All parts ordered... ) Wen done in 3 weeks I will send to you for a tire kicking session. I think youll approve. The dedieacted phones has been making me bonkers a bit... the grounding scheme is even more important. I hope to have fully debuged by June.

less equipment and more content!

once I reach a certain plateau of equipment satisfaction, I try and stay there for an extended period of time before contemplating another buying frenzy. Like most of you, I have hundreds of LP's and maybe a thousands of discs and there is ALWAYS more music to explore.

I get the equipment obsession and the quest for perfection... it is VERY INTOXICATING, but in the end it's all about the music/content.

the only time I really feel a need to move quickly into more equipment is when I get a major component and it doesn't deliver the expected results... I feel as if I do not remove it and find a solution quickly, that I will go nuts.

You can't fix crap. Your question is not valid, IMHO. The best source material available will do more for less that perfect speakers than perfect speakers will do for less than adequate source material. As a K'horn owner, I am fully aware of that. I have yet to hear anything that makes me feel the urge for new speakers.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

I suffer the sam affiction but, may be in remission for now. I am at the point that auditioning speakers is difficult unless I am in a different area and can find a new custom shop. I have been to all of the ones around me. I do like owning different series and different size speakers all on different amps. That breaks up the familarity somewhat. Recently, I have been getting more media to collect. Reaching you personal audio Nirvana is not as fun as the journey and dreaming about what you want or how would this sound. :D

Maybe we all should house swap for a day to play with each others gear. That sure would be a lot of fun!

Edited by derrickdj1

You can't fix crap. Your question is not valid, IMHO. The best source material available will do more for less that perfect speakers than perfect speakers will do for less than adequate source material. As a K'horn owner, I am fully aware of that. I have yet to hear anything that makes me feel the urge for new speakers.

Dave

Not trying to fix CRAP, as stated further on in the thread I have some very good music, (I also have some crap, but i tend to never play that as it drives me crazy) I am basically happy with my current setup, however I read SO MANY threads about how much better the planers are that I have been wanting to hear them for myself (no place to audition them locally)

My question is basically if you had a choice would you try new speakers or buy new music which happens to be hi res ?? this has nothing to do with fixing anything