KLF 20 bass tweaks?

I've recently done a brace job and refinish of my KLF20's. I've researched some posts on here pertaining to bass extension but most of the ones I found are for Fortes and Chorus models. I believe I found an old post once advising someone to increase the port length on the KLF20's to increase low bass extension. I've experimented with some rolled card board at varying lengths playing bass heavy rap and dubstep (I listen to the good stuff too.. lol). I don't know if the tracks I played weren't low enough in frequency extension but I couldn't tell a difference between stock ports, dual 3" extensions to the ports or one eight inch extended port and one plugged.

I can download some test tones and play them through my speakers. All I have is a spl meter. Should I play a low frequency like 30hz and see which port combo is loudest at a set volume on the knob? Also from what I have calculated I've lost about 3% in cabinet volume from the bracing. I don't know if this has affected bass or not, should have done one speaker first and a/b ed them.

I had read that poly fill is for sealed enclosures right? Will fiberglass stuffing improve bass response over the stock foam?

I have also read to keep damping materials in the top 2/3 of the cabinet for bass reflex speakers.

These speakers do a good job as is but I like to play them without a sub and want the best bass extension and impact I can get from them.

Unfortunately to get what you are trying will require a bigger cabinet and larger, longer ports. With the cabinet size the way it is you will likely only get a couple of hz lower with the longer ports, but due to their size, may not be large enough to make much of a difference. Longer ports and low bass eq might do the trick if you aren't up to building new boxes.

To get more punch, you're likely to lose a little of the lower extension. To get lower lows, you will lose some of the higher punch. Get them in the corners and experiment with different depths. IMO, this is your best solution short of a sub. The engineers work hard to get a relatively good response across the board. This is not saying you cant tailor fit the bass for your own sound, but its very likely they wont be as well rounded or correct on paper. Experimenting is fun, let your ears do the decision making.

Thanks guys, I really don't have any complaints, just constantly tinkering. I am currently running them with an Onkyo 9050 integrated amp with 75 wpc. It has a phace matching bass button which boosts around 80hz by 8db. That really adds punch to the bass. I little more extension would be nice but not essential. My living room is 15x26 with vaulted ceiling peaking in the middle at 10ft and 8 ft at the front and back. to the side is a foyer with higher ceilings. Its a mid entry house. The KLF 20's really do a good job of filling the room and the bass is pretty heavy and punchy at moderate to high volumes with bass button engaged and the dial at 2 oclock.

I've often wondered if I would benift from more power. I never have any problems with distortion at party levels with bass heavy music. Is there a meter I can buy to measure the power output?

• Like 1

Yeah, I had 20's and 30's in the room at the same time and there's a good chance you'll get much more of what you already have. Same sound basically but the 30's will have a bigger, fuller, warmer sound from my personal experience.....and they'll kick your *** compared to the 20's bass wise.

Of course you'll have to start all over as far as making sure the cabinets are up to snuff and changing the tweeter diaphrams. If you like the 20's, chances are you'll like the 30's even better. The key is making sure they are not handicapped in this regard. I've heard 30's sound like a joke plenty of times whether it be bad woofers, bad cabinets or stock tweeter diaphrams. IMO they are not as picky as far as ampflification compared to many other Klipsch......but they certainly shine with some amps/preamps compared to others.

I use subs with mine but they're kinda like my loudness button for low-medium volumes. When I want to crank it I turn the subs off to get them out of the way and let the 30's do their thing.

Edited by SWL

Thanks SWL, I may eventually get a pair of 30's if any come up for sale nearby. I have just finished putting a lot of time and effort into my 20's so I'll just enjoy them for a while. Its nice to hear a comparison from someone who has had them both together. That was actually my next question. How much difference would the 30's make...lol?

I agree about the subs. Even with my 20's and my middle of the road velodyne 12" (not sure the power rating), at higher volumes like at when I have a party the sub would often shut off and go into protect mode and we wouldn't even notice....lol.

Edited by Klipschtastic

• 2 weeks later...

I just eliminated my 12" dayton sub from my 30's, today, It just wasn't needed. I would turn the knobs on the sub and not notice any change. Pretty happy with the setup as for right now, But I know what you mean by tinkering... I constantly play with mine... :)